Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spare ECU for reflash?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spare ECU for reflash?

Hi all,

Did a quick search and didn't see anything so:

Recently got my Evo and I'm considering Vishnu Stage 0/1 or a simpler Works reflash path.

In my A4, there were spare ecus available so that there would be no down time. The car could be reverted to stock for dealer visits or to sell the flashed ecu to recoup some of the cost.

Are there spare ecus avail from Works, the dealer, or wherever? I haven't checked the classified yet. For the A4, they are fairly spendy, usually $500 for a stock ecu.

Any input is appreciated.

TIA,

FB
Old Jul 21, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ECUs are security coded to the car, so if you were to buy one, you would need to have the dealership recode it. In addition, they are pricey -- listing at over $900.

-- DavidV
Old Jul 22, 2003, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input, sorry for the xpost.

I'm really thinking of doing this as a first mod, but I may try to see if I can somehow get a spare ecu. I have the dreaded "decel" noise so I don't want to jinx any warranty support...

Anyway, the results are intriguing. Has anyone run one at the drag strip? I'm not much of a drag racer, but as an idea of perf it would be nice. I would guess very low 13s or even high 12s.

Thoughts?

FB