Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Odyssey PC680/ARC oil catch can installed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odyssey PC680/ARC oil catch can installed

I got my Odyssey PC680 battery in today (weighs 15.4lbs) and went ahead and installed it this evening. I got this to save weight in front of the car and I was able to install the ARC oil catch can that I had but couldn't install before. Here are the pics:

Odyssey PC680:

ARC oil catch can:

Made the bracket to hold the battery out of ABS plastic, testing fitting it:

Test fitting both the battery and the catch can:

Battery and catch can installed:

Old Sep 19, 2003, 02:45 AM

Very NICE setup!!!!

I guess you're a big fan of ARC.... Any opinions on the induction box? Better than stock? What's the maintainance procedure like?

The oil catch tank is MASSIVE!!! With the tower bar, induction box, oil catch tank, what's next? Exhaust manifold cover?

Keep up the good work, bro! Really nice setup!!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Wow, your setup looks SWEET!
How much is the battery and oil catch can, and where did you get them?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Odyssey PC680/ARC oil catch can installed

Originally posted by sophis
I got my Odyssey PC680 battery in today (weighs 15.4lbs) and went ahead and installed it this evening. I got this to save weight in front of the car and I was able to install the ARC oil catch can that I had but couldn't install before. Here are the pics:
I looked at the oil catch can but it didn't look from the picture on the suppliers web site that it would fit the US model. Does it miss by a mile or was is there any chance of fitting it w/o the smaller battery?

Also on the topic of the smaller battery what are the specifications?

Every time I have looked at the web sites for the small batteries all I have is more questions. I guess my main concern is the CCA at cold temperatures, as well as the overall capacity in amp/hours.
Also for your battery did they tell you what the battery chemistry is (e.g. sealed lead asid, lithium, etc)?

What other toys are there on the work bench?

Looks great!

Last edited by strat; Sep 19, 2003 at 05:21 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ds18
Very NICE setup!!!!

I guess you're a big fan of ARC.... Any opinions on the induction box? Better than stock? What's the maintainance procedure like?

The oil catch tank is MASSIVE!!! With the tower bar, induction box, oil catch tank, what's next? Exhaust manifold cover?
Thanks. I had a thread about the induction box and strut bar install a little while ago, search for arc induction box. lol, I am currently waiting for my ARC titanium exhaust manifold cover to come in Should be in about two more weeks. I am looking at the ARC radiator and titanium exhaust, but am still looking at other alternatives.

Originally posted by ReHeat
How much is the battery and oil catch can, and where did you get them?
I ordered the battery from www.batterymart.com You can get the PC680 battery without the metal jacket for $86.00 if you live in colder climates or with the metal jacket (PC680MJ) for $96.00. I got the oil catch can from takakaira, however we have a vendor on the forums which does sell ARC products. www.z1auto.com email/call/pm them and ask for Adam.

Originally posted by strat

I looked at the oil catch can but it didn't look from the picture on the suppliers web site that it would fit the US model. Does it miss by a mile or was is there any chance of fitting it w/o the smaller battery?

Also on the topic of the smaller battery what are the specifications?

Every time I have looked at the web sites for the small batteries all I have is more questions. I guess my main concern is the CCA at cold temperatures, as well as the overall capacity in amp/hours.
Also for your battery did they tell you what the battery chemistry is (e.g. sealed lead asid, lithium, etc)?

What other toys are there on the work bench?
The oil catch can won't fit US models without either getting a smaller battery or relocating it. The brake fluid reservoir is in the way (on RHD, the abs lines would be here instead). I did try to fit the catch can somewhere behind the battery, but it was crooked, rested on wires, had to move the throttlebody cable, and there was no where to bolt it down.

PC680 battery:
680 cranking amps
280 cold cranking amps
LxWxH: 7in x 3 1/16in x 6 5/8in
Drycell battery, sealed lead acid
28 Minute Reserve Capacity
www.odysseybatteries.com/

The CCA is a little low on the PC680. You could look at getting a slightly larger Odyssey battery. The next step up would be the PC925 with 470CCA. As you can see from the reserve capacity, don't expect to listen to music with the engine off and is definitely not ideal for stereo buffs!

The other toys on the workbench isn't much. Just a ralliart radiator cap (I am waiting until I get an aluminum radiator to put that on) and a Cusco v1 lower arm bar.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 08:45 AM

Hi Sophis, is it normal to hear the LOUD air-sucking noise when acelerating? Just got my ARC Air Box installed and the suction sound is very loud when acelerating. It also changes my exhaust note slightly. Are these normal?
Old Oct 5, 2003, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

That sucking sound is normal on ALL open element filter set-ups. You hear the BOV too.
Old Oct 5, 2003, 04:21 PM

nice setup, but u might wanna rethink the battery location. Sealed lead acid batteries like the one you have don't like heat too much and as a result battery life will be shortened. Not a good idea to put on in the hot engine bay of the evo. Besides whats the use of a sealed lead acid battery in the first place if you don't tuck it away somewhere, like under your passenger seat or in your trunk for instance.

For some more info on sla batteries:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm#sla
Old Oct 5, 2003, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by bishiboy
That sucking sound is normal on ALL open element filter set-ups. You hear the BOV too.
Just as bishiboy said, the sucking/induction sound is normal.

Originally posted by wewu
nice setup, but u might wanna rethink the battery location. Sealed lead acid batteries like the one you have don't like heat too much and as a result battery life will be shortened. Not a good idea to put on in the hot engine bay of the evo. Besides whats the use of a sealed lead acid battery in the first place if you don't tuck it away somewhere, like under your passenger seat or in your trunk for instance.

For some more info on sla batteries:

http://www.stealth316.com/2-dynabatt.htm#sla
Yea I read that site too while searching all the other auto forums about the odyssey batteries before my purchase. I am kind of worried that the battery will die in about a month due to the heat, but I am just going to leave it in the engine bay and see how long it will really last. Driving at night say for 30 mins and then popping the hood, the battery is just slightly warm. In the afternoons/sunny the left side of the battery gets pretty hot while the right side is warm. I have thought about relocating the battery to the trunk (even before I got the battery), however I want to see how long my current setup will last.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 02:04 AM

Glad to hear that. Thanx, bishiboy and sophis.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

that looks mighthy smooth....

is that a cusco front strut?
Old Oct 6, 2003, 07:36 AM

Nope. That's from ARC.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why such a big catch-can? Is it an oil seperator?

All I ever get out of my catch-can is about a teaspoon or two every 6000mi.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Any other downsides?? Sometimes i dont drive my car few days...
is that going to drain that little SLA battery??
Old Oct 7, 2003, 03:58 AM
Evolved Member

sophis,

can you give us more information on the bracket and battery
strap you used to fit the smaller odyssey battery??

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Odyssey PC680/ARC oil catch can installed