Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy twin disc clutch failure

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy twin disc clutch failure

I was at a track day and noticed shifting got more difficult so I came into the pits to check it out. I had lots of noise coming from the transmission area when trying to move forward from a stop to first gear, though I was able to limp it home without too much fuss. I pulled it apart this weekend and found this piece of metal, looks like part of a spring retainer that had broken off one of the discs. Anyone else have a similar problem with their clutch?

Old May 29, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

damn, that sucks man. I've never broken a clutch like that before, how were you shifting the car? did you power shift it at all, you know where you leave your foot WOT and shift at the same time.

I've had an exedy twin in my EVO for a while now and haven't broken anything, knock on wood. I race the car pretty often too.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't, but I know for a fact, Daiken Clutch/Exedy stands behind their products 110%!! Sorry to hear about that. How many miles on it?
Old May 29, 2007, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I rev-match every downshift, never power shift and have probably only done a handful of hard launches. I've had about 8k miles on it total and it's performed flawlessly until now. I inspected it about 2k miles ago and it looked fine then.

Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
damn, that sucks man. I've never broken a clutch like that before, how were you shifting the car? did you power shift it at all, you know where you leave your foot WOT and shift at the same time.

I've had an exedy twin in my EVO for a while now and haven't broken anything, knock on wood. I race the car pretty often too.
Old May 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

That is good news, I will talk to them and see if they can warranty the disc.

Originally Posted by smokedmustang
I haven't, but I know for a fact, Daiken Clutch/Exedy stands behind their products 110%!! Sorry to hear about that. How many miles on it?
Old May 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

They warrentied mine before. Send it to them in Bellview MI? NOT where you got it from. Take it to the source. They will take care of you. That is why I stay with them. they stand behind us all the way!
Old May 29, 2007, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

gee that looks alot like my failed exedy twin plate. exedy blamed my clutch failure on install error, they said the clutch had to "not have been alligned properlly" I bought the clutch used for pretty cheap, paid for the rebuild, and then broke even on the sale of the clutch to another person. Went with an ACT 6 puck and have been trouble free ever since.

The following users liked this post:
evo9gtx (Apr 23, 2016)
Old May 30, 2007, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan avoN7
gee that looks alot like my failed exedy twin plate. exedy blamed my clutch failure on install error, they said the clutch had to "not have been alligned properlly" I bought the clutch used for pretty cheap, paid for the rebuild, and then broke even on the sale of the clutch to another person. Went with an ACT 6 puck and have been trouble free ever since.

Where did you get the rebuild at if you dont mind me asking and how much was for the 2 discs, floater, and the other floater on the pressure plate??
Old May 30, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mchuang
Where did you get the rebuild at if you dont mind me asking and how much was for the 2 discs, floater, and the other floater on the pressure plate??
I had it rebuilt directly through exedy. they handled the situation well and were professional but I just felt like it wasn't install error, clutch install is pretty straight forward (this was on a wrx). I think it was around $450-500 for every part you described.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

man, thats BS they said it was install error. how the heck can you mess up an install so the clutch breaks like that.

did they give you any proof as to why it had to be an install error and not product defect?
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Both of those clutches look very tired.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dan avoN7
I had it rebuilt directly through exedy. they handled the situation well and were professional but I just felt like it wasn't install error, clutch install is pretty straight forward (this was on a wrx). I think it was around $450-500 for every part you described.
it's not straight forward.

http://www.socalevo.net/forum/index.php?topic=32089.0

treating it like just another clutch job could get you into trouble.

pics preserved below
Attached Thumbnails Exedy twin disc clutch failure-evo_clutch_crw_0300-01.jpg   Exedy twin disc clutch failure-evo_clutch_crw_0301-01.jpg   Exedy twin disc clutch failure-exedy_twin_plate_img_4056.jpg  

Last edited by trinydex; Jun 1, 2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

The link you posted has some good info, although the problem it talks about is different than what is shown here.
I think the most important thing to learn from all these clutch problem threads, is that the install is VERY important. Torque everything to spec, check it at least twice, and make sure not to damage the retaining clip with the input shaft.
It seems almost all clutch problems can be traced back to the install.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

linky no worky for me
Old Jun 1, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i wasn't trying to say they were the same problem. i'm sayin' i've read too many clutch problems on evom and socalevo. too many. all which say the clutch job should be simple, easy, like any other car. wrong. that's why you done got ****ed up.

every car has its quirks and they can only be learned by EXPERIENCE. go to a shop that's been there done that learned their lesson and has done hundreds of successful ones since.

Quick Reply: Exedy twin disc clutch failure