Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.2L Stroker Owner's, Let Discuss Your Set-Ups

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2009, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2.2L Stroker Owner's, Let Discuss Your Set-Ups

Hey Guys, I want to build a 2.2L Stroker for my DSM.
Looking to make 500awhp and torque reliably, and I won't complain if I make more, but my drivetrain might.
I have all other supporting mods, that's covered.

I couldn't find any real answers on the DSM forums, so I had to ask the guys with the money...

I want to build a 2.2L using all off the shelf parts.

Eagle makes a 94mm crank, it's forged and nitrided, but from what I've read, it's a whopping 37lbs and definitely needs to be balanced.

Eagle 150mm H-Beams will work well, but they're not my first choice.

CP Pistons makes a 9.0:1 piston for this exact configuration.
The CP Pistons have the wrist pin moved up only 3mm instead of the usual 6mm found in the 2.3L strokers.

This combination of parts will yield a rod ratio of 1.60 and this is the same rod ratio found in the Cosworth, Tomei, Jun and some other 2.2L kits that run well over $5k.

GSC's kit uses the 94mm K1 crank, 156mm Manley Turbo Tuff Rods and custom pistons with the wrist pin moved up 9mm for a long rod set-up, but that's too extreme for my goals.

If I were to run a custom rod, it would be done with custom 153mm rods, and 2.3L stroker pistons, but I don't see the extra 0.03 rod ratio buying me anything worthy of the extra cost.

I want to hear from all of you about your experiences with the different 2.2L kits, or if you put one together like I plan to do, then let's hear from you too.

All parts will be individually balanced and blueprinted by the machine shop of choice.

Leaning hard on T.E.M. in Napa, California.

Let me know about your set-ups, looking to get this baby installed and fired by the first day of Spring 2010...

Last edited by Strm Trpr; Oct 3, 2018 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Tried to change the title.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

58 views, and no comments?
Come on guys.
Need some input.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong forums bro Surely, there is an eagle talon / DSM forum that can answer this for you
Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you Captian Obvious!

I already stated that the numerous DSM Forums that I frequent, have very few 2.2L owners.
There is one guy from Canada with a Magnus 2.2L, but his uses a 92mm stroker crank, not the 94mm stroker crank.
And I've contacted him, but that's just 1 person, I would like more input.

I posted here because I want to hear from 2.2L Evo owners about their set-ups, power bands, dyno plots and so on.

My 98 4G63 can use any of your Big Name Rotating Assemblies made for the EvoVIII's/IX's without a problem.

Hell, I could order up the Long Rod GSC 2.2L if I wanted to, but I don't and I can build an R.A. for less than have the cost of GSC's stroker.

In fact the thrust bearings for my engine are the exact part numbers used in Evo VIII's and IX's.

And the only reason why I don't have an Evo is because I hate payments, so enjoy yours.

Again, I understand I'm in the wrong forum, and I guess I should expect a little flak because of it, but I have a legitimate question that pertains to Evos, so WTF?

Last edited by Strm Trpr; Aug 7, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I'm running a 2.2 ltr, but I just haven't had the time to get a tune yet. Too busy messing with my Z28 right now. As far as I can tell it rpms fine, but that doesn't really tell you anything. I had a 2.3, but I went to a 2.2 to atempt to get some size and rpm. I went with a 4G64 block, 94mm, 150mm rods, custom pistons.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

So you destroked your 4G64.

May I ask why you went with 150mm rods?
Is it because you already had them from your 2.3L stroker?
Why not use 156mm rods and pistons with the wrist pin moved up 3mm for a compression height of 32mm instead of the stock 35mm, this would be ideal and yield a much better rod/stroke ratio of 1.66 vs. 150/94 for 1.60?

So with your combo, you're using a piston that has a compression height of 38mm would make them heavier unless you had them lightened.

