Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Test Pipe VS 130 cell MS high-flow cat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Test Pipe VS 130 cell MS high-flow cat

A Evo came in today to switch from a test pipe to a 130 cell metal substrate high-flow cat because he wanted to get rid of a little stink and make the car a little quieter.

A 130 cell metal substrate is much more free-flowing than a 300 cell metal substrate cat, and even more free-flowing than a normal ceramic "high flow" cat.

I threw it on the dyno to check for any power changes and make any adjustments needed because of the switch.

Some interesting stuff happened.

Here are the power curves just strapping it on the dyno, no tuning changes whatsoever.

Dotted lines are 130 cell cat, solid lines are with Test Pipe:

Down in power from peak torque all the way to 7100 rpm. -17whp / -11wtq

Now, looking at the boost log, you can see why.

Dotted lines are 130 cell cat, solid lines are with Test Pipe:

Down on boost through the whole rev range. -2psi on average.

So at this point I am thinking the drop in power is because the wastegate duty cycles in ecu-boost just need to be adjusted because of the added back pressure from the cat. So I matched the boost as close as possible to when the car had the Test Pipe:

Solid lines are 130 cell cat, dotted lines are with Test Pipe: (the dotted and solid plots switched for this plot, my apologies)

Notice that the cat boost plot is not as smooth as the test pipe plot, also it has small fluctuations throughout the plot where the test pipe plot is pretty solid.

So now the boost was back to matching what the car was making with the test pipe, so the power curves should be closer to matching right? Well, yes and no.

Solid lines are 130 cell cat, dotted lines are with Test Pipe: (the dotted and solid plots switched for this plot, my apologies)

Curves match exactly now, until approx 5,500 rpm where the high-flow cat just cannot match the flow of the test pipe. Peak horsepower still down 16whp. 6500+, down more than 20whp.

Very interesting test case indeed. Now I wonder what a 100 cell cat and a traditional ceramic "high flow" cat would see in differences.

Last edited by razorlab; Mar 4, 2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, once again this is some great information. other then the test pipe what does the car have for mods? Is this the stock turbo?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I read it and think what you are saying is the high flow cat cannot match the power of the offroad pipe, is that right?
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Wow, once again this is some great information. other then the test pipe what does the car have for mods? Is this the stock turbo?
Evo 9

WORKS throttle body
WORKS 76mm DP
WORKS 3in TB exhaust
Cosworth 272 IX cams
HKS exhaust adjustable cam gear
SAMCO IC hoses
Nisei LICP
Denso 720cc Injectors
GM solenoid
Perrin FMIC
Hyperforce System
RRE rally cat
GST SuperDuperDefcon5 open air filter
Titek tubular 02 housing
Ported stock exhaust manifold
Ported and coated hotside
ARP head studs
FP actuator
Stock evo 9 turbo (ported)

Strongest stock turbo Evo on our dyno. Before this highflow cat it held the stock turbo record on our dyno with 91 octane at 339whp. To put that in perspective, even some FPgreen equipped evo's don't hit that on 91 oct on our dyno.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turco, I think its time for a test pipe on your baby
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I read it and think what you are saying is the high flow cat cannot match the power of the offroad pipe, is that right?
Yup, past 5500 rpm you can see the high flow cat loses power over the test pipe, on this Evo.

btw, this "high flow" cat was a $700 "JDM" unit.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:17 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
Turco, I think its time for a test pipe on your baby
nah. I will get a nice high flow cat though. It is still only 4.6% gains from the test pipe. I like the sound the cat adds to the exhaust anyway.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:20 PM
EvoM Guru

nah. I will get a nice high flow cat though. It is still only 4.6% gains from the test pipe. I like the sound the cat adds to the exhaust anyway.
Get a good metal substrate cat like this one if you really want one. Cobb makes a good one as well. Also the forum member "atvalet" can source 100 cell cats as well.

I can imagine a 300 cell metal substrate cat or the traditional ceramic high flow cats would be a even larger difference in power. The ceramic cats are like putting a brick in your exhaust stream.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by razorlab
Get a good metal substrate cat like this one if you really want one. Cobb makes a good one as well. Also the forum member "atvalet" can source 100 cell cats as well.

I can imagine a 300 cell metal substrate cat or the traditional ceramic high flow cats would be a even larger difference in power. The ceramic cats are like putting a brick in your exhaust stream.
I was debating between the perrin and cobb. I would never put ceramic in, like you said a brick.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 04:48 PM
EvoM Guru

I like the cobb unit better personally, I think it's cheaper as well.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by razorlab
I like the cobb unit better personally, I think it's cheaper as well.
Actually it is about $70 more IIRC. I actually think they are the same but i dont have any empirical data to prove that. I know the Cobb has a 300 cell core and i believe the Perrin is the same.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Actually it is about $70 more IIRC. I actually think they are the same but i dont have any empirical data to prove that. I know the Cobb has a 300 cell core and i believe the Perrin is the same.
Looks like perrin is $205 retail and cobb is $250 retail.

I've seen and tuned both and the cobb seems to perform better to me, but that could be isolated cases as they where on two different evos.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:01 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Interesting. Can you estimate what sort of gains the cobb has over the perrin? I would be interested to see how the cobb performs.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damnit...is this the Apexi Super Catalyzer. Mine just came in today??? Considering my car probably only puts down about 300-305whp on your dyno do you think I would notice as much difference?

Last edited by dbsears; Mar 4, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great data. Thank you for sharing it Bryan.

Another factor here is the exhaust cam gear. If it was set up aggressively due to the testpipe (e.g. more overlap) and was not tweaked when the cat was installed, then the effect of the additional backpressure of the cat will be more pronounced.

Quick Reply: Test Pipe VS 130 cell MS high-flow cat