Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can I make my own E85 with pump gas + VP M1?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Broham

there are methods to make e85 if you can process the corn. you'd need a large area of corn to attempt a substantial quantity of e85 say a few thousand miles worth.
Or, if you don't have access to thousands of miles of land to plant corn, you can simply distill your own alcohol from a number of different sources and make 99% pure alcohol and then mix it with gasoline to get your desired ethanol percentage...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:18 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Methanol is by far superior to ethanol performance wise. But it would be very troublesome to go any more concentrated than M50. Consider M50 equivalent to E85 in many regards.

By the way, what kind of methanol can you get that cheap, anhydrous in a drum?
im a VP dealer, and cost on M1 is pretty cheap.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:18 PM
JYD
Evolving Member

so it seems like its not really worth it....cool....thats why i asked. thanks for the input.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Methanol is extremely corrosive. You can't run methanol in most fuel systems and even the ones you can, you still drain the tank and run gasoline through the system after every race to purge the system of methanol.

It is better then E85 though from a performance perspective. Pretty difficult to tune though, very easy to put a hole in a piston or window a block with it.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Gas and meth do mix, its called M85 and was attempted/tested to Ford in the early 90s concept car called the Mach3 (not the razor).

Most of us order E98 from the companies that mix 10% ethanol in pumpfuel and get it before its mixed. However as been pointed in detail M1 is methanol (wood alcohol) and ETHANOL is grain alcohol. One is everclear and consumable, the other will make you go blind and then kill you. Remember our cars want we drink, not what kills us.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I know the actual topic here isn't how to make ethanol, thank God since some of you have no business typing anything on the subject. If I could edit I'd take 3/4 of the posts out of here.

It doesn't take thousands of miles of corn.............depending on yield, one single acre of corn in this area can produce 560 gallons of ethanol, that is 98%. You can burn ethanol down to a 60% range, which would make your actual yield even higher, depending on the performance you were looking to get out of it and that is also a debatable subject as there are instances of making big power even on 60%, the 60% I am referring to would have the other 40% as water from not distilling it pure enough. Doing this, as I said, makes the mass content higher but of course looses energy/mileage by running it. It does speed up distilling considerably. Point is at 60% you could get as much as 784 gallons per acre in this area.

I'll be doing a good thread in the upcoming weeks on actually making ethanol. Hopefully with some pictures and video of my boiler/still running.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

I bought my still from here: http://www.milehidistilling.com/

You need a federal permit to do this, keep that in mind before you go to jail and it can't be drank.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
I know the actual topic here isn't how to make ethanol, thank God since some of you have no business typing anything on the subject. If I could edit I'd take 3/4 of the posts out of here.

It doesn't take thousands of miles of corn.............depending on yield, one single acre of corn in this area can produce 560 gallons of ethanol, that is 98%. You can burn ethanol down to a 60% range, which would make your actual yield even higher, depending on the performance you were looking to get out of it and that is also a debatable subject as there are instances of making big power even on 60%, the 60% I am referring to would have the other 40% as water from not distilling it pure enough. Doing this, as I said, makes the mass content higher but of course looses energy/mileage by running it. It does speed up distilling considerably. Point is at 60% you could get as much as 784 gallons per acre in this area.

I'll be doing a good thread in the upcoming weeks on actually making ethanol. Hopefully with some pictures and video of my boiler/still running.

This post makes me think that the next step in your business is Buschur Farms, Inc.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
buschur,

i understand you knowledge of corn and distilling, but the op has understood it's not worth it, and i think i confused the members by saying a few thousand miles worth.
a few thousand miles worth meaning the mileage you will get for the car. not how many miles of corn. what kind of logic do you think i have saying a few thousand miles of corn??!!!! that is a whole state or so. surely nobody owns that much land. 784 gallons per acre sounds doable, but that is still a large amount of corn for the op, you don't just randomly go outside and grow an acre of corn.

also, buschur, why don't you start selling alocholic beverages? given the permits can't you make your own drinks since you have a distiller?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Gas and meth do mix, its called M85 and was attempted/tested to Ford in the early 90s concept car called the Mach3 (not the razor).

Most of us order E98 from the companies that mix 10% ethanol in pumpfuel and get it before its mixed. However as been pointed in detail M1 is methanol (wood alcohol) and ETHANOL is grain alcohol. One is everclear and consumable, the other will make you go blind and then kill you. Remember our cars want we drink, not what kills us.
Might want to tell ppl which one, I see the 2.4 guru (The guy that has a shop building the motor) telling ppl that methonal is safe to drink) because he read it somewhere.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Methanol kills.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

it travels through the skin and will blind u if you drink it. careful with methanol.

everclear had skull and crossbones on the bottle when i saw it in college. not legal where i live
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Not Buschur Farms but close, different name, I don't want it associated with the shop. I'm not selling any fuel, or at least I don't plan too. IF I find it's fairly enjoyable to do and everything goes well I'm gonna pick up something to drive full time (I don't drive my EVO all year) and run the fuel in it.

Thousands of miles per year in a car, yes makes more sense than thousands of miles of corn! haha

The permit to produce consumable whiskey is VERY expensive, highly regulated and taxed. I have ZERO interest in making any to drink or even drinking a drop myself. It is the same, what comes out of my ethanol still is moonshine, so it's drinkable. It has to be denatured though (made poisonous) to make the operation legal.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

lol! well i look forward to reading the make your own ethanol thread. THe only way i've seen it done on a substantial scale to quantify for sufficient use is with the milling methods which required a large quantity of corn in plants. unfortunately this is too serious of an operation for individuals so large companies dominate.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...anol_plant.jpg
it'll be interesting to see the distiller in action for personal use
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

I should save all this for the other thread, I'm sure it will come up again though.

A few years ago when I got interested in this I had an argument with someone about it. You have the guys who are against ethanol and those for it. This guy I argued with was against it, he had done his reading and it takes more energy to produce than what you get out of it, it takes valuable food away from people/animals etc. Well I didn't agree then and now a few years later I agree even less.

First of all, from a small scale production, such as mine will be, the amount of fossil fuel required will be very little. I'll be using a tractor to work the ground up obviously, I may even plant it using a tractor ( I have a walk behind planter too). I'll have some fuel in cultivating it until it gets a few feet high too, so the weeds stay out of it. In reality I'm figuring 10 gallons of fuel spent to put in the acre. Picking it, doing it by hand. Shelling it and grinding it are done without use of fuel or electric from the grid. Also, after the corn is ground and used for ethanol I'll be feeding it back to some animals I have, it's called DDGS, the corn ends up being a high protein feed stock and it sells for MORE than the original bushel of corn did in the first place. Crazy.

Quick Reply: Can I make my own E85 with pump gas + VP M1?