Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

broke my engine, need serious help!!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broke my engine, need serious help!!

i bought this car for 8500 and brought it to the body shop to have the frame replaced. the shop pulled the motor and then saw that the top passenger side motor mount broke. and could have possibly messed up the tension on the belt. (the car did start move and idle fine) but now im concerned that something else could be seriously wrong with the motor and Ive already dumped a whole lot into this car i posted some pictures below but idk if they show everything i mean. any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is how the motor was sitting in the car.

Old May 6, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

please delete im re-posting in evo general.
Old May 6, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

so you think that there is something wrong with the motor since the motor mount broke?? Is there any reasons?? Is there enough tension on the belt??
Old May 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way to tell unless you have someone scope the the motor, pull the pan or tear it down completely.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; May 6, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
...i don't see what you're concered about
Old May 6, 2011, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Yea i dont see the concern. The motor mount bracket bolts to the side of the block...While if i remember correctly, the idler pulley is on that same bracket, the part you broke off has nothing to do with the timing belt itself. Just where the motor mount bolts to it.
Old May 7, 2011, 01:50 PM

you can get a new motor mount err mount. it is kind of a pain to replace cause it will involve removing the timing belt. but as a precaution i'd replace the main bearings. just becauase the weight of the engine was supported by the input shaft on the transmission.
Old May 7, 2011, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fast3voviii
you can get a new motor mount err mount. it is kind of a pain to replace cause it will involve removing the timing belt. but as a precaution i'd replace the main bearings. just becauase the weight of the engine was supported by the input shaft on the transmission.
Theres no reason to replace the main bearings if there is nothing wrong with the engine. The engine and trans are actually held in by 4 mounts so there is no worry about the bearings being damaged because of that reason.

OP: Double check that the timing belt marks all line up and reinstall the passenger side mount.
Old May 8, 2011, 01:37 AM

first turn the engine by hand and after that check the cams timing. if engine is turning and everything is in place then crank the engine. you can do a compression test as well...
Old May 8, 2011, 02:01 AM

I probably wouldn't even worry about a compression test unless it was blowing white or blue smoke out the exhaust.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:01 AM

yeah the car is held up by 4 mounts. but do you know where those mounts are placed?? 1 on the engine and the rest are on the transmission. with that mount being broken the only thing holding the motor up are the 3 transmission mounts, axles and drive shaft, and some piping. the rest of the weight of the motor is being held by the input shaft on the ransmission. just saying
Old May 8, 2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by OsirisFool
I probably wouldn't even worry about a compression test unless it was blowing white or blue smoke out the exhaust.
how about bend valves?
Old May 8, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fast3voviii
yeah the car is held up by 4 mounts. but do you know where those mounts are placed?? 1 on the engine and the rest are on the transmission. with that mount being broken the only thing holding the motor up are the 3 transmission mounts, axles and drive shaft, and some piping. the rest of the weight of the motor is being held by the input shaft on the ransmission. just saying
How about all of the bolts that attached the transmission to the engine? I would say those are supporting the most weight, not to mention the dowels in the engine to hold on the trans. The input shaft isn't supporting anything. at needing to replace the main bearings.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by rgeier11
how about all of the bolts that attached the transmission to the engine? I would say those are supporting the most weight, not to mention the dowels in the engine to hold on the trans. The input shaft isn't supporting anything. At needing to replace the main bearings.
+1
Old May 8, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rgeier11
How about all of the bolts that attached the transmission to the engine? I would say those are supporting the most weight, not to mention the dowels in the engine to hold on the trans. The input shaft isn't supporting anything. at needing to replace the main bearings.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quick Reply: broke my engine, need serious help!!