Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans

My stuff is currently at shep trans, and as i don't want to get deep into the details ill say this. The web price says one thing and i have been on the phone with this guy trevor dicuessing pricing since before my stuff was received i was promised one thing and now that the stuff is almost done. I am told something else and problems came up with the trans that were never brought up to me in any of our conversations with trevor. Long story short i spoke with him he says one thing and that he has notes that he wrote and i and the shop that the car is being worked on are saying something else. I work in Customer service and i must say im not happy with theirs right about now. I would like to know if anyone has had similar issues or did i seriously have bad luck.

Last edited by Evofiebre11; Apr 3, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

I just had my transfer case done by them, no issues. I also have a Shep trans sitting in the garage waiting to go in but I didn't get that directly through them. I've met John in person & spoke with Trevor a decent amount of times on the phone. Hopefully you get your problems sorted out.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by B.J.@ToxicFab
I just had my transfer case done by them, no issues. I also have a Shep trans sitting in the garage waiting to go in but I didn't get that directly through them. I've met John in person & spoke with Trevor a decent amount of times on the phone. Hopefully you get your problems sorted out.

Yea i hope so as well, im an easy going guy i didn't mind hearing that there were problems with the trans and tcase that need to be fixed and it need to cost extra. My main concern was what the shop was offered as a shop price now isn't being honored which was a huge difference in price.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had an excellent experience with Shep. They were pleasant, professional, completed the work on time and on budget. The transmission has been awesome, so I will definitely go with them for any other work I need (built TC etc).
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wait a sec. So the shop that is working on your car sent it to shep not you? Have you asked them if they ok'd something with shep? They always check on costs before working on things. Also, the reason they are regarded as the best is that they do not cut corners. If something is off they fix it. Much easier to deal with it now than have to pull your trans again for a 25$ part you didn't wanna replace.

That being said, my money is on your shop f'ing up. If he is saying that to you it is because you need to sort **** out with them. Shep won't get in the middle of things...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
Wait a sec. So the shop that is working on your car sent it to shep not you? Have you asked them if they ok'd something with shep? They always check on costs before working on things. Also, the reason they are regarded as the best is that they do not cut corners. If something is off they fix it. Much easier to deal with it now than have to pull your trans again for a 25$ part you didn't wanna replace.

That being said, my money is on your shop f'ing up. If he is saying that to you it is because you need to sort **** out with them. Shep won't get in the middle of things...

Car was being worked on at a shop in jeresy, while it was there i ordered the shipping boxes to my house to shorten down time as much as possible. Once i received i went to the shop packaged it up and shipped back via the shop. I called shep spoke with trevor at which point he gave me the priceing i mentioned that it was being done at so n so shop and he mentioned that shops get a certain % off so i called the shop right away. The shop owner called shep trans he said he spoke with them and they would square up with me when they knew exactly what was up inside the trans. After that the shop hasn't spoken to shep again ive been in communication with them. I guess ill have the shop call again but i don't think at this point it will make a difference
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

You didn't get too specific on what you wanted to have done and what they actually did. If you wanted the basic rebuild the web page price is if nothing is damaged. Then prices go up fast. Just a ring and pinion gear is 800-900 something like that. When I sent in my tcase it turned out to have been really damaged, with a broken ring/pinion and diff. I had no real options but to upgrade the diff or have same failure later down the road.

** I know a tcase is not a transmission but same applies. Prices if no damage that makes old parts unsafe to reuse**

Last edited by Murf; Apr 3, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

My trans is at shep right now too, But mine has issues with third and fourth gear. So I knew it would cost more than the listed price online. I was quoted about $100 for third, and 130 for fourth, maybe the other way around before they opened it up just in parts.

Final quote is around ~1100 so Im happy with that considering the prices online were about $850.

Hopefully it will be shipped by the end of the week! Im ready to get this car back on the road!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Murf
You didn't get too specific on what you wanted to have done and what they actually did. If you wanted the basic rebuild the web page price is if nothing is damaged. Then prices go up fast. Just a ring and pinion gear is 800-900 something like that. When I sent in my tcase it turned out to have been really damaged, with a broken ring/pinion and diff. I had no real options but to upgrade the diff or have same failure later down the road.

** I know a tcase is not a transmission but same applies. Prices if no damage that makes old parts unsafe to reuse**

I don't need to get that specific but everything is stage3 so that wasn't the case. As i said before i don't mind having to pay for broke parts inside the transmission or Tcase but i was told that because the shop was doing the work i would receive a certain % off the total amount. And trust me when the total is over 6k even 2% helps
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I had a good easy experience with my Tcase... spoke to John personally, answered all my questions, laid everything out.... no problems.

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Apr 3, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

I wasn't exactly sure what my damage was, but knew it was damaged. Found out that 1st, 4th, and 5th gear sets were bad so ended up being about an 1800 dollar rebuild, but I got the evo IX 1st and 5th out of the deal so I had the "ultimate" ratio which worked out. They called me and informed me of the condition of the trany and what it would cost before they did any further work on it. The tranny shifts great now and the turn around time was very reasonable IMO. So I am pleased with their work. I was a little concerned that some of the gearsets didnt seem bad, but I personally wouldn't want anything 'questionable' to go back in my tranny.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Well then I don't know what to tell ya, except call shep trans and ask about the 2%. Or the cause for the price diff. Trevor and Shep were both straight with me on what needed to be done and cost. Even gave me options to save a little.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dealt with shep via Australia got transfer case, diff, clutch, front/rear axles, gearbox and some other bits and pieces.
The transfer case I sent them had blown acd , out put shaft ring pinion blown too .
They were always upfront after inspecting the 2nd hand parts what damage was there.
Excellent communication and super cheap international airfreight back to me and internal freight of the parts I got 2nd hand off the forums here to them.
I rate their service and communication some of the best I have ever dealt with in any capacity in any industry got anything in my entire life.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Spoke with John shepard and we came to terms, thanks to anyone that gave useful input, and thanks to John for reaching out to me.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
had my trans done a month ago and my t case is there now. they answer the phone, explain things and dont feed a pile of bs. i havent ran the trans yet, but customer service and time wise, im happy.

Quick Reply: Has anyone had Issues with Shep Trans