Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Converting tranny to run FWD (READ BEFORE YOU FLAME)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How close are you to being done with the AWD conversion stewi?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by msterrorist
How close are you to being done with the AWD conversion stewi?
im actually converting the EVO tranny to run FWD first. If anything im not gonna mess with the AWD swap until next winter. If you need info on it, check out club3g.com in the RS/GS performance section look for a user name "bostonhatcher" he is 95% done with the AWD swap on his 3g eclipse.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

if the car came with fwd just leave it...even at stock level awd evos dont know how much torque is being transfered to just 2 wheels. its rediculous faster and uncontrolable at a point. my car is lighter than yours. lose some of that weight. my friend with the awd mirage coupe even says his old fwd coupe had more torque and he's hitting 500hp+ on 4 wheels. running on fwd just feels like it packs more of punch thats my opinion with the 4g63. id take power over bragging rights.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by downshift411
if the car came with fwd just leave it...even at stock level awd evos dont know how much torque is being transfered to just 2 wheels. its rediculous faster and uncontrolable at a point. my car is lighter than yours. lose some of that weight. my friend with the awd mirage coupe even says his old fwd coupe had more torque and he's hitting 500hp+ on 4 wheels. running on fwd just feels like it packs more of punch thats my opinion with the 4g63. id take power over bragging rights.
Okay this doesn't make much sense. There's no advantage to having a lot of power going to the front wheels of a car as opposed to all four or the rear wheels. That being said, a high powered FWD can still be fun, but its not the ideal setup.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

There is a difference between how it feels and what real world result is. If I make 600whp fwd run 11.2@130mph and then swap to AWD and make 570whp and run 10.70 then I think its worth it. It really is all going to come down to how well I can launch the car and how well the axles hold up.

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Okay this doesn't make much sense. There's no advantage to having a lot of power going to the front wheels of a car as opposed to all four or the rear wheels. That being said, a high powered FWD can still be fun, but its not the ideal setup.
+1
Old Mar 28, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, I would like to say, thats a sexyful 8g Galant. I did a lot of research when I had my 2g and was looking at the VR-4 subframe for awd conversion. TRE or whoever converts the transmissions to fwd is the best way to go. I know there are some 5g Mirage/6g Lancer owners who did the 4g63t swap and had the awd tranny converted to fwd. I would check there any see who did it for them or how they did it. It's been done for the Mirage more than our lancers. Preferably, I would go fwd till I had the time and money for awd down the road. At least the Galant platform has some American' parts you can use. I've looked into trying to find a way to take the 4g Eclipse V6 6 speed transmission and fitting a 4g6x bellhousing to it. It holds the 260hp the 3.8 puts out, if it could be fitted to 4g63t motor, it would save alot of trouble of converting. I've tried to find some info over the years on that VR-4 Galant subframe for awd. would it mount up to the 8g and would the 8g have to be I4 or V6 for it to work. Either way, keep up the good work and don't let others discourage from going fwd.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
First, I would like to say, thats a sexyful 8g Galant. I did a lot of research when I had my 2g and was looking at the VR-4 subframe for awd conversion. TRE or whoever converts the transmissions to fwd is the best way to go. I know there are some 5g Mirage/6g Lancer owners who did the 4g63t swap and had the awd tranny converted to fwd. I would check there any see who did it for them or how they did it. It's been done for the Mirage more than our lancers. Preferably, I would go fwd till I had the time and money for awd down the road. At least the Galant platform has some American' parts you can use. I've looked into trying to find a way to take the 4g Eclipse V6 6 speed transmission and fitting a 4g6x bellhousing to it. It holds the 260hp the 3.8 puts out, if it could be fitted to 4g63t motor, it would save alot of trouble of converting. I've tried to find some info over the years on that VR-4 Galant subframe for awd. would it mount up to the 8g and would the 8g have to be I4 or V6 for it to work. Either way, keep up the good work and don't let others discourage from going fwd.
Well the thing is the car is already FWD. Im not doing the motor/trans swap together. I have been running this car with an EVO motor or EVO headswap motor since 2004. I have been using a 3g eclipse 4 cylinder tranny, which bolts up to the EVO bottom end no problem. The issue is those trannies tend to blow up at anything over 400whp. My old tranny had a basic rebuild and a quaife LSD and it worked fine, but now im gonna be making some real power so Im using the EVO tranny. Im sure you could put this kinda setup into a regular lancer without messing with the EVO tranny as long as your power goals were around 400whp.

