Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 lifter or valve tick

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Evo 8 lifter or valve tick

I'm posting this in hopes of not only getting some help and advice, but also to help someone else that may be having the same problem. It all started a few months ago when I got my car back from the dealership after having a water pump replaced (not sure, but I don't think these problems are related). The night I picked it up I heard a slight tick coming from the engine. It only lasted a few seconds and then it went away so I didn't think much of it. However, since then the problem has gotten worse. The tick usually starts a few seconds after the car is first started after it's been sitting for more than 4-8 hours, give or take depending on how cold it is. The tick will progressively get worse for about 30 seconds and then suddenly cut out and the engine will sound totally normal. Up until about 2 weeks ago, once the tick cut out the first time it wouldn't come back, however, the last 2 weeks it has been fading in and out about every 15-20 seconds and it would do this until the engine has run for several minutes. I have a 10 minute ride to work and usually after I let it warm up for a minute or two and start driving it goes away. However, last week the tick faded in and out almost my entire ride to work so I decided I better get it into the shop. I took the car in on Wednesday but still haven't heard a final verdict on what the problem is. The mechanic's initial diagnosis was a bad lifter but it also seems like the top end is not getting enough oil and that could be the ultimate source of the problem. He also mentioned that I could have crank walk but from what I've read and understand that's highly unlikely on an Evo and doesn't really fit my symptoms anyway. Any suggestions on what the problem could be? Has anyone else had a problem like this? I'll post as soon as hear back from the shop on what they think the problem is.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifter tick is normal from what I have read. I have the same noise, but no problems. I only hear it during the winter time and really cold days.

I have no internal mods, just what is in my signature.

But I am also interested in what others have to say.
The following users liked this post:
RussianEVO (Jan 29, 2020)
Old Mar 7, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've had the same noises for the past 30-35K miles. Mine was attributed to my cam install. It's a little annoying on cold days, but it goes away once it warms up.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

I don't have any internal mods, just a full exhaust, intake, and intercooler. I live in Northern Illinois so at first I attributed it to the cold, but the main thing that concerns me about this is that it has gotten significantly worse the last couple weeks even though it has gotten a little warmer around here.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What weight oil are you running?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
What weight oil are you running?
I was running 10w40, which is what the guy I bought it from had been using up until he sold it to me back in october. However, I recently switched to 10w30 thinking that might help but it hasn't made a difference.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:13 PM
Evolved Member

Try 0W-40 Mobil1. That's what quieted my lifter tick.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 8, 2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Try 0W-40 Mobil1. That's what quited my lifter tick.
I may try that depending on what the mechanic says. Hopefully I'll hear from him tomorrow. It just seems like the oil pump isn't quite doing its job when the car is cold or maybe the oil screen is clogged or dirty.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I am not telling you to switch permanently to the 0W-40. I just think it would be worth a try as an experiment to see if it might silence the ticking. As, I said, it worked on my car which has one ruptured lifter. Even 5W-40 didn't silence my sticky lifter. But, the 0W-40 does. The 0W-40 flows very ell on cold startups.

A friend of mine had the ticking in his Evo after a cam swap. But, in that particular case it turned out to be that one of his new HKS cams' journals was slightly undersized or oval.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 8, 2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was having the same noise so I pulled my lifters and bled them and never heard it since.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

It's been almost a week now and the shop still hasn't gotten back to me yet on what the problem is. If I don't hear from them tomorrow I'm taking the car somewhere else. Anyone know of a good shop in northern IL that works on Evo's? Preferrably someone in or near Rockford.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Well it feels like its been forever but I finally got the car to a decent shop that could take care of me. Turns out it was a lifter that was basically gunked up. The mechanic pulled it out, cleaned it up, and he says it's running fine now. I still don't have the car back yet however because there were some other issues with the car that I'm having him take care while he has it. Hopefully I'll get her back by the end of the week.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Lifter tick is normal, to a certain extent. If there is a particularly loud lifter, it should be replaced. The new lifter should be properly primed before installation.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Finally got my car back Thursday night... YAAAAYYYYY!!! After three weeks of fighting with the warranty company they ended up not covering the replacment of the lifters (imagine that) so my mechanic just added some Sea Foam and it didn't totally cure the problem but it made it a lot better. The lifter still ticked a little bit for a few seconds the night I picked it up but since then it's been fine and I haven't really noticed it.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this happen to me after rebuilt turbo it get louder when rev above 3000 rpm
here a video of it.....

Quick Reply: Evo 8 lifter or valve tick