Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

whats the point of resetting ecu?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2003, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question whats the point of resetting ecu?

i have been reading in some threads of people reseeting their ecu on occasion, why do you do this?

what i was thinking:

evo ecu learns and if you have been driving slow for a period of time the ecu does not let the engine reach full potential when you decide to slam on gas.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what it is that the ECU "learns". I always thought everything was based on sensor readings. MAF, coolant temps, O2, knock, CAS..etc. Reset the ECU and those sensors still work the same.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I agree. When you install a new part, the ecu will adjust to the part. If you reset the ecu after installing the part. The Ecu will think its the stock part and not the new one.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

The trouble with that logic is that the ECU will learn what vaules the sensors should be seeing. If you drive around with stock parts for a while and switch out say, your intake, the MAF won't see the same values it was before, triggering a warning to the ECU, causing it to throw a CEL.

Add or change a part, reset. It's the best way to prevent trouble. If you need proof, search for how many people have reset ECUs to fix problems caused by bolt-ons.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 04:08 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Originally posted by Sailorgoon
The trouble with that logic is that the ECU will learn what vaules the sensors should be seeing. If you drive around with stock parts for a while and switch out say, your intake, the MAF won't see the same values it was before, triggering a warning to the ECU, causing it to throw a CEL.

Add or change a part, reset. It's the best way to prevent trouble. If you need proof, search for how many people have reset ECUs to fix problems caused by bolt-ons.
Nothing with the evo except get you out of the secondary timing and fuel maps if your in them