Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

May seem noobish, but a little bit of help is needed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May seem noobish, but a little bit of help is needed

Well, I'm at the point where I need an oil change soon; however, I do not have the time to get an oil change done or do one myself within the next few weeks. Is it ok to simply add a little bit of oil so that it will last for a little bit? I know you can do this with other cars, but since this is a high performance vehicle, I'm not sure how much of an effect this will have on the car. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:47 PM

dont really see why that wouldnt work, just dont drive hard?

dont oil changes take less than 30min at some places?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Dont overfill your oil. Only add oil if it needs it
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding fresh oil to the dirty oil does not begin to address the issue unless the car is in need of an oil change in addition to being low on oil. At a minimum take the car to a Jiffy Lube type place,it wouldn't take more than 15 -20 mins. The only downside is that they don't use an OE filter,but considering your alternative fix, it's a lot better.

It is really important on any car, but especially so on turbocharged cars because of the added heat to change your oil frequently. If you don't have time to change the oil now,you'll spend even more time waiting to have your engine rebuilt or replaced if it's not maintained properly.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Bring your filter and oil to jiffy lube and tell them to use those. If that works, best of both worlds.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by t51splbb
Adding fresh oil to the dirty oil does not begin to address the issue unless the car is in need of an oil change in addition to being low on oil. At a minimum take the car to a Jiffy Lube type place,it wouldn't take more than 15 -20 mins. The only downside is that they don't use an OE filter,but considering your alternative fix, it's a lot better.

It is really important on any car, but especially so on turbocharged cars because of the added heat to change your oil frequently. If you don't have time to change the oil now,you'll spend even more time waiting to have your engine rebuilt or replaced if it's not maintained properly.

Yeah the car really isn't in need of an oil change because I usually change my oil between 1500-2000 miles. It's just low, and I need a quick fix for the time being
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well if the oil is low add some.

I wouldn't worry about going a couple hundred over if your not beating the hell out of the car.

Also, I read a lot on this forum that people are changing their oil every 1000-1500-2000 miles or so with just normal daily driving.

Synthetic oil can last a lot longer than that, hell most cars with regular oil, if you read the manual will say like 6000-6500 miles in between changes.

One of the advantages to synthetic, along with many others, is that you dont need to change your oil as often. I wont say most wear, but a lot of engine wear is from the first time you start your car after a change, when the oil hasn't had time to circulate yet. The less you have to do that, the less engine wear.

Now of course if you are driving your car hard, or tracking it, then change it more often. After every track day would be a good idea. But for daily driving, I feel fine going 5000 miles in between a change with one filter change at 2500 or so.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

i do my own oil change, but yea, you should bring it to jiffy or something like that...just make sure they replace the oil filter. ive seen one in the news where the people that works at jiffy's(not all, just this one jiffy at i forgot where) even the manager knew about it that his worker were not changing the oil filter...they got caught because the guy who had his car oil changed knew how to change oil so when he found out that they didnt change it, he confronted everyone with a news camera or his camera...i forgot...
Old Mar 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenchy4g63
Well if the oil is low add some.

I wouldn't worry about going a couple hundred over if your not beating the hell out of the car.

Also, I read a lot on this forum that people are changing their oil every 1000-1500-2000 miles or so with just normal daily driving.

Synthetic oil can last a lot longer than that, hell most cars with regular oil, if you read the manual will say like 6000-6500 miles in between changes.

One of the advantages to synthetic, along with many others, is that you dont need to change your oil as often. I wont say most wear, but a lot of engine wear is from the first time you start your car after a change, when the oil hasn't had time to circulate yet. The less you have to do that, the less engine wear.

Now of course if you are driving your car hard, or tracking it, then change it more often. After every track day would be a good idea. But for daily driving, I feel fine going 5000 miles in between a change with one filter change at 2500 or so.
+1
Heating it into the twilight zone is what makes these babies need more frequent oil changes