Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New Evo Rider's Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Evo Rider's Questions

Evo is my first Turbo car, so I don't really know if the installation is correct or not. Friend of mine helped me install the Greddy PRofec e-01 without the e-manage and Greddy Full Auto Timer on my Evo. Since the PRofec e-01 installed, I have strong feeling that I am losing the boost. PRofec e-01 only shows 10 psi on my stock boost when I turn the controller off. My friend said I need to tune up the car. Is that true that I need to tune up the car after putting the boost controller? And then is My Timer. My Greddy Full Auto Timer only works in ACC, but Lock. That means I cannot take my key out and let the timer and engine keep running. Why is that? I thougth the turbo timer can give keeping the engine run without the key. Can somebody help me and tell me why?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:29 PM

hmmm

i got profec b boost controller, with the boostcontroler off it will only go 10psi, that is a factory safefall i guess, make sure you got the vacum lines hooked up right, out line should be going to the wastegate and the in line should be coming of the vacum line thats right at the turbo, if thats not right i dunno then, mine works fine that way, anyways about the turbo timer, i dont think its hooked up right, it should stay running without having the key in the ignition as long as your e-brake is up, thats the beauty of it that you dont have to sit there 30seconds or more while the car circulates the oil though and cools down
Old Aug 6, 2003, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Re: New Evo Rider's Questions

Originally posted by Laggard
....My Greddy Full Auto Timer only works in ACC, but Lock. That means I cannot take my key out and let the timer and engine keep running. Why is that? I thougth the turbo timer can give keeping the engine run without the key. Can somebody help me and tell me why?
No clue on the boost controller. Bu the turbo timer is deffinetly not hooked up correctly. If you read the manual it states that on cars with two ignition wires (which the evo does) you connect one lead to the ignition line that drops voltage while cranking and the other to the other ignition lead, then you have the ground and the constant 12v line. you do not use the acc line for the evo.

Check this post out.. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=29275 , i posted an ignition wiring diagram that should help you out. If you used a harness you go the wrong one, if you had someone install it, they installed it wrong.

Last edited by Mad_SB; Aug 6, 2003 at 05:36 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:40 PM

Re: Re: New Evo Rider's Questions

Originally posted by mad_VIII

If you used a harness you go the wrong one, if you had someone install it, they installed it wrong.
mad VIII,

Thanks for the information. I am using Greddy Turbo Timer Harness TT 14-43, Product number 15930003, is it a correct one? As I know your harness is different with mine. Which harness should I use?
Old Aug 6, 2003, 07:55 PM

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by allWILLdrive
i got profec b boost controller, with the boostcontroler off it will only go 10psi, that is a factory safefall i guess, make sure you got the vacum lines hooked up right, out line should be going to the wastegate and the in line should be coming of the vacum line thats right at the turbo
I believe everything hooked up right, because I still can go to 19psi if I set in LO or HI boost in my boost controller. However, I still wonder if I need to tune up my car. What do you think?
Old Aug 7, 2003, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Unf. I don't know about the harness numbers man, All I know is the one boost solutions sent me seemed to work fine but I deffinetly had hesitation and stalling problems that started right after I put it in. My dealer charged me $450 and told me they could only duplicate the problem with it hooked up so I have left it unhooked up to this point.

All I can reccomend is to get a multimeter and print out the diagram from my thread and test the wires your self (leave the harness plugged in but unhook the turbo timer from it) and check the voltages on the lines that lead to blue and green wires on the turbo timer. The line that leads to the green wire should hold 12v while you crank the car, the line that leads to the blue wire should drop voltage while you crank the car.

If you look at page 4 of the greddy installation manual you'll see what I'm talking about.
Old Aug 7, 2003, 10:28 AM

boost controller

the reason you only can do 10psi with the controller off is that to put in the greddy unit you had to take out the factory boost controller, it was a little brass looking thing, if you turn it off it will only do 10psi, they factory made it that way so if you dont have a boost controller you wont blow up your car, if you are still worried that you are leaking boost, go and tighten all the hoses to the intake, intercooler, and turbo, and check all the vacum lines, if your getting 19psi i wouldnt really worry about it, but its always good practice to tighten up all the hoses and pipes every couple of weeks
Old Aug 7, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just install my greddy TT with HKS harness MT-6 95-99 Eclipse. No problem reported so far.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't need a tune up when you put a ebc in your car. your friend has no idea what he's talking about. just do what the other guys said and make sure that you don't have any boost leaks and you hooked up the ebc correctly. just some advice let someone help you that knows what goes on with a turbo car. you can blow your car up quicker than you can blink if your not careful.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:15 AM

Thank you all gave to me the solutions for my problem. Unfortunately, my evo is in the bodyshop now because someone hit me from the back. I'll try everything you guys said a.s.a.p when I get back my ride. By the way, where is the factory boost controller that I need to take off?
Old Aug 8, 2003, 08:17 AM

sorry, I mean take out.