Tell me more...
Old Aug 7, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

I forgot to ask, is that a 94mm Eagle Crank you're using?
Which rods did you go with?
Who made your custom pistons?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Strm Trpr
So you destroked your 4G64.

May I ask why you went with 150mm rods?
Is it because you already had them from your 2.3L stroker?
Why not use 156mm rods and pistons with the wrist pin moved up 3mm for a compression height of 32mm instead of the stock 35mm, this would be ideal and yield a much better rod/stroke ratio of 1.66 vs. 150/94 for 1.60?

So with your combo, you're using a piston that has a compression height of 38mm would make them heavier unless you had them lightened.

Tell me more...
If I used 156mm rod, the pistons would have been out of the hole because of my piston wrist pin height. I guess I could have gone with a higher height, but I think you'll have allot less skirt. My thinking may be flawed, but I was thinking at the time, more skirt, and stronger piston. Since 150mm was good (w/100 crank) was good to say 8000 to 8500 rpm, why not go down a little bit in crank (94mm) and open up a little in bore and deck height (4G64 block) to retain the current wrist pin height I had, and still spin it up to 9000-9500 all day. I'm no engine builder, but I figured I'd build it, get it tuned and try to go bigger turbo to take advantage of the higher rpms and see what happens.

I attempted to have it tuned twice, but something always shot me down. Last time was a broken blue wire on my front O2 sensor. Since no one has those on the shelf, it took a little while for me to get one.

Also I have two projects. My other a 1995 Z28. So my car cash has been going to that to get that finished up.

I forgot to ask, is that a 94mm Eagle Crank you're using?
Which rods did you go with?
Who made your custom pistons?
Yes on the eagle crank
Crower Rods
Weisco pistons
Old Aug 8, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 4G64, so I'm not sure if you care about my info.

Eagle 94mm crank
Manley 162mm TT rods
Wiseco custom pistons 9.5:1 (pin move up 9mm)

Check my thread in the dyno forum for #'s. It seems like the extra long rod really made a difference, as my car is making good power/torque on relatively little boost.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
I have a 4G64, so I'm not sure if you care about my info.

Eagle 94mm crank
Manley 162mm TT rods
Wiseco custom pistons 9.5:1 (pin move up 9mm)

Check my thread in the dyno forum for #'s. It seems like the extra long rod really made a difference, as my car is making good power/torque on relatively little boost.
Yep, that's a pretty awesome build, but way too extreme for me.
I'm on 91 craptane with 70/30 meth/h2o injection.
Plus my motor will be a part time DD/road racer HPDE on the weekends.

Thanks for your input, and be sure to link your thread from mine.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, that's a pretty awesome build, but way too extreme for me.
I'm on 91 craptane with 70/30 meth/h2o injection.
Plus my motor will be a part time DD/road racer HPDE on the weekends.

Thanks for your input, and be sure to link your thread from mine.
You gotta get the magic fuel. I'm using a 55 gallon drum because there isn't any around me either. E85 is what dreams are made of, lol.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Believe me as soon as I get a station near me, I'll be converting over.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 11:53 AM

now my 2.2L not finish yet but i,m using
eagle 94 mm crank
150mm pauter rods
CP 86mm piston custom made
Old Aug 9, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

excellent... see thats the exact the build I'm shooting for, except the .040" pistons.
Man, make sure and let us know how it turns out.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
4G64, Eagle 94mm, 162mm R&R billet aluminum rods, Custom ACL bearings, Coated 10:1 JE pistons, E85. We did the math on the Ultra long rod combo and 2.2 and it will rev exactly like a 2.0 if not a little better. The head has Kigglys in it and I am going to be playing with some custom 9 cams to see what crazy things I can do with the 3586.

If you want to do a '64 block I have one machined & notched for aluminum rods and a 94 like mine that a guy walked away from (Came from a 99 Spyder).

Quick Reply: 2.2L Stroker Owner's, Let Discuss Your Set-Ups