Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine cut out at high rpm

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cut out at high rpm

Ok so we've had the car on the dyno tuning for pump gas and run into what seems to be an electrical problem. The car completley loses igniton for a moment on wot, it has done it at various rpm from 5000-8000 each time. The car doesnt stall it feels like its hitting a boost cut.. I can free rev up to 8k and also drive the car at light loads up to 7k with no problems. We have swapped out a spare CAS and a spare MSD DIS 2 but no luck. Tomorrow i will check power and earth to everything but it seems weird that it will only cut at high load. I dont think this is a vibration or loose wire as the car runs fine, all other times it is very smooth, no probs.

Any tips guys?
Cheers
Old May 11, 2009, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So... is it tuned?

Are you logging this with evoscan or something?
Old May 11, 2009, 01:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
So... is it tuned?

Are you logging this with evoscan or something?
it has a Haltech ECU (old E6K), looking at the data log doesnt show anything abnormal. The tune was getting close, just dialing in the afr's and timing then the problem started, we got a few clean pulls to 9k beforehand. Any suggestions would be helpfull at this stage.
Old May 11, 2009, 06:12 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
post a log of the pull with these items being logged:

http://www.mellontuning.com/process.html
Old May 11, 2009, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
post a log of the pull with these items being logged:

http://www.mellontuning.com/process.html
thanks mellon, but i have no way of loading the log onto this PC, the ecu can only log when the laptop is connected and it doesn't have windows based software (dos) i told you its an older ecu So far we tried a different cas, coil pack and msd as i had access to them so thought its worth a try.
Old May 11, 2009, 07:06 AM
Account Disabled

you may be hitting boost cut, wanted to verify it by looking at the log
Old May 11, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a weird tangent here,

How old are those plugs your running and what kind of gap? People often will run into spark blow out with old plugs and wider gaps when the boost reaches a certain point.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mellon Tuning
you may be hitting boost cut, wanted to verify it by looking at the log
No its not a boost cut, thats one of the first things we checked. Strange thing is the car seems to be getting progressivley worse, when on the dyno it would get some clean pulls to 9K then started cutting out around 7k, now it wont even make 15psi before cutting.

Originally Posted by RoadSpike
As a weird tangent here,

How old are those plugs your running and what kind of gap? People often will run into spark blow out with old plugs and wider gaps when the boost reaches a certain point.
the plugs that were in it have done about 1000miles running the engine in, i swapped them last nite to a new set of BR7ES and no difference. plug gap is .75mm
what else could this be?

Last edited by JC evo1; May 11, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

plug gap is .75mm
Old May 11, 2009, 08:25 PM
Account Disabled

try .55mm gap, that's too much.
Old May 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

thanks mellon, it ended up being the leads. pretty strange as you would think if a lead was dodgy it wouldnt be cutting ignition to every cyl, had the leads tested they seem ok but putting an older set on the car fixed the problem. Go figure.

Now ive got another problem, my static igntion timing is changing by iteself! here's the thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7065876
Old May 16, 2009, 06:40 AM
Account Disabled

that's great, I'm glad you got it sorted out
Old Apr 26, 2017, 01:39 AM

I have the exact same problem

Originally Posted by JC evo1
thanks mellon, it ended up being the leads. pretty strange as you would think if a lead was dodgy it wouldnt be cutting ignition to every cyl, had the leads tested they seem ok but putting an older set on the car fixed the problem. Go figure.

Now ive got another problem, my static igntion timing is changing by iteself! here's the thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7065876
when you say its the leads what do you mean what do i need to swap out
Old May 4, 2019, 02:39 PM

I’m having same issues

So I know this post is pretty old and I know the original post is even older, but I’m hoping for help with the same issue. My evo will rev up fine sitting in one spot, but you put a load on it and it will just cut ignition for a split second. Almost like loosing boost or fuel but looking at the tuning software fuel and boost are fine it just shows a quick loss of ignition. I’ve replaced the CDI plugs and coils and hasn’t fixed a thing. I put the stock coils back on ( stock coils came off another high HP evo that runs great) and nothing, still does the same thing, it’s pretty sporadic, some times it will run great with no issues and other times it will do it at an RPM Range from 4500-7000.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Originally Posted by Dmx3alo
when you say its the leads what do you mean what do i need to swap out
Old Aug 10, 2019, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Rmize_781
So I know this post is pretty old and I know the original post is even older, but I’m hoping for help with the same issue. My evo will rev up fine sitting in one spot, but you put a load on it and it will just cut ignition for a split second. Almost like loosing boost or fuel but looking at the tuning software fuel and boost are fine it just shows a quick loss of ignition. I’ve replaced the CDI plugs and coils and hasn’t fixed a thing. I put the stock coils back on ( stock coils came off another high HP evo that runs great) and nothing, still does the same thing, it’s pretty sporadic, some times it will run great with no issues and other times it will do it at an RPM Range from 4500-7000.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!
Have you figured it out ? Mine does the exact same thing..it just one day decided lt was going to start this ..it will damn near put your chest in the steering wheel when the "cutt" happens. Logging shows a sudden drop in timing with the cutt off..its infuriating)

Quick Reply: Engine cut out at high rpm