Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

For those who run staight race gas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who run staight race gas

Just wondering what brand you guys use. I just got a c16 tune done on my car. And after switching from the 91 to straigh vp c16 I now have a problem with fouling the stock plugs in my IX. Im not sure if you would call it fouling, but here is what happens. Within 40 miles of driving my car will no longer pull clean through the top of 3rd and 4th. It starts cutting out around 6k rpms and gets worse as the rpms go up. This is only under wot conditions. Now for the strange part. When I pull the plugs they are all covered in a white film. Im guessing this is the lead? Now If I trade plugs with my friend who also has a IX my car is back to normal and his car has no problems with breaking up. And just after a few wot pulls his car has cleaned the film off my plugs, (he is still running 91 pump) and I can put them back into my car and all is well. So my question is does this only happed with vp c16? This used to happen with our 8 too, but I figured that it just fouled the plugs so I would just put another set in(which was cheap since they were just copper's).

Has anyone else had any issues with running straight race gas? If I run a mix of 91 and c16 I dont have this problem.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

C16 is leaded and will foul your spark plugs and clog cats if you have them.

You should check out VP's streetblaze fuels that are for turbo applications and UNleaded.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
use colder plugs and play around with gapping them... start small and go up.. I don't know if you using different c16 from when you got your car tune but whenever you tune on one type of race gas, continue using that race gas because different brands have different formulas. when tuned for advanced timing on race gas, a different type of fuel may make your tune run differently.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

all high octane race gas is leaded. c10, c12 c14 c16 are all leaded
i'm sure you know that your not supose to be running a cat with race gas
but i think you just need colder plugs. i race c16 in my integra lots of time with out problems
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

How would colder plugs help the misfire? Its not knocking just not firing. Thanks for the reply. I also had this happen on the evo 8 and I ran colder plugs (br8's) and it would still do this. And yes I know its leaded and no Im not running a cat
Old Feb 6, 2007, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

I would give one of the good shops a call and I'm sure they could answer your questions quickly. They have heard it all if you know what I mean.

AMS, Buschur, Turbo Trix etc.etc.

Also who tuned you for VP C16?
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

You could always switch over to an unleaded race gas (100octane for example).

I have ran 100octane straight for 5 months with no other pump gas put in it and never had one problem.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

you can get 109 oct from vp its unleaded
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:46 AM

How would colder plugs help the misfire? Its not knocking just not firing. Thanks for the reply. I also had this happen on the evo 8 and I ran colder plugs (br8's) and it would still do this. And yes I know its leaded and no Im not running a cat
I've never heard of anything higher than 104 that is unleaded. Then again there is water, meth, propane, ethanol, other alky mixes that can alleviate all this.

The white on the plugs is likey NOT because its a lean mixture/in need of colder plugs. Smell them for christ sake, Im sure they'll smell nice and sweet. Its exactly what you are experiencing... lead. A great option if you wanted to keep your c16 tune is to possibly get some water injection of something. I had this issue on my old 92 TSi when I ran c16 for more than 100 miles are so. I ended up getting water injection, ditchign my propane injection, and running water with 91 octane all the time. Well the time came when I wanted my 11's so I filled it all the way up with C16. I drove hom that night from the track and wanted to leave the boost at 25psi so I tried the water with the leaded C16.
Needless to say, it seemed to me like a few pulls with the water cleaned off the plugs enough for me to run the C16 constantly and never have the fouled plug problem like I used to have without the water.

Food for thought...
Old Feb 7, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
109 Octane, with colder spark plugs NGK-BPR7ES.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Sean,

I had that problem when we ran our turbo hondas. When we raced competitively we pretty much changed the plugs before every pass to make sure they would get full ignition. Since our 9 plugs are expensive this isn't a solution that's viable...

On thing we can do possibly is detune your car for 100 octane. I recently did my car and the results were 335 wtq 344 whp.

Call me and let me know how I can help.

Thanks, Andy
Old Feb 7, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I also had that same problem when I used 1 tank of race gas. I just got new plugs and the problem went away. Its amazing what 1 tank of race gas does to coat everything in lead in you exhaust, plugs and o2 housing!
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

So what everyone is saying is that we can't run race gas all the time...that sucks...I was going to get tuned for race/meth with my GT30r and run that all day long but if I can't because I will be changing plugs all the time...I guess never mind ..
Old Feb 8, 2007, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

i heard using leaded gas can clog up the injectors...is this true?
Old Feb 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by OneFast4Door
So what everyone is saying is that we can't run race gas all the time...that sucks...I was going to get tuned for race/meth with my GT30r and run that all day long but if I can't because I will be changing plugs all the time...I guess never mind ..
This is a problem with leaded racegas. C16 is like 110+octane, VP GT Plus is 104oct. unleaded and is just like regular gas just that it allows you to run a lot more timing and boost because of the higher octane. The VP GT Plus 104oct. even has meth blended into it to add to the cooling properties of the fuel. I can imagine that either meth/alky or water might help the problem with the C16 leaded.

I remember that the black VIII that AMS built used C16+meth and that car was driven from IL to FL, so I can imagine that they have an idea on how to deal with the situation.

Quick Reply: For those who run staight race gas