Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Finally, new lightweight rotors for the EVO8-9!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Finally, new lightweight rotors for the EVO8-9!

After a ton of time waiting I finally have a set of lightweight rotors here for the EVO8-9.

I have pricing and the weights but I do not want to sell them just yet. I want to get them on a car here and put some miles and hard stops on them to make sure they are going to hold up first.

The rotors are full sized and a direct replacement for the Evolution 8-9 brakes.

The front rotor weighs in at 13 pounds and the rear rotor weighs in at 9 pounds.

The lightest stock replacement rotors that I have found before this, for reference, is 15.5 for the fronts and 11.1 for the rears.

Compared to stock rotors these are 8.35 lighter EACH on the fronts and 5.6 lighter each on the rear rotors.

For those of you that don't want to do the math that's 27.9 pounds lighter than stock on rotating/unsprung weight, pretty substantial.

Pricing, $825 for the front set and $775 for the rear set.

I will get these on soon and once I am confident that they will stop the car and hold up, we will release them.

These are not recommended for road racing by the way.

Last edited by David Buschur; Jun 13, 2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, those are light!

I assume these are two piece rotors. Any pics?

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I have a felling it may consist of the "petal" design...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello 1.0 sixty-foot. Well, maybe but that is crazy lite.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, it is a two piece rotor with an aluminum hat. I wanted to put them on my car today but we are hitting the track tomorrow and I don't want to do the first tests on a 150+mph pass. If all goes well at the track, when I come back I am putting my street tires back on the RS and when I do I will put these rotors on.

The rotor is very thin and these are not a turnable rotor. Once they wear out the rotor will need to be replaced, replacements are $220 each for the front and $200 each for the rears. This requires that you use your existing aluminum hat.

I'd like to perform a dyno test on these like I did the first time I tested the Giro's on my car. If time and energy permits I will do that.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would be interested to see these disks..... Does a hardware kit come with the replacement disks (they should)?

How does the weight compare to performance friction (PFC) two piece?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Good to hear you got em in. I'll have to check em out tomorrow while I'm up at the shop.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
After a ton of time waiting I finally have a set of lightweight rotors here for the EVO8-9.

I have pricing and the weights but I do not want to sell them just yet. I want to get them on a car here and put some miles and hard stops on them to make sure they are going to hold up first.

The rotors are full sized and a direct replacement for the Evolution 8-9 brakes.

The front rotor weighs in at 13 pounds and the rear rotor weighs in at 9 pounds.

The lightest stock replacement rotors that I have found before this, for reference, is 15.5 for the fronts and 11.1 for the rears.

Compared to stock rotors these are 8.35 lighter EACH on the fronts and 5.6 lighter each on the rear rotors.

For those of you that don't want to do the math that's 27.9 pounds lighter than stock on rotating/sprung weight, pretty substantial.

Pricing, $825 for the front set and $775 for the rear set.

I will get these on soon and once I am confident that they will stop the car and hold up, we will release them.

These are not recommended for road racing by the way.

Im sure you know this already, but rotors are unsprung weight, not sprung weight.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is another review on these rotors with some pics. They are not a wave design like some of the Wilwood and BrakeMan units, just standard looking 2-piece rotors. I am racing tomorrow and will let ya'all know how they do. . .

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7168588

BTW, I'm just a consumer - not selling anything. You can purchase these through Buschur Racing or Girodisc once they release them. . .
Old Jun 13, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, sorry, unsprung, type too fast, think to slow.

I do not know what kit comes with the replacement rotors when the time comes. I am guessing nothing but I don't know.

The Performance Friction rotors are nice, especially for the money and we sell them too but they are not anywhere near the lightest. I have the weights written down but I am not at the shop.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I would be interested to see these disks..... Does a hardware kit come with the replacement disks (they should)?

How does the weight compare to performance friction (PFC) two piece?
The PF fronts weigh 17.7# compared to 13# for the Girodisc 2-piec LTW rotors - so you'd save 9.4 # just with the fronts. . .

EVOlutionary
Old Aug 28, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Updates?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Not much to update. The full set of lightweight rotors are on my RS. A few street miles and about 10 stops from about 160 mph at the drag strip. No warpage, no pulsing. They seem to work great.

Evolutionary has quite a few autocrosses on his, maybe he'll chime in with what he thinks.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

I meant about availability. This sounds like a worthwhile purchase for us hardcore autoxer's. Thanks.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, yes they are available.

Quick Reply: Finally, new lightweight rotors for the EVO8-9!