Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

stck vs built motor

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by erald01
the clearences of the stock motor will never be the same anymore once the motor is taken apart and rebuilt, thats what it comes down to. I would take a OEM longblock over any build motor. Yes there is reputable shops out there that build good engines and try to make the engine as good as the oem one just stronger, BUT its still not the same.

It comes down to the basic mechanical common sense, once you take something apart and put it together will it ever be the same??? NOPE, it will be very close to it but not the same.
Agree...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by erald01
the clearences of the stock motor will never be the same anymore once the motor is taken apart and rebuilt, thats what it comes down to. I would take a OEM longblock over any build motor. Yes there is reputable shops out there that build good engines and try to make the engine as good as the oem one just stronger, BUT its still not the same.

It comes down to the basic mechanical common sense, once you take something apart and put it together will it ever be the same??? NOPE, it will be very close to it but not the same.
Ever heard of blueprinting? That's where a shop takes an OEM engine apart and then builds it the way it should have been done in the first place.

BTW, the big difference between a stock engine and a built engine is the pistons. Built engines have forged pistons while stock is cast. Forged pistons, while stronger, have more thermo expansion and therefore require larger clearances. Larger clearances mean shorter engine life before the engine becomes an oil burner. If looking for long engine life you will use cast pistons that are carefully fitted.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by stck_trbo_mnstr
450 trq more or less
You are on borrowed time. Thats why Im building my motor very soon. That way I wont be scared every time I get on it.