In terms of converting the tranny to FWD I have spoken with Shephard, TRE and DogBoxRacing regarding this, they were all very helpful with their advice. I ended up buying a T-case with a bad ring & pinion and no front diff from TRE. I already bought a EVO tranny, starter, slave cylinder, axles and hubs. I ended up using DogBoxRacing for the build of the tranny and T-case for a few reasons. 1. They are local to me and I hate shipping stuff, especially large, heavy stuff. 2. They always took the time out to answer all my questions and never really rushed me off the phone (neither did TRE or Shep, im just saying) 3. The turn around time at dogbox is faster and the build is roughly the same price or even cheaper.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VTEC Killer
Well the thing is the car is already FWD. Im not doing the motor/trans swap together. I have been running this car with an EVO motor or EVO headswap motor since 2004. I have been using a 3g eclipse 4 cylinder tranny, which bolts up to the EVO bottom end no problem. The issue is those trannies tend to blow up at anything over 400whp. My old tranny had a basic rebuild and a quaife LSD and it worked fine, but now im gonna be making some real power so Im using the EVO tranny. Im sure you could put this kinda setup into a regular lancer without messing with the EVO tranny as long as your power goals were around 400whp.

In terms of converting the tranny to FWD I have spoken with Shephard, TRE and DogBoxRacing regarding this, they were all very helpful with their advice. I ended up buying a T-case with a bad ring & pinion and no front diff from TRE. I already bought a EVO tranny, starter, slave cylinder, axles and hubs. I ended up using DogBoxRacing for the build of the tranny and T-case for a few reasons. 1. They are local to me and I hate shipping stuff, especially large, heavy stuff. 2. They always took the time out to answer all my questions and never really rushed me off the phone (neither did TRE or Shep, im just saying) 3. The turn around time at dogbox is faster and the build is roughly the same price or even cheaper.

Sounds like you have a good setup there. Would that t case modification work with the 6 speed evo transmission?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I captain, to each his own tis no real ideal setup.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

If u dont have the money or not yetgetting urself into awd y not just keep the old tranny and rebiuld that for 600hp+. Doesnt seem worth it rebuilding sn evo tranny and tcase just to stay fwd.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

If u dont have the money or not yetgetting urself into awd y not just keep the old tranny and rebiuld that for 600hp+. Doesnt seem worth it rebuilding sn evo tranny and tcase just to stay fwd.
Whats the possibility of transferring the gears and whatnot out of the evo transmission and putting it in the fwd eclipse transmission and using it fwd?
Old Mar 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

No im saying since he's eventually going awd down the road. He got the evo tranny and such.the only way tre does it is by locking the center diff or by locking the tcase. Shep only recommends the tcase method. Even still if he does still go fwd. A rebuilt tcase and lsd. Not to metion the fwd tcase will be welded shut. hence no awd in the long run.u will have to buy another tcase to go awd because the shaft will be remove by shep. Which ever he's choosing i wouldnt weld the tranny center diff especially a high hp car.tcase method would be my choice but in the end he will have get a new tcase for awd. Even if you try to make a removable plate, it still not reommended by high hp car.to each his own. Either get a new awd tranny for awd or new tcase for awd. Good luck

Last edited by downshift411; Mar 28, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

No im saying since he's eventually going awd down the road. He got the evo tranny and such.the only way tre does it is by locking the center diff or by locking the tcase. Shep only recommends the tcase method. Even still if he does still go fwd. A rebuilt tcase and lsd. Not to metion the fwd tcase will be welded shut. hence no awd in the long run.u will have to buy another tcase to go awd because the shaft will be remove by shep. Which ever he's choosing i wouldnt weld the tranny center diff especially a high hp car.tcase method would be my choice but in the end he will have get a new tcase for awd. Even if you try to make a removable plate, it still not reommended by high hp car.to each his own. Either get a new awd tranny for awd or new tcase for awd. Good luck
You have to weld the center diff, or else the power will bias down the path of least resistance, i.e. to the rear wheels which dont exist, the car wont move an inch. And the reason I didnt rebuild the fwd tranny was because they dont only break gears, they are physically snapping the input shafts and wiping out the whole trans. Comparing them side by side, the fwd tranny's input shaft is about 1/4" or more smaller in diameter than the EVO. I bought a tcase with the bad ring gear because I knew I would convert it to fwd, but how can you say its not recommended to make a block off plate and that it has to be welded? its not like there is gonna be any torsional load put on that housing so that the plate would need to be considered a structural member. Keep in mind its FWD only, there is no pinion shaft to be driven in there, so there wont be much thrust load going on.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Whats the possibility of transferring the gears and whatnot out of the evo transmission and putting it in the fwd eclipse transmission and using it fwd?
Not the same in the 4 cylinder cars. The V6 3g eclipse trannies use gears that are interchangeable with EVO gears, but not the 4 cylinder model.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like you have a good setup there. Would that t case modification work with the 6 speed evo transmission?
All your doing on the Tcase end is ditching the center and tail section, removing the pinion gear and making some type of blockoff plate to cover the back end. In the trans you weld the center diff. I also opted for the pfitzner diff tube upgrade since im putting all the power thru the diff tube and into the front diff. its not like an EVO making 600whp where the power is split 50/50, im sending it all to the front diff.

Quick Reply: Converting tranny to run FWD (READ BEFORE YOU FLAME)