Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor Swap in 8 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor Swap in 8 hours?

So I have a buddy that can get me lift time to swap in my new motor I just had built, but the only catch is I only get 8 hours to do it.

To save time I am planning on dropping the motor attached to the tranny and installing the new motor w/ a new tranny attached to it. Will this be faster?

I've pulled a motor w/ tranny out of a evo before with a hoist but that was from above and time wasn't a issue. I'll be be dropping this one thanks to the lift.

So what do you guys think, can it be done?

Note: My buddy that just graduated UTI will be helping me.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Its possible, can you do it? IDK
UTI is a joke, I know someone that graduated from there and still thinks vtec is meant to add power.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it possible? Of course, as long as every bolt and nut budged the first try and everything popped out and came off perfectly with no hold ups.

Are the odds in your favor? Probably not.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

It ones of those programs were you only get as much as you put into it. There was a kid like that in his class that they would poke fun at, he was stubbern and didn't believe it was for economy even after the teach told him. My buddy put everything into that school and it shows. Not only did he graduate in the top 3, but last month he had to do his girlfriends head gasket on the side of the in under 3 hours at 12 o'clock at night.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:56 PM
R0b
Evolving Member

drive in, drive out, its going to be a bit of a rush - especially if bolts dont go your way.

If youre driving in, yank then engine and dropping another in (without making it all go), then this is do-able..

downside to this is towing home

upside, the major work is done so at least all the other stuff can be put in without a lift/hoist..
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I was just talking to my buddy and we think it might be worth paying a tow truck $50 to drop it of and pick it up. We would undo everything but the mounts at home on saturday and then have it towed to the lift on sunday, do as much as possible and then tow it back home to finish up all the sensors and crap.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Why not pull the head off and disconnect everything, drain all the fluids and disconnect the t case and drive shaft.

He had 6 job interviews at dealers because the school helps you get interviews. Lets just say he still doesnt have a job 6 months after graduating.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you know what to disconnect, and drop the subframe, it can be done in 8 hours. hell, i've done similar 4 banger motors in 4hrs. sometimes while the customer waits.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Not and Evo, just putting my .02 in. Anyhow, my friend and I pulled the motor with the transmission out of his 95 GS-R in roughly 5 hours, in his hot garage with no form of A/C whatsoever. Keep in mind, I consider myself highly mechanically inclined (when working on other peoples cars) and my friend, well...he tries.

That may not help you at all but I agree with what has already been said. Do everything you can prior to putting it on the lift, that will save 30-45 minutes unplugging all the sensors (if you know where they all are) and releasing the fuel pressure and tasks like that. I think it can be done.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Its possible, can you do it? IDK
UTI is a joke, I know someone that graduated from there and still thinks vtec is meant to add power.
uhh, vtec, infact does add power... It doesn't just make the sound.. What school did you go to after HS?

To the OP, if it's your first time (haha) it's gunna be tough, if not, go for it.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo8luva
uhh, vtec, infact does add power... It doesn't just make the sound.. What school did you go to after HS?

To the OP, if it's your first time (haha) it's gunna be tough, if not, go for it.

Get your facts straight. Im really not about to get into this.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as per wikipedia, it looks like it was for power at first but for economy now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

VTEC was initially designed to increase the power output of an engine to 100 ps/liter or more while maintaining practicality for use in mass production vehicles. Some later variations of the system were designed solely to provide improvements in fuel efficiency, or increased power output as well as improved fuel efficiency. In practice, a fully variable valve timing engine is difficult to design and implement.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3gEclipseTurbo
Get your facts straight. Im really not about to get into this.
then wtf are you talking about and how was calling "Uti a joke" relavent to anything, the OP has a buddy willing to help, that went though a school that should have provided him with some automotive knowledge... Please respond I wanna be schooled on what vtec does and what it's results are. I want your short version, apparently you know something nobody else does.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Of course VTEC adds power . When VTEC engages the rockers lock and will ride on the higher lift cam lobe ultimately making MORE POWER. WOW

Here if you don't believe me read up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT_ZyY3F0k
Old Jun 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rcheung
as per wikipedia, it looks like it was for power at first but for economy now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

VTEC was initially designed to increase the power output of an engine to 100 ps/liter or more while maintaining practicality for use in mass production vehicles. Some later variations of the system were designed solely to provide improvements in fuel efficiency, or increased power output as well as improved fuel efficiency. In practice, a fully variable valve timing engine is difficult to design and implement.
Thanks, I think.. Not sure if i can handle all this tech talk about the mysterious VTEC!!!

Quick Reply: Motor Swap in 8 hours?