Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fidanza 3.2, ACT Prolite Flywheel and Stuff - Pics/Review (56k go run and hide)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Fidanza 3.2, ACT Prolite Flywheel and Stuff - Pics/Review (56k go run and hide)

Just a quick starter review on a few new parts. I will add more in a day or so when I drive 650mi back to CT from OH.

First off, background - the clutch I was replacing was the ACT HDSS with OE flywheel. I cannot speak badly about this clutch at all. It went in at 25k and came out at 96k. So for about 70,000mi, 400+ launches, dozens of AXs/Track days, and daily driving - it held up. Even to its very end it did not show many issues. The problems I started to have was lock-out (which I never had after a proper adjustment), sticking in gear (almost like someone was holding onto the shifter and pulling against you), and hicupping (not slipping but once in while it would let go then grab within 200rpm). All points were to age/wear of clutch. Like I said, with that many hard miles - it was due.

I decided to go with the Fidanza 3.2 after lots of searching/reading. For the driving I do - it fit the bill. And the ACT Prolite Flywheel rounded out this clutch kit nicely. For those not in the know, the F3.2 is a 4-puck, sprung, kevlar based clutch disc. The material can heat up and return to original state - great for road racing. And its also lighter both as a disc and unit. So rotational mass is down - always good.

Well, after a week+, the car is finally back in my hands. Long story short an axle was seized into the wheel bearing/hub. Causing me to leave my car in OH and borrow my brothers 08 GTS. So after a hefty bit of money - all is back together. The new clutch and flywheel are in, as well as, an AMS lower engine bushing.

Just put on 50 mi this morning driving around town. Clutch/flywheel combo feels awesome! The engagement is smooth already, 500mi from now I bet it will feel even better. I did adjust it a little, right now it picks up a bit off the floor and fully releases with .5 inch of play at the top. Before with the ACT the engagement wasnt until the top with the same play (on/off switch). So its actually easier to get going from a start. After the 500 mi break-in I will get to do some WOT shifts for any lock out and rev to 8k sitting still (if the car moves in 1st gear then its grabbing). Then re-adjust from there.

The pedal pressure is much softer than the ACT. I would say just a little stiffer than a stock clutch. It is no where near as stiff as the ACT was. My ankle is happier. Traffic, like the 4 hrs to go 100mi I just suffered outside of NYC, shouldnt be as bad. With the ACT, I would be limping today.

The revs are pretty free now thanks to the 10.5 lb flywheel, noticeable over the OE flywheel I had before. And the shifting feels lighter. Almost as if less effort was needed to change gears. Which could be from my other disc being melted to the flywheel, but so far I am happy. Heal/toe is easier also and smoother.

The AMS lower engine mount feels great also. The OE was cracking on both sides all the way around. The trans shows the same wear, but for now it will stay. The car does vibrate at idle, but its not that bad. Once moving you dont feel it. Now on lift-off the car does not buck at all. I look forward to some WOT shifts to see how the engine rocks.

Pics of the carnage. Warning to those faint of heart - she took a beating...

Um dirty:

Can we say hotspot - "hotspot"

See disc, see rivet. See disc and rivet wearing together.

I dont think the backside of the flywheel should be blue...

This will be my new mirror for my bathroom...

Last edited by Smike; Aug 30, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice review. Sounds like the ACT served you well, good luck with the new set up .
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. Ive been thinking about upgrading to this clutch for some time now once my stock ones goes out. Def Keep us updated after you finish your break in period
Old Aug 30, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks! The ACT sure did.

Well do - Ill be heading back tomorrow. So Ill have some more feedback after the trip.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Great review! I am glad the ACT surved you well, and hope your new setup will be as good if not better for you. I am installing the fidanza 4.3 tom mourning (6puck sprung ceramic hub). Along with the Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Let us know how your clutch is under WOT and some launchs
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the review
Old Aug 31, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks.

700 mi total today, 9hrs seat time, one tired driver.

On the last 50 miles I felt up to quick shifts and giving it some 100% workout. All I have to say is WOW. I forgot what 1-2 quick felt like - its been a while since I was able to do it that quick.

Shifts are tight and quick. The car does rev freely with the new flywheel. Under normal driving you really cant tell its a 4-puck. Just mind-blowing!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

I am surprised the ACT lasted that long, with that many launches..wow
Old Aug 31, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

After seeing how bad the pressure plate looked, I was surprised also.

Last edited by Smike; Aug 31, 2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Thanks.

700 mi total today, 9hrs seat time, one tired driver.

On the last 50 miles I felt up to quick shifts and giving it some 100% workout. All I have to say is WOW. I forgot what 1-2 quick felt like - its been a while since I was able to do it that quick.

Shifts are tight and quick. The car does rev freely with the new flywheel. Under normal driving you really cant tell its a 4-puck. Just mind-blowing!
Nice! Thanks for the updates. I think this will be the clutch for me to get.

Out of curiousity, why didnt you go with the fidanza flywheel?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad you like it... so far mine has been outstanding... several 1.6x 60's at the shootout, along with no lift's on the way down, very east to shift... no slipping or giving out at all. I think I've got about 2500 to 3000 miles on it
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Anytime! I didnt get the Fidanza flywheel due to price. It was a bit more than what the ACT Prolite was going for.

I might have to make it to a track to see how well I can get it to hook up. I agree, very easy to shift.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Anytime! I didnt get the Fidanza flywheel due to price. It was a bit more than what the ACT Prolite was going for.

I might have to make it to a track to see how well I can get it to hook up. I agree, very easy to shift.
Just recently, I have seen some pretty gruesome pics of a Fidanza flywheel. I am beginning to think that aluminum isn't the best choice for certain moving parts on cars...
Old Sep 2, 2008, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
A little extra weight on the flywheel helps keep it easier to daily drive, and helps keep the engine from stalling with larger cams... I kept my stock flywheel.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
That's true, however I noticed little difference with a pro-lite flywheel

Quick Reply: Fidanza 3.2, ACT Prolite Flywheel and Stuff - Pics/Review (56k go run and hide)