Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost raises above 27 PSI and up!!! Need help! Hallman MBC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Boost raises above 27 PSI and up!!! Need help! Hallman MBC

Hello,
I'm having a problem and I'm in need of help, so I'll try to tell it from the begining. Before yesterday I had the following parts on my car: O2housing, test pipe, catback, boost gauge and an e-mail tune. Everything was going fine, under WOT in 3rd or 4th gear I was doing 19 PSI and then was going back to 17 PSI and stayed there till RPM limiter.
Yesterday I installed on the car the Injen intake with upper and lower IC pipes and a Hallman MBC. Today I went out to set the boost to 20 PSI to get a retune from Mellon. I uploaded the stock ecu map to be all stock.

I started in 3rd gear from 2500rpm till redline with MBC all the way down, minimum boost. So boost started to raise all the way up and did not hit 7650 rpm that it had over 20PSI and going up. Tried the same thing with 4th gear, boost raised till 25 PSI and up!!! I checked how I installed the MBC: the oposite part to the adjusting knob (input) was on turbo nipple and the latteral part (output) to the wastegate actuator as I have seen on the forums. The nipple on the intake was capped and also the solenoid nipples.

A friend of mine told me that is wrong so I have changed it as he said: both wastegate actuator and turbo nipples coupled in a T fitting and then connected to the opposite part of the adjustment knob on the MBC (input); and the latteral part (output) connected to the intake nipple which was previously capped. Same results, it was boosting like hell, even if the knob was all the way turned down. Also tried to connect coupled wastegate and turbo nipple to the latteral nipple of the MBC (output) and the intake nipple to the other nipple of the MBC (input), same result!!!

Also tried to pump some air into the wastegate actuator, it was moving but slow.
Should I get back to the 1st setting: turbine nipple to oposite part of the adjustment knob (input) and wastegate actuator to the latteral nipple of the MBC? or should I leave it like my friend suggested, which is like the same setup stock solenoid was working, or connect it insted of the turbo nipple to the line that goes to the diverter valve, as I have seen in some setups?

Please help cause I really don't know what's wrong with it!

P.S. Boost gauge is installed perfect. It's a Prosport gauge with electric sender.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could have a boost leak...
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

boost leak? this gives the affect of raising so much the boost? and it raises so liniar, just goes all the way up
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:32 AM

It's your MBC all the way down causing this

All the way down on most MBC is maximum spring tension and therefore maximum boost. Back out your adjustment on your MBC to where there is little to no tension on the MBC spring that is inside the body of the boost controller. If you care to verify that it is in fact your MBC settings then bypass the controller and go straight from the WGA to a boost source. I'll lay money that it is your MBC causing this from what recently changed. Personally I run ECU controlled boost so I don't get the taper so common with MBC.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
boost leak would be my guess too.... I had the same problem when I installed my greddy profec b it ran good for a while but then it kept overboosting.... check the lines to see if theres and holes or if they're on right.... my problem was because my radiator fan sliced up my lines and made a hole in them
Old Feb 10, 2008, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

it was my mistake: all the way down means counterclockwise, actually only a small boost should read the gauge..
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

If its turned all the way out counterclockwise and still reading 27psi your spring might be stuck.Take the MBC apart and check the ball and springs.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

when i tap it, i can hear the ball moving in it. is it ok?
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

others that ecountered the same problem?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 02:00 AM
Evolving Member

any others?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

update: i uninstalled the hallman mbc, put back the solenoid and also the boost raises like crazy. question: if it is cold here, could it be that the boost goes that crazy? and also right now i olnly tested it till 23 psi in 4th gear under WOT, how much boost can my car support till it pops? cause I was thinking that might be a boost spike and the it will tapper.. please help
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
The hallman turned all the way down (meaning clockwise towards the body) is max boost. All the way open (counter clockwise) should be wastegate boost.

If it's still doing it with it all the way open, I would check your wastegate actuator. What you can do is loop the pressure and wastegate actuator vac lines together (with a normal nipple or just looped into itself). That should give you wastegate boost. If you still overboost with that, then the wastegate actuator is bad.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

did that.. now I'm on the stock solenoid, and still boosts like crazy.. i tested the wastegate actuator with a pump, it moves, but i think it needs a lot of pressure.. i'm curious how much can my car hold pressure, cause I'm thinking to try to boost it over 25 and see if it tappers and the actuator starts to move normally, cause I think it could be a little stuck (rust, dirt, i don't know)
Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by mscorei
did that.. now I'm on the stock solenoid, and still boosts like crazy.. i tested the wastegate actuator with a pump, it moves, but i think it needs a lot of pressure.. i'm curious how much can my car hold pressure, cause I'm thinking to try to boost it over 25 and see if it tappers and the actuator starts to move normally, cause I think it could be a little stuck (rust, dirt, i don't know)
So you looped the vac lines so it should run just off wastegate spring and it still overboosted? If so, your actuator is bad.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Run a vaccum line from the nipple on the turbo straight to wga nipple and tell us what you get.

Quick Reply: Boost raises above 27 PSI and up!!! Need help! Hallman MBC