Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Alky kit w/o solenoid valve - bad idea...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alky kit w/o solenoid valve - bad idea...

thought this might be useful since the amount of meth users are growing

A solenoid valve stops the flow of injectant out of the nozzle when its not needed anymore rather than allowing the excess pressure to continue jetting/dribbling out. Outcome might be costly!

notice the system on the right - continues jetting when injection even is long over

some 1st hand experience of what might happen

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Spraying with throttle closed, even with nonflamable water-methanol, is just asking for trouble. The three metal plugs at the bottom of TB, because they're dissimilar metals to TB, will quickly start a corrosion reaction and spread like a staph infection throughout the TB. A bucking DV would just make it worse
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Happened to my car once when I hooked the controller up to the EGR vac line (which maintains no vac) and the cotrol started to spray at idle. The car backfired and eventually idled bad, pulled out the stepper motor and it was melted to high heaven. Luckily I was able to find a complete TB/intake mainfold assembly for just $200. Was one hell of a deal being worth about 4X what I paid.

If you spray at idle the methanol fills up at the lowest portion of the TB. Ever noticed the two rectangular holes at the bottom of the TB inlet? A puddle of sprayed methanol while throttle is closed will accumilate and drain from there, fumes in combustion chamber remain and the spark ends up igniting it roasting the stepper. 06 IACS are worst too being made from plastic.

I dont know if the ignition spark or the stepper coils start it, I just know that it happens

Hey, just wanted to let others know if their running striaght methanol and spraying with TB closed.
If you are shopping for an alky kit, get one with a solenoid valve.

Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Aquamist FTW! I have had my SMC kit for one year now (installed on new year's day last year!) and this is something that I worry about with it. I may upgrade to the aquamist kit, or may just switch to E85....or just continue with it since it is one of those kits that just works!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome Test!!!
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Aquamist FTW! I have had my SMC kit for one year now (installed on new year's day last year!) and this is something that I worry about with it. I may upgrade to the aquamist kit, or may just switch to E85....or just continue with it since it is one of those kits that just works!
if you got access to e85 easily, do it! But unfortunately they are not too common yet.

Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Im new to the meth injection world so this might be a dumb question but is it possible to install a solenoid valve on a kit that doesnt have one?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

which kit r u running?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SlowCar
which kit r u running?
AEM...
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Man it's threads like these that make me wish my tax return would hurry up and come in so I can get back to Buschur's to get my E85 tune. I'm selling my SMC kit as soon as possible....
Old Dec 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8thWonder
Man it's threads like these that make me wish my tax return would hurry up and come in so I can get back to Buschur's to get my E85 tune. I'm selling my SMC kit as soon as possible....
u lucky guys who can get e85 easily
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Slowcar, I think there was a misinterpretation on the second quote up there. That happened when I carelessly tapped into the a emissions port on top TB for controller boost reference. Since one of the lines will actually produce several psi at idle, and that I had the start psi set to minimum, the pump was powered at idle.

Basically I inadvertantly powered my system at idle filling my charge with 100% methanol back when I was first testing WM out .

It has nothing to do with having a solenoid valve or not. The pump I use (even the one back then) blocks flow when not powered. Even if it did spray after power cut (which it doesn't ), the TB is closed and the hypothetical alcohol/air mix goes the other way - through diverter valve and back towards turbo and also out the aircleaner.

An easy way to confirm if some alcohol is sneaking by is the AFR following a WOT run. If it goes rich.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

IC full of meth

thanks to Phenix_Fyah for the pic

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=315982 - Post #30

Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

the perrin has a solenoid valve