Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Spoolin up coils

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spoolin up coils

Looking for spec on the spoolin up cop setup for evo 8. I know its a toyota coil but what type and how to test if one is bad ect.

Also how to contact spoolin up for the warrenty he offers if this is the problem? thanks
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
hey has a website...he is also a vendor on here so I would just send him a message and find out.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know he list which coils you can use if you buy the DIY kit, I would go by that. Also, just pm him, he's pretty quick about replying to that stuff.

Good Luck
Old Sep 17, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Denso coils. As far as testing a coil, snap on makes a tester. I dont know how good it is though as I havent tried it out.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

if a coil is just getting a little weak and blowing out at high boost, the only way to narrow it down is to get a new one and try it one cylinder at a time until the problem goes away.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:46 PM

Thanks well if that's the case spoolinup offedrs a warranty bugt impossible to get a hold of
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n2oiroc
if a coil is just getting a little weak and blowing out at high boost, the only way to narrow it down is to get a new one and try it one cylinder at a time until the problem goes away.
just swap coils from to cylinder to cylinder and follow the misfire. no need to buy a new one
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo2evoawd
Thanks well if that's the case spoolinup offedrs a warranty bugt impossible to get a hold of
Have you emailed or pm'd him? You make a thread before doing this. "Impossible" to reach? Maybe if you try it would be less impossible. I'll have Matt contact you.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Hit up his website in the DIY section it says which coils to run. Thats what i did. Ordered the DIY kit and went from there. 5k miles so with no problems so far.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KX250Fmotoracer
just swap coils from to cylinder to cylinder and follow the misfire. no need to buy a new one
you thing the ecu is going to tell you where the misfire is at high rpm and high boost? generally you can only pick up misfires at lower rpm but most coils are fine down there.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:09 AM
Silver Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo2evoawd
I do warranty, even out of the warranty period, but in order to get a hold of me you actually have to email, PM, or AIM me! Please don't say I'm hard to get a hold of and ruin my spectacular rep for near-instant replies to email/PM's/trouble issues when you have NOT actually tried! I even scanned through my SPAM box and nothing in there.

First and foremost, has any troubleshooting been done? What is the issue? 99% of the time it's a boost leak when a customer has an issue!

As for how to test (Toyota does not publish these, you won't find this ANYWHERE on the web I assure you) :

Test with a multimeter.

Left to right pins with the coil facing you.
1 - 2 - 3 - 4
1 - 2 = .352K
1 - 4 = 33K
2 - 4 = 33K
3 - 4 = 27M

Those numbers are approximate. You are looking for a coil that is not consistent with the rest.

Next time feel free to PM me as no one knows these Denso coils better than me.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:11 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
you thing the ecu is going to tell you where the misfire is at high rpm and high boost? generally you can only pick up misfires at lower rpm but most coils are fine down there.
I bet he means to read the plugs after a run! That's the easy way to diagnose a misfire.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i can atest to Matt's warranty program. i bought a used kit and a couple of months ago my car developed a problem that we thought could have been an ignition issue (way past the warranty) and Matt was willing to help me out and replace the suspected bad coil. my car ended up having a torn coupler and not a coil but that shows how confident and willing he is to help his customers. his response time was quick! great warranty!!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:11 AM
Silver Sponsor

Originally Posted by vmrevo9
i can atest to Matt's warranty program. i bought a used kit and a couple of months ago my car developed a problem that we thought could have been an ignition issue (way past the warranty) and Matt was willing to help me out and replace the suspected bad coil. my car ended up having a torn coupler and not a coil but that shows how confident and willing he is to help his customers. his response time was quick! great warranty!!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ wtf?

Quick Reply: Spoolin up coils