Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Serious Evo Idle Drop

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2003, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serious Evo Idle Drop

I've noticed the past two weeks; when I pull up to a stop light, sign, etc, and press the clutch to put the car in nuetral, the idle bottoms out to about 300 rpm for a second, then jumps back to regular idle (1000 rpm). I can almost duplicate this every time. I DID A SEARCH, and didn't seem to find anything...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know if I take this to a dealer, and they don't 'see' the problem, they'll blow me off...any clue???

The car doesn't have 1000 miles on it yet, and it's been driven like that of a grandma's car...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

possibly a vacume line kink, check all your lines.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

do you have anything installed on your car? a bov?
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

no...BONE stock
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:11 AM

same issue

I have the same problem on my car!
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:24 AM

Re: Serious Evo Idle Drop

Originally posted by camdog17

I've noticed the past two weeks; when I pull up to a stop light, sign, etc, and press the clutch to put the car in nuetral, the idle bottoms out to about 300 rpm for a second, then jumps back to regular idle (1000 rpm). I can almost duplicate this every time. I DID A SEARCH, and didn't seem to find anything...

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know if I take this to a dealer, and they don't 'see' the problem, they'll blow me off...any clue???

The car doesn't have 1000 miles on it yet, and it's been driven like that of a grandma's car...
I have the same problem, but only a little worse! My idle will drop at a stop also, but it will continue to idle rough. My car does this randomly though, so it's hard to pinpoint. I have actually had a "service engine" light come on two different occasions while the car is idling rough. My dealership always makes me wait for a week to schedule an appointment so I went to Autozone to get a free code reading. The car was putting out a code for #3 cylinder misfire. After a day, the "service engine" light shut off and the car was running normal. I've had it in the shop twice for this and the service manager keeps telling me that EVO's naturally idle rough and won't fix the damn problem. I continue to have the this random problem, but at least the "service engine" light hasn't come on again for about a month. I know this doesn't help you at all, but I just thought I'd let you know that I'm having a similar problem. Let me know if you figure out what is going on with yours, and I'll do the same!

Steve
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:28 AM

I forgot to add that my car is also completely stock.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Could it be a slightly fouled plug? Maybe something wiggled loose. Vacuum leak is other guess.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem. Mine even stalled once. It seems to happen when it's really hot, the A/C is on full, and have to inch forward (heavy traffic or drive thru).

this weekend I installed a grounding kit so I'll see if that fixes it at all. Too early to tell yet.

I'm completely stock.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat
I have the same problem. Mine even stalled once. It seems to happen when it's really hot, the A/C is on full, and have to inch forward (heavy traffic or drive thru).

this weekend I installed a grounding kit so I'll see if that fixes it at all. Too early to tell yet.

I'm completely stock.
Yup, yup! I've run into the same condition while driving in 100+ heat. Hit the water sprayer.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Try the ground kit.

I was having rough idle problems, it fixed mine. Idles smooth, even when the idle occasionally drops below 800rpm.

Just do a search on "earthing kit" or "ground kit".

I bought my cables at autozone, premade. I just got their 4 guage batter ground cables and it cost around $20.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

I've got a grounding kit...need to find a tranny bolt tho...haven't installed it yet...maybe I'll do that and see if that remedies the situation
Old Sep 2, 2003, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the same thing happens to me once in a while...it never stalls, though...I figure it's just the hot, humid air...can't wait until October and all that cool, dry autumn air!
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Mine does it all the time with the AC on. It has only stalled once, but it is extremely annoying. It did it completely bone stock too. Sounds like the ISC isn't working very well to me.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys:

what is the nomal rpm for ideling (A/C off) ?? 950 rpm ?? thanks

Trustz

Quick Reply: Serious Evo Idle Drop