Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

need help choosing a turbo D':

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help choosing a turbo D':

so the time has come to finally go with a new turbo on my 8 MR, im not going for anything crazy since it is a DD but i would Love to see the 450 range to 400 maybe. The two im thinking of for the price is a 35r and the fp green, i know these arent very big but its for the fact that i only have 91 oct out here and the nearest e-85 is about 30 miles out lol. please helpful feedback is much appreciated and as you can tell from the choice of turbos its kinda a budget build, after all is done i will be doing the tune through MELLON RACING

Injen intake with upper an lower piping
AVO 3in intercooler
AVO 3in catback exhaust
Invidia downpipe
HKS version 3 BOV
720cc injectors (thinkin of going to 1050 fic's)
HKS 272 camS
ACT stage 2 clutch
walbro 255

-hope im not forgetting anything
Old Feb 18, 2012, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Between the two turbos that you mention the 35R is considered relatively "big". The FP HTA Green on the other hand is considerably, "smaller". But, these two turbos are useful extremes in your search. I think that for a DD the 35R may be too large whereas the HTA Green may be a bit too small to achieve 400 WHP on 91 octane gas at your 4000 ft. elevation.

Last edited by sparky; Feb 18, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sparkys right your kinda at extremes in the turbo world there something in the middle is needed,, Of course im biased but my choice would be a MAP EF3 heres my charts on 93 octane stock block with boltons.
I know you said price is a factor do yourself a favor and call MAP i heard maybe a rumor that they might have a barely used one at a resonable discount.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:37 AM

So is there anything else you would recommend? The fact that I only have 91 oct holds me back extremely right?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
91 will hold you back big time yes, but you should still see your goals with an EF3 from MAP. The HKS 272's will hold you back a bit too.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're on a budget, stock frame will help you stay within your budget
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:58 AM

Ya Ive heard to go with the gs2's also that maybe the 720 injectors should hold up but I'm not sure on that
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would also ditch the Injen licp that thing is a restriction.

Do you have a ported ex mani and intake mani?

Is your O2 housing stock, ported, or aftermarket?

The BBK Full has proven to be excellent on 91 oct, The HTA Green would be my second choice on 91, but the BBK Full seems to make better power at slightly lower boost levels than the green on 91.

If you want a turbo that has excellent spool up and a nice broad power band but your limited to 91 octane, then I feel that the BBK Full is the best choice, I've owned one and it's my favorite for low oct gas, I live in California so were limited to crappy 91 and E-85 is not widespread here.

Now if you can get a hold of some 93 Oct then I would choose the HTA Green is preforms better on this fuel than 91.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
OK. Well you mentioned a range of +50whp difference if goals which still gives you a fairly good range of turbo options. Since you stated that, would you be as happy with 400whp as you would with 450whp? I, too, am a victim of pump/91 being that I live in Arizona. However, E85 is pretty available in my part of the state. That said, on the small side of the spectrum, the FP Green or BBK Full would break the 400whp mark on pump/91. If you are leaning more towards the 450whp mark, then FP Red would be my selections. This is if I were purchasing a turbo used as they are fairly common here on evoM. If I were looking to buy brand new, I am a fan of the MAP EF3 for your posted intentions. Basically, you have to determine if you are going to buy used or new.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Problem is on a Full or Green you will be lucky to tickle 400whp on your current mod list, You will need a turbo with a little more pop.

Two things that will help quite a bit are an o2 housing and getting a ported exhaust manifold, running on 91 octane is all about having really good flow overall so porting all your stock stuff is a bonus and relativly cheap..

I forgot about this but the numbers i made above i duplicated on 92 octane as my tunes are on the safe side due to the amount of road racing i do with the car, they should be easily attainable by anyone with a few proper boltons.

Another thing i forgot to ask about are you going to run ECU controlled boost or a MBC???
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:23 AM

So which pipe would you say is better for licp? Porting the exhaust Mani on Monday, stock 02 housing, ya 400 is te minimum goal since it is a dd an then maybe later put another map for e-85, but the plan is only 91 for now unfortunately
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

To the OP I'm assuming as are the others, that your hp goal is based off Dynojet numbers correct?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by getsideways
Problem is on a Full or Green you will be lucky to tickle 400whp on your current mod list, You will need a turbo with a little more pop.

Two things that will help quite a bit are an o2 housing and getting a ported exhaust manifold, running on 91 octane is all about having really good flow overall so porting all your stock stuff is a bonus and relativly cheap..

I forgot about this but the numbers i made above i duplicated on 92 octane as my tunes are on the safe side due to the amount of road racing i do with the car, they should be easily attainable by anyone with a few proper boltons.

Another thing i forgot to ask about are you going to run ECU controlled boost or a MBC???
Oh, my mistake. I did not know the the listed parts above were all that the OP was working with. Is the OP not going to replace anything? If the parts are what we are working with, then yes, the FP Red or EF3 would be my selections. I agree with your porting options and increasing flow potential. For the tuning, I would have to vote for the 3-port and ECU-controlled boost.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TRACK FAMOUS
So which pipe would you say is better for licp? Porting the exhaust Mani on Monday, stock 02 housing, ya 400 is te minimum goal since it is a dd an then maybe later put another map for e-85, but the plan is only 91 for now unfortunately

The Muse LICP, ETS LP2 or MAP LICP are all an improvement over the Injen LICP. Your Injen UICP is fine though, the couplers that are supplied with the kit are sometimes an issue, they blow off occasionally, mostly were the UICP meets the TB, The issue is that the supplied couplers are too short. I would get new couplers for the UICP and get one of the above mentioned LICP'S
Old Feb 18, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Oh, my mistake. I did not know the the listed parts above were all that the OP was working with. Is the OP not going to replace anything? If the parts are what we are working with, then yes, the FP Red or EF3 would be my selections. I agree with your porting options and increasing flow potential. For the tuning, I would have to vote for the 3-port and ECU-controlled boost.
I was assuming since he said its a budget build he wants to replace as few parts as possible.

The other big factor about the boost control is the Full and Green will almost surely require a 3 port to reach into the 400WHP range on the stock block on 91 octane. They spool great which means an awesome torque hit but it needs to be controlled if you want to keep everything safe, this is one of the major reasons i lean towards the next step up in turbos on the stock block is they are actually a little safer/ easier to modulate the torque hit.

Quick Reply: need help choosing a turbo D':