Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What turbo for my VIII ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2008, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What turbo for my VIII ?

I have recently ditched the 30r route because here in CA its way to much to deal with, the cops and state laws make it really hard to do anything to your car. So i've decided to go with a stock location turbo and was wondering which would be the best route. I have an evo 8 and was hearing good things about swapping out for a ported IX turbo or going the fp green or red route. My power goals are around 340 to 370whp. With out making the car too high strung. If i can make that power on a 9 turbo great but if its that much easier with a conservative tune on an fp i'd much rather do that. I have an xs engineering ic and gredddy evo 2 exhaust thats all i kept after the 30r part out that im willing to keep on the car
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id go with the red
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

I guess you don't come on here often, look into BBK turbo, don't listen to people with RED, b/c BBK puts down the same power as FP RED on pump gas, BUT it spools just like stock turbo. Red is a bigger turbo, outperforms 30r but the reason why I tell you not to go with the red is because you really bring out the FULL potential of Red if you run Meth, but since you live in CA and want to be as stealth as possible you don't want cop to see the Meth kit. BBK puts down high 300whp on CBRD's mustang dyno and their dyno reads lower than everyone else.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Tommy i'd say go with a Green or look into the CBRD BBK.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:12 PM

BBK full if your running pump gas. 360+ hp on low reading mustang dyno. No one with BBK has run lower than that. Search and research
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostdtalon
My thoughts exactly. For some reason everyone recommends the Red for everything, it doesnt make sense. For what you want the Red is too much. A Green or BBK will be perfect.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:24 PM

good stuff guys thats what im looking for i ran meth with the 30r and it was a blast had no problems with my cooliing mist kit but cops look for anything like that even meth kits its lame. so the 9 turbo ported is pretty much out of the picture if i want that power for my 8 ?
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by boostdtalon
If your going to only run pump gas, there is no point in purchasing a GREEN. BBK spools earlier and makes more power on pump.

Originally Posted by tommygun
good stuff guys thats what im looking for i ran meth with the 30r and it was a blast had no problems with my cooliing mist kit but cops look for anything like that even meth kits its lame. so the 9 turbo ported is pretty much out of the picture if i want that power for my 8 ?

Your not going to get enough power from a ported 9 turbo. Well not 370whp on a mustang dyno running 23-25psi on pump
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tommygun
Why don't you just search "bbk dyno thread" and read thru it. Ported IX turbo??? are you kidding me? you think that's gonna out perform BBK turbo? Search on youtube for BBK turbo, you will see how it is made. CBRD rework the IX turbo, replace it with bigger compressor wheels, turbine, you are funny man, a ported IX turbo. Trust me, you are going to have more fun with bbk "full" on pump gas than your 30r meth. I already know the CA cop will look for anything that is not stock under the hood, with BBK you are gonna retain stock mani, heatshield, they can't say anything about your car.

And forget about the Green too, BBK outflow and out spool GREEN period.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 07:41 PM

haha im just asking because if the ported 9 could get close its a cheaper option im working with a stock 8 turbo here from a 30r on meth i just want some "go" again i am looking into the bbk and bbk light right now
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do the CBRD BBK-Full. This looks to be the best stock appearance, spool/power option for UnoCal 91. (There. I never thought I'd say it!)
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in L.A. and the name of the game is keeping things stealth. I'm running an Aquamist water/alcohol injection system on my car. I installed everything so it's hardly visible. I'm running a modified stock air box, stock uicp, all my heatshields are in place. I've had cops look at my engine compartment and have never had any problems since I've owned my Evo. You gotta remember that we're running **** 91 octane here in California and you need to work with a turbo that can run well on low boost unless your going to re-install your methanol injection system back on. The IX turbo is a great pump gas turbo, The BBK Lite seems good also. I'm running a FP White and like it alot.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
Do the CBRD BBK-Full. This looks to be the best stock appearance, spool/power option for UnoCal 91. (There. I never thought I'd say it!)
hahah but you did haha
Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's just that I am a dyed-in-the-wool FP fan. I love my EvoGreen turbo. But, the recent Mustang dyno results for the BBK on California's 91 octane gas are truly impressive. Did you see GST's dynotest in the Dyno Tuning forum thread?

Last edited by sparky; Dec 24, 2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by sparky
It's just that I am a dyed-in-the-wool FP fan. I love my EvoGreen turbo. But, the recent Mustang dyno results for the BBK on California's 91 octane gas are truly impressive. Did you see GST's dynotest in the Dyno Tuning forum thread?
yeah i just did those numbers are awesome im really debating on the bbk light or full i gotta find out if i can just send in my 8 turbo and get the core upgrade

Quick Reply: What turbo for my VIII ?