Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Am i running too lean?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am i running too lean?

My car is running a tbe with o2 housing and an AEM intake untuned with a zeitronix wideband just installed.

The AFR reading is around 20 to 21 when cruising in gear or at idle.

Is this normal for an untuned car with an intake or is there something else wrong?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

From what i understand thats running a little lean. Mine reads 14.6 at idle and cruze if i get on it the AFR drops down to 11-12 when the car is in gear and slowing down then i will read high numbers all the way off the gauge.

What does your car read when your under wide open throttle thats whats important.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Abnormal, and I would think that there is something wrong with your WB. It might need to be calibrated again because the car will just not run at the lean a level. It will buck and pop, then throw codes for things like: system lean, misfire, O2 stuck lean, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^

exactly what i was going to say...make sure you recalibrate it. there's no way it's anything else but the wideband

i have an innovate digital and it reads 14s at cruise
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks up stream of the wide band. That is WAY to lean, as its already been said, to lean to run. I had a problem with my car, I had a big exhaust leak up stream from the sensor and it was throwing off my readings big time. I fixed the leak and everything was back in spec.

Are you sure you are cruising, or are you under decel when you are seeing 20 and 21? cruise and idle should be 15.3 to 14.1, optimum being 14.7........ just drive at a constant speed with constant throttle and take a look.....

Zeitronix WB do not have a calibration like the innovate, and I have had very good luck with them in the past, its what I run on my car. Its possible the sensor is bad, has it been dropped or anything, does the electrical connector have any damage on it? As I understand it, the calibration resister is on the connector, and if that is damaged it could have poor readings.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my car idle's between 15.8-14.8
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denver
Make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks up stream of the wide band. That is WAY to lean, as its already been said, to lean to run. I had a problem with my car, I had a big exhaust leak up stream from the sensor and it was throwing off my readings big time. I fixed the leak and everything was back in spec.

Are you sure you are cruising, or are you under decel when you are seeing 20 and 21? cruise and idle should be 15.3 to 14.1, optimum being 14.7........ just drive at a constant speed with constant throttle and take a look.....

Zeitronix WB do not have a calibration like the innovate, and I have had very good luck with them in the past, its what I run on my car. Its possible the sensor is bad, has it been dropped or anything, does the electrical connector have any damage on it? As I understand it, the calibration resister is on the connector, and if that is damaged it could have poor readings.

I guess when i meant cruising, i most likely meant decel and its around 20 to 21. At idle, usually its 20 to 21 also, but it will sometimes be around 18 to 19.
I'll do more tests to check all the readings.

The sensor is brand new, but i'll check the connector since it's used. I checked if had a exhaust leak yesterday and i changed out the gaskets so that shouldn't be the cause.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJmarkymark
I guess when i meant cruising, i most likely meant decel and its around 20 to 21. At idle, usually its 20 to 21 also, but it will sometimes be around 18 to 19.
I'll do more tests to check all the readings.

The sensor is brand new, but i'll check the connector since it's used. I checked if had a exhaust leak yesterday and i changed out the gaskets so that shouldn't be the cause.
Decel should be 20 21.. but curise should be around 14.7, pretty much the same as idle. Check for boost leaks and exhaust leaks.. They are sneaky, and cause all kinds of problems. A boost leak can cause a lean idle, and a lean cruise also.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by denver
Decel should be 20 21.. but curise should be around 14.7, pretty much the same as idle. Check for boost leaks and exhaust leaks.. They are sneaky, and cause all kinds of problems. A boost leak can cause a lean idle, and a lean cruise also.
Cruising is around 14 to 16 ish range, but WOT is also around the same.

Idle stays around 19 to 21.

Could a boost leak be caused because of my intake?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
14 at wot is way to lean. Im thinking your wideband is off though check for an exhaust leak. Is your idle steady or does it act weird.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJmarkymark
Cruising is around 14 to 16 ish range, but WOT is also around the same.

Idle stays around 19 to 21.

Could a boost leak be caused because of my intake?
Check and make sure the vacuum line to your fuel pressure regulator is on. If it is not then your fuel pressure will not increase with boost. aka you run lean.

The idle could be caused from a boost leak, but generally you will not run lean at WOT due to a boost leak...

A boost leak will cause a lean idle and a rich WOT
because at Idle more air is being sucked into the system through the leak that is not accounted for, and at WOT air is being forced out that is already accounted for.... idle you are in vacuum, extra air is being sucked into the system, WOT you are in boost, so air is being pushed out of the system.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

I just noticed that at WOT at night its around 12 to 13.

I'll be taking it to a shop next week to see the exact problem.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

well i just realized my bov popped off

the idle is now at a consistent 15

the reading at wot is only about 11 though, i heard it should be around the 9ish area untuned
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^ Not after upgrading a few things, and upping the boost... I would highly suggest getting a tune though
Old Sep 11, 2009, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fast_Freddie
^ Not after upgrading a few things, and upping the boost... I would highly suggest getting a tune though
oh, ok

i will be getting a tune soon

Quick Reply: Am i running too lean?