Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 Crankshaft Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 Crankshaft Question

Okay, so I have an engine and two cranks. Both cranks were running condition. Well, I need to know if the crank needs to be turned before I rebuild the engine or do you guys normally just use the cranks. I am really beside myself as to what to do.

One crank has unknown mileage and the other one is at 15500 original miles. One spun a bearing because of low oil, the other was complete and running 100%.

Just need a bit of suggestion, and if you need pictures or something please let me know. I really would like to know what the clearance specs are as well maybe I am supposed to take an emery cloth to them?

Basically I just need to know what is normally done when rebuilding one of these cars.

Thanks,
Austin
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Before you'd use either one, it would be useful for you to take them to a experienced, competent machine shop, or better yet, a reputable crankshaft shop. They need to be checked for roundness, size, fillet radius, and may need micropolishing. The one that spun a bearing would likely need turning down a size, which some people think disqualifies it for performance use. Others think that's just fine, as long as the work is properly done. Since the crank is the central part of your short block, this is not a place to scrimp on your rebuild.

I don't have experience on polishing a crank myself with emory cloth. I'd not recommend it.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Before you'd use either one, it would be useful for you to take them to a experienced, competent machine shop, or better yet, a reputable crankshaft shop. They need to be checked for roundness, size, fillet radius, and may need micropolishing. The one that spun a bearing would likely need turning down a size, which some people think disqualifies it for performance use. Others think that's just fine, as long as the work is properly done. Since the crank is the central part of your short block, this is not a place to scrimp on your rebuild.

I don't have experience on polishing a crank myself with emory cloth. I'd not recommend it.
As he said a good machine shop will get the specs and make sure both cranks are in good working order. If one is better then the other or maybe both may need micropolishing to make sure everything is in working order. The shop will also prob give you recomendations on bearings if they have to work on the crank in any given length to ensure everything is in spec.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Sounds good