Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Modding my Evo IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modding my Evo IX

Good Day Gentlemen.
I have recently aquired a JDM Evo IX Gsr and have decided to build the car as a daily driver/ weekend auto X warrior.
I had an Evo VII which I recently sold but I have a ton of parts which will go into the Evo IX.
The Evo IX is completely stock.
I want the car to be very responsive and have alot of torque.
The following mods will be installed next week:

Muellerized Ohlins R&T
Whiteline Roll Center Kit.
Bump Steer Kit
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
Greddy Comp Ti-C Exhaust
Aeromotive 340lph Intank Pump

I intend on removing the stock Evo IX Engine Gearbox and Transfer case and installing a Shep Racing Gearbox and Transfercase and an AMS 23rr motor with Cosworth Head, GSC S2 Cams, AMS F1 Intake Manifold, 1000 CC Injectors, Buschur Ported Stock Exhaust Manifold, SparkTech NON CDI System, all of which I already have in my possession.
The Stock Evo IX engine will be then fully built and kept as a spare.
For now I will install the Stock Evo IX Turbo on the 2.3rr
I will also be installing an ETS FMIC and piping and shearer dump.

My problem is that I dont know if I can use the stock evo IX Ecu and harness on the Cosworth Head as this is non-mivec.
I was told that it can work, but I will just need to disconnect the rear cam sensor and the mivec solenoid.
Has anyone done this?

My other options are to purchase either the Haltech Evo IX Plug In ECU or the Motec Evo IX Plug In ECU as I was told that both these units will plug into the Evo IX Harness and will be able to work with both the Cosworth (Non Mivec) head and the Evo IX (Mivec) Head.
Does anyone have any insight on this?

After all this has been sorted out, I will then look at purchasing either a FP Green or FP Red turbo. I currently have the AMS GT950R Turbo Kit, but that will most likely be sold as that is more for a drag application.

Thanks in advance for your kind responses.
I will start posting pics of the build soon.