Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Knock sensor readings on a 2.3

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Knock sensor readings on a 2.3

Hello,

I've heard a couple different rumors that when you go to a 2.3 that sometimes it will throw the knock sensor off completely and if using an EMS such as AEM the knock sensor reading will be everywhere even if there is no knock. In all parts of the log early roms to redline.

I know some engines are louder than others but im only speaking about going from 2.0 stock to 2.3 built short block.

Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine isn't that case. If you had solid mounts without balance shafts i would assume this might be the case but a knock sensor reads a 6400hz ring. and just a 2.3 isn't going to make that sound constantly.

2.3's won't run the timing 2.0's will though. I was hitting like 20counts of knock and my sea of 8's is now sea of 2's and 3's.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ONRAILS
Mine isn't that case. If you had solid mounts without balance shafts i would assume this might be the case but a knock sensor reads a 6400hz ring. and just a 2.3 isn't going to make that sound constantly.

2.3's won't run the timing 2.0's will though. I was hitting like 20counts of knock and my sea of 8's is now sea of 2's and 3's.
Yea it was on stock mounts going to polyurethane(spelling) ones and im going to change the knock sensor to something else.

Ive only tuned on 93 and im not really interested in running an agressive tune on pump but we kept pulling timing and so on but no matter what the logs looked the same. And i mean a difference of a couple degrees of timing which im sure should have made a big difference. Also dumped 100 octane in the tank and it looked the same.

I also have raised compression and a number of other parts. I went from stock engine with reflash to built block, built head and the necessary contributing mods.
Im hoping its just a noisy engine but ive heard rumers that other people have ran into the same issue.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Many poeple make the mistake of overtightening the knock sensor when they move it over to another motor. Torque on it is very light, something like 7-9 ftlbs. Making it too tight can make it over sensitive. Same for leaving it hand tight. These cars are still too new for the sensors to be leaking, but I'd check it anyway. On DSMs, I've had knock that didn't look real (always the same, like yours) that could only be cured by installing new lifters. FWIW, I ran several strokers on DSMlink that didn't show any additional knock activity over a 2 liter, and there are several local DSMers running 2.3s with AEM that haven't reported any knock problems either. So I would consider it to be very unlikely that it is related directly to the 2.3, but rather some other mechanical issue, perhaps one of the ones mentioned above.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kjewer1
Many poeple make the mistake of overtightening the knock sensor when they move it over to another motor. Torque on it is very light, something like 7-9 ftlbs. Making it too tight can make it over sensitive. Same for leaving it hand tight. These cars are still too new for the sensors to be leaking, but I'd check it anyway. On DSMs, I've had knock that didn't look real (always the same, like yours) that could only be cured by installing new lifters. FWIW, I ran several strokers on DSMlink that didn't show any additional knock activity over a 2 liter, and there are several local DSMers running 2.3s with AEM that haven't reported any knock problems either. So I would consider it to be very unlikely that it is related directly to the 2.3, but rather some other mechanical issue, perhaps one of the ones mentioned above.
Thanks.

Like i said i went from nothing to everything. So im just trying to find the most logical fix to the problem. But while researching on it ive heard of some other cars having the same issue as me.
Im gonna try the parts i listed above and if it works ill let everyone know.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Well i know from personal experince at peak tq my stroker wont take half the timing my 2.0 would.

Like i was running the blocked 8's there.. now its 1's and 2's .. My car is 0 knock now at peak tq and pulls just as good.. About the same ammount of timing up top though as before. Just around peak tq the car wanted to knock real bad on 2.0 timing values
Old Jul 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yea even when the logs were reading high knock counts with no timing the car still felt good. We tried to street tune instead of dyno (dyno jet) due to load to see if we could get the count to go down. But nothing. Same issue with 100 octane (hoping the tune should still be right on with out any tweaks to see if i just had a bad tank of gas) but same thing.

The car always felt good but the whole knock thing is annoying.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 09:50 PM

I have a similar problem with my 2.4L that I am trying to diagnose. One thing I am considering is switching to AEM. Buschur makes insane power with strokers and pump or race gas. He does it with an AEM and I think the AEM knock threshold is different or adjustable. No body has deciphered the knock tables very well on Ecuflash. Dave just tuned a car that ran 28 psi on pump (93 octane). That is unheard of and I don't think you would ever get that on a stock ecu. Just my .02
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Isn't there a way to adjust the knock settings with ecuflash?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My new 2.3 with Crower rods and Wisecos made lots of noise for the first 100miles, setting off the knock sensor like crazy on no boost and 5000 rpms max. This dissipated after break-in.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
Isn't there a way to adjust the knock settings with ecuflash?
Yes, there are about 10 - 12 separate knock tables that you can adjust in ecuflash. The problem is that nobody really knows what they do, or how to adjust them. Some of the ecuflash gurus have talked about it but nobody has made any headway. The general concensus is that Mitsubishi did a good job with the knock filters and don't mess with them. It would be nice to make them a little less sensitive, (like AEM) or delay the knock flag to compensate for forged pistons, removed BS, etc.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Well i have an AEM EMS with a 2.3 and weisco and crower also. But ive had about 700 miles on the new motor and i am still seeing the high knock counts.

Im going to try a different knock sensor and see if that works.

Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Well i have an AEM EMS with a 2.3 and weisco and crower also. But ive had about 700 miles on the new motor and i am still seeing the high knock counts.

Im going to try a different knock sensor and see if that works.

Thanks.

post your logs.

knock, rpm, load, timing, afr.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

If your tuning your car without using det cans of some variation, then I'd say find a new tuner. All it takes is some proper headphones and you can use your EAR to listen for knock.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crcain
If your tuning your car without using det cans of some variation, then I'd say find a new tuner. All it takes is some proper headphones and you can use your EAR to listen for knock.
Well the car is down at the moment. Im not worried about the tuner, im pretty confident in my tuner. Its just i heard of other people experiencing the same thing.

We are prob gonna use head phones when the car is back up and running, also gonna check if a different knock sensor fixes the knock on the log issue.

Then if anyone else experiences we'll know of a quick fix.

Quick Reply: Knock sensor readings on a 2.3