Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HELP PLEASE, coolant in oil pan after fresh rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2011, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP PLEASE, coolant in oil pan after fresh rebuild

long story short i got my motor and head built by well known shop both at the same time put the motor back in then before i dropped it off for a tune/vpro install i decided to get a slim line rad and put it in filled it with coolant then next day before dropping the car off went and check all the fluids again and noticed the coolant was low ( mind u i never started the car to circulate everything cause i couldn't start the car due to vpro and other things not hooked up) so i filled it back up didnt think anything of it cause i knew it wasnt started and circulated so i dropped the car off at iveys and when they went to change the oil to start it up he said about a gal to 2 gals of antifreeze/water came out... the head gasket is on right he said and now i have to pay another $1000 for them to figure out why coolant is getting into the oil pan!
Has anyone ever heard of this or had this problem? Im lost right now and cant figure out why any help would be greatly appreciated! How else can coolant come into contact or get into the oil other then the head gasket????

car never has been started
motor has 0 miles on it
new oil pump/cover
new head gasket / head is o-ringed
new head studs

Last edited by 1badgsex; Aug 5, 2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

well i got a call from will at iveys and they said the o-ring on the head is starting to come out!!! they said they are gonna call the place i got it built and see what he says i hope theres no probs its a brand new head, yeah it sat around for a while but was in a box wrapped up so in hoping i can ship it to him and he fixes the o-ring.

Last edited by 1badgsex; Aug 5, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

thats a **** load of coolant. either the job was done right or you might have damaged the head when putting the motor together.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

all i did was put the head studs in and the head on, the block was on a engine stand too nothign was in the car everything was assembled out of the car then dropped in the car
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long was it sitting around? It's possible that the o-ring dried up. Good luck getting it sorted out.
Old Aug 5, 2011, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

It sat for a little while, close to a year but the motor was inside of a engine building room covered the whole time and the o ring is made out of copper or brass I believe ... Some kind of metal I know that so I don't see it dryin up but the car is at iveys and in good hands I'm not worried about that It just sucks that all these probs are happening to me, but u know the sayin u gotta pay to play !!!
Old Aug 7, 2011, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Does anyone know if u can reuse the steel orings once u torque down the head? Meaning once it's torqued down and seats should u replace them ?