Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

going to upgrade my intercooler from stock...quick ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
going to upgrade my intercooler from stock...quick ?

on my ix i have a TBE, no cat,housing, tune and E85 all on the stock intercooler.

about to upgrade to a used AMS intercooler. what performace gains will i notice if any at all?

my buddy who helped me tune the car informed me that the gains will be minimal but the chances of knock are going to be waaaayyyy down and he said my top end should improve alot since the stock ix intercooler is choking my car right now.
anyone care to share what they noticed right away when they upgraded their intercooler from the stock one?

Last edited by 5 ltr. beater; Apr 13, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Your able to run more boost w less knock, that's potential power increase. It wont heat soak so u will make consistent power time and time again as u produce more heat from the Turbo. You will probably initially see that u will make the same power but now ur at lower boost levels, so it allows u to crank the boost up while producing more safe power.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
on my ix i have a TBE, no cat,housing, tune and E85 all on the stock intercooler.

about to upgrade to a used AMS intercooler. what performace gains will i notice if any at all?

my buddy who helped me tune the car informed me that the gains will be minimal but the chances of knock are going to be waaaayyyy down and he said my top end should improve alot since the stock ix intercooler is choking my car right now.
anyone care to share what they noticed right away when they upgraded their intercooler from the stock one?

The stock intercooler is good up to around 440WHP so if you arent pushing over that the gains wont be huge but the knock will be lower if you even have any and you really shouldnt in the first place.

Originally Posted by ilikeboost
Your able to run more boost w less knock, that's potential power increase. It wont heat soak so u will make consistent power time and time again as u produce more heat from the Turbo. You will probably initially see that u will make the same power but now ur at lower boost levels, so it allows u to crank the boost up while producing more safe power.
All intercoolers will eventually heat soak...
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

like the above poster said, unless your planning on going bigger turbo, you will not notice huge gains right away bc the stocker is a very solid unit. that being said it will lower your air temps which is good for all of the above. if you are getting an AMS used at a good price it might be worth it.

again tho, stock turbo, unless the deal is to good, money could be used else for more performance. Piping is something to consider since that is the major choking point for the stock units, will increase lag slightly but give you some decent gains.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:55 PM

mmmm....so if i kept the stock intercooler but instead go hardpiping all the way,that will net me a few more ponies as well?
i thought the hard piping was mainly to keep the boost from dropping off.?

have there been any threads that discuss the before and after doing the hard pipe on an evo?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
The way i look at it if you can get a good deal on the fmic why not get it. if your going to try to make big power later its one less thing you were need to worry about. but also the hard pipes will help pick up a few hp and help your car run better for now
Old Apr 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

An upgrade like that cools the air better, causing more air equaling more power. Might not be a lot but will see more.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

do it, im getting the AMS intercooler too
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The intercooler is one of the best investments, esp if you are going to upgrade later. Upgraded LICP is must if you don't have that already.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

I went from the stocker at 400 whp on the stock 8 turbo (10.5 hotside) to the 3.5" Turbo XS and I really didnt notice a big difference on just a single pull, but on back to back or on a pull past 4th gear is where you will really notice the difference. My car used to pull very hard through 3rd and then you could tell it was losing steam in 4th due to heat soak. After the new IC it pulls very hard no matter how long I am on it. Its worth the investment
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:43 PM

You will notice more of a difference when you do back to back runs, less heatsoak like said before...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 05:53 AM

Intercooler/tune

Do you need to get a tune if you upgrade your intercooler, pipping and BOV?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GIjoe27
Do you need to get a tune if you upgrade your intercooler, pipping and BOV?
it's safe to drive but for better gains you can tune it.i know it's expensive so try to collect more performance parts like cams,fuel pump etc and then tune it.gl
Old Jan 27, 2014, 09:55 AM

Thank you.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd be careful with "used" AMS intercoolers. Unless they have the new cast end tanks, a majority of them are the crappy ebay copy that people resell as "AMS".

Quick Reply: going to upgrade my intercooler from stock...quick ?