Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need help breaking in a clutch

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help breaking in a clutch

I need to know the proper way to break in an Evo 8's clutch lots of people say you need to treat it a certain way for the first 400-500 miles...if anyone knows please respond.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Don't burn it.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

I being as careful as possible this is my first clutch car, i know how to drive them, but i don't want to lie and say i'm the best... I'm still working on the clutch sensitivity from a light to 2nd... I just don't know if i'm paranoid or not...

A lil jerk an i panic, i have heard horror stories, i just want to make it to 5 K on the stock clutch at least...
Old Sep 23, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by RADmitsu
I being as careful as possible this is my first clutch car, i know how to drive them, but i don't want to lie and say i'm the best... I'm still working on the clutch sensitivity from a light to 2nd... I just don't know if i'm paranoid or not...

A lil jerk an i panic, i have heard horror stories, i just want to make it to 5 K on the stock clutch at least...
You'll easily make it to 5k on the stock clutch; I did and I did lots of 6k rpm clutch dumps at the track with it. When I replaced the stocker, it was starting to chatter and slip a little at the track, but I was still driving it on the streets with no problem.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

That's always good, i have loved the evo since EVO V... I never thought that i would own one, but now that i can walk into my garage it is a feeling that you could not believe unless your a fanactic like me about this car... I never thought i would own one... I'm very happy... I just want to enjoy ever second...
Old Sep 24, 2003, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drive slowly. Do not launch your car. Be patient.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 07:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, pretty much what everyone else is saying.

A little jerkyness every now and then won't hurt anything. Its the people that go out doing serious launches right off the bat that are going to glaze the flywheel and friction material.

I really wouldn't worry if I were you. Just take it easy for for the first 500 miles and you will be good to go.

BTW...I've done plenty of 6k launches on the stock clutch(after properly broken in) and have not had any problems after nearly 9k miles.