Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stock turbo 26PSI

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tmaxxman21
im thinking i wanna retune to 25-26 psi on the stock turbo.. what other mods do you gusy think i should get to help this out

2005 evo 8 ssl, obviously has the 10.5 hotside
3" catless tbe
k&n intake
boost controller
fuel pump
tial bov

do you think i just need 770cc injectors?
if anyone else has these mods at this psi.. what kinda power you guys seeing?
Dude get a HKS RS Intake, o2 housing, cams, LICP, and meth very important to run that boost on pump if you were running pure c16 I can say you could possible see close to 400whp but anything past 23psi on pump your playing with fire
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mplspilot
On what? 35r? Thread's about a stock turbo.
And if you're talking about a stocker you're full of BS. All 26 pounds of it.

No studs needed for stock turbo power levels.

To the OP:
You probably won't need bigger injectors with stock turbo, because it will taper to 19-20 psi by redline anyway. You do need to look at fuel though - better gas, E85 or alky is needed for higher boost.
Well when I turn to high boost on c16 which is 26psi I taper to 24.9 at redline so you can hold the boost I think if you have a EBC your boost will hold much better then a manuel BC
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lemmonhead
he is right about the headstuds for insurance, without doing that your cutting really close to the factory safety margin, infact your out of the saftey margin. if he knocks at high load running 26psi that headgasket will give away pretty quick. mitsu alreaady had 5psi safetly margin boost (to 25psi) so 26 is already over that.
I'm with RevMoto as far as headstuds go. I watched an EvoIX pushing 36psi on a WR-9 and stock headstuds. Another Evo8 that has been on 30psi for as long as I've known the guy and stock studs. Then there's me, pushed the stock turbo to 30psi and now I'm running the Green with stock headstuds.

If you're pulling the head anyways then might as well. But I won't do mine until then.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by th3_rEv8lution
nope, i've got the stock 16g with 10.5 hotside. i'll get a video later. unless my boost gauge isnt reading right, i'm definately hitting and holding 26psi.
You don't have to worry about a video. 16G will not hold 26 psi till redline. It's a fact.

he is right about the headstuds for insurance, without doing that your cutting really close to the factory safety margin, infact your out of the saftey margin. if he knocks at high load running 26psi that headgasket will give away pretty quick. mitsu alreaady had 5psi safetly margin boost (to 25psi) so 26 is already over that.
PSI is not what blows gaskets. Extremely high cylinder pressures do. The key word in all that you wrote is "knock". Knock is what will do the gasket in. You can run 30PSI all day long and be fine.
Power/torque is not measured in PSI of boost. So there's no such thing as "mitsu alreaady had 5psi safetly margin boost (to 25psi) so 26 is already over that." Sounds like a good line for next installment of Fast and the Furious though
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DBallz
Well when I turn to high boost on c16 which is 26psi I taper to 24.9 at redline so you can hold the boost I think if you have a EBC your boost will hold much better then a manuel BC
You're right EBC will hold it better than MBC.
Care to show us a MAP log?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

You don't have to worry about a video. 16G will not hold 26 psi till redline. It's a fact.
I bet $0.05 that if you throw a jdm map on that, you won't have over 24 psi.

Throw a JDM MAP on that and see.

Agreed, well, for normal people that is. Now, me on the other hand, my turbo is becoming some sort of wacked out crack addict on speed. I am getting very close to 26psi by 7500 rpm, but, my stocker has been bastardized by my hand in so many ways it's not even funny. Plus, at 26 psi by 7500 rpm the hot air comming out will probably fry my egt probe anyways.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

I *lightly* disagree with this too. I have some logs I can chare that show 29.5 psi with 32 counts of knock from 6,000 to 7,500 rpm's with all stock head crap. And I managed to do it about 7 times in a row. Oops.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

i'm headstuds + alky and i run over 26psi dd on 9.8 hotside 04 ssl
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Its detonation that will stretch a head not boost. But if you run alky detonation will be more likely.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by rcheung
Its detonation that will stretch a head not boost. But if you run alky detonation will be more likely.
I assume you mean stretch head bolts, not stretch the head. Running alky will make your car less prone to detonation, unless its tune liked crap.

Last edited by TeStUdO; Feb 5, 2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

You're right EBC will hold it better than MBC.
Care to show us a MAP log?
I'm at work now when I get home I'll scan my dyno sheet
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
But if you run alky detonation will be more likely.
Ah what?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

I just did a highway pull and I was wrong. I hold 26psi until about 6000 then tapers to ~24psi. I guess I just never noticed it tapering down. Anyways, to the OP you can definitely run 26psi with great driveability and reliability.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:47 PM

i dont know to much about alky.. is it always running? refills?... sorry for question but i never have looked into alky before haha. anyone wanna educate me?
Old Feb 5, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by th3_rEv8lution
nope, i've got the stock 16g with 10.5 hotside. i'll get a video later. unless my boost gauge isnt reading right, i'm definately hitting and holding 26psi.
in what gear? 4th or 5th maybe...and shifting slooooooooow.

Quick Reply: stock turbo 26PSI