Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Gummy shifter feel

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gummy shifter feel

I have a WW IX and have recently done some basic mod stuff. Of these include an agency power short shifter, works poly cable bushings, kartboy poly console bushings, and works knob. MY SHIFTER STILL FEELS ALL GUMMY.. WTF?! I dont get it.. Im relatively certain everything was done rite. The only two things I can think of now are either I need to change fluid.. although this feels far more mechanical.. or the cable connection on the bottom of the spherical bearing shouldnt need to be turned right side up and held from spinning back down to its comfortable position to be connected.. Please help anyone with similar issue... I also have a works clutch line but this is just the shifter.. can removing the pill make shifter feel that much different?

Thanks peoples
Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
were any of the bushings you replaced the cable linkage ones under the hood?

replacing those was by far the best thing I ever did...I have the one's Buschur sells
Old Aug 1, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Did you deform the pivot spring on the shifter itself? When you say gummy do you mean it is rubbery upon engagement or it does not snap back to center? If its the later than its that spring.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remove ur SH.Shifter ...
Old Aug 1, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
like everyone says you need to change your under hood shifter bushings cause there rubber go's bad after awhile. i went with the buschurracing stiff shifter bushings and really like the feel!

the inside bushings dont change the way it shifts or feels, they dont do much if any for shifting imo

Last edited by bbyevo8u; Aug 1, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 08:52 PM

first, thanks to all for the advice. the cable bushings (under the hood) are the works urethanes. They're very nice quality, etc. but still to my dismay its gummy nonetheless. Its not so much going into gear (although thats not as crisp as i would have though either) but just the action of the shifter in general.. its sticky to move it back in fourth in neutral, into gear.. all over really. It feels as if I had dumped a soda into the mechanisms.. like sticky and hesitant when it should be rifle bolt precise like several of my friends'. 250 worth of parts; imo, it should be surgically precise at this point..
Old Aug 2, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by visyoual
first, thanks to all for the advice. the cable bushings (under the hood) are the works urethanes. it should be rifle bolt precise like several of my friends'. 250 worth of parts; imo, it should be surgically precise at this point..
everyone's basically telling you to get the solid cable shift bushings, and get rid of the urethane ones. if you're looking for a rifle bolt action feel, then match those solid aluminum cable bushings up with an upgraded front motor mount
Old Aug 2, 2009, 09:04 AM

Im sure that would help, the thing of it is two of my friends have the poly joints like me and theirs feel exceptional.. im gonna pull it today and go back over my work.. too many cooks in the kitchen when i was putting it all in (2 friends, late nite style). Ill get back on my progress.. thanks peoples for all the advice
Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:59 AM

So during the cable bushing replacement, the cable had gotten flipped under the hood without notice. It now shifts like a dream. The works polys are awesome but still might try brass just to take it a step further.. I have heard there is a negative side to going from stock rubber all the way to no-give, solid metal though. Thanks everybody for the tips.. much appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:28 AM

how do you close a thread?