Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Noise after timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
another video

Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the same problem right now on a new motor I just built, but I think I know what the problem is though. It looks like your belt is hitting the crank trigger plate (reluctor, thin piece of metal) whatever you want to call it. I believe the problem to be the timing tensioner arm itself. As the auto tensioner rides on the tensioner arm it forms a dimple in the bottom of the arm over time (mine has one @ 40k miles). If its not dead center its going to naturally move the belt in. Now I think these blue gates belts (same one I have) are a hair wider than the OEM belts so this amplifys the problem more. From the factory these belts sit very close to the crank trigger plate, once these two other problems are thrown into it, I believe it is causing the belt to walk into the crank trigger plate. I can actually turn my motor over slowly and see the belt hit the trigger plate and from your picture that looks like what's happening to you. I'll update as soon as my new arm comes in at the dealer.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Straightline
I'm having the same problem right now on a new motor I just built, but I think I know what the problem is though. It looks like your belt is hitting the crank trigger plate (reluctor, thin piece of metal) whatever you want to call it. I believe the problem to be the timing tensioner arm itself. As the auto tensioner rides on the tensioner arm it forms a dimple in the bottom of the arm over time (mine has one @ 40k miles). If its not dead center its going to naturally move the belt in. Now I think these blue gates belts (same one I have) are a hair wider than the OEM belts so this amplifys the problem more. From the factory these belts sit very close to the crank trigger plate, once these two other problems are thrown into it, I believe it is causing the belt to walk into the crank trigger plate. I can actually turn my motor over slowly and see the belt hit the trigger plate and from your picture that looks like what's happening to you. I'll update as soon as my new arm comes in at the dealer.
To add to this if you take a look at the tensioner pulley it guides the timing belt with the lip on the edge of it. If the arm isn't riding center on the auto tensioner like I said before its going to move the belt in the direction it wants to go and push the belt into the trigger. Hope this helps us both!!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
Former Sponsor

I can't see the video at work but alot of people get a noise when using the gates belt..How is the tension set after a full rotation and 15 minute wait?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by PeteyTurbo@KHC
I can't see the video at work but alot of people get a noise when using the gates belt..How is the tension set after a full rotation and 15 minute wait?
I can't quote for him and not trying to thread jack (just want to solve this problem for good) but for me having the exact same issue as him with the gates belt I can see it hitting the trigger plate and hear it as I manually crank the engine over by hand. The tension is set properly. Thats why I believe it to be the arm.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well sorry you are having the same issue but kinda happy I am not alone. I got a new plate today so going to see if that does anything here is a better video of the noise you can really hear it. This is about 10 mins of the car at idle so nice and warm
http://youtu.be/M-l6SHCfli4
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Bump
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

I gonna put $5 on saying its the crank pulley "harmonic balancer" sounds like it sliping inside itself....especially since it does it after warm up. Gl!
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Correnction. I removed it and still made the noise
Originally Posted by BoostINurI
I gonna put $5 on saying its the crank pulley "harmonic balancer" sounds like it sliping inside itself....especially since it does it after warm up. Gl!

Last edited by thedru13; Apr 5, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Well then its inside the engine....oil pump or balance shafts....sounds like crap for sure tho.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Noise is at the bottom for sure... Dont hear it as loud at the top. ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY.

Replacing this next

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
Well then its inside the engine....oil pump or balance shafts....sounds like crap for sure tho.

Last edited by thedru13; Apr 5, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:00 PM

Replace the timing belt tensioner arm. Mine is all good now, belt is on and no noise. I'm going to take some pictures of my findings and hopefully get a sticky, lots of people are having this issue, and replacing the arm will correct the geometry as the guide for the timing belt is on the tensioner pulley which is connected to the arm. Let me know if you try this!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well still struggling with this issue. Noise is still there. I am at a total loss
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Petey I think it hit on the head. The belt is inherently noisier but the tensioner doesnt appear to be right. If its too tight, voila, belt squeal.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you take off the serpentine belt and run it real quick can you still hear it?

Quick Reply: Noise after timing belt change