Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

whats wrong with me evo???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats wrong with me evo???

hello,

i need some help, im new into this turbo thingy, anyhow just got a greddy profec b 2 boost controller installed on my car.

ok so here is the setting of the profec b : these are all in psi mode

set 70%
gain 5%
set gain 190
warning 210
warning L. 1%

ok so yeah im in cali with the crappy 91 octane and i wanna set it to 19psi and hold it there but couldnt reach to 19psi

anyhow something wrong though today when i was tuning my car on the freeway...it was like 11pm and yeah i rev it all the way to 6-7rpm the boost its like 15-16psi on gear 3 then shifted to gear 4 it was like 9psi and couldnt go anymore higher...same thing happen if I do to gear 2 to gear 3 then its like stuck in there could get anymore higher psi...

is that what its call a fuel cut? i mean yesterday when I just installed the profec and had the shop "pre-tune" my car and i was like hitting up to 25-26psi then falls to like 16-17psi and it was kinda scary for me and thats why I tried to tune it myself

so can anyone help me out and let me know whats wrong with my car or what should i do?

thanks for all the help
Old Jan 26, 2004, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i never liked the greddy unit, it might be the solinoid leeking boost.... I don't tihnk it holds very well but thats just my opinion. Your gain is fairly low but that won't limit your boost. What is the set gain for on the greddy unit i forgot the specs on this unit.

PS I wouldn't recommend running more then 16psi on 91 octane.. even that will generate knock... Boost the octane to round 94-95 if you wanna start running 19 to red... You will feel the difference and if your datalogging you'll see the difference bigtime
Old Jan 26, 2004, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Re: whats wrong with me evo???

Originally posted by rizalhoo
is that what its call a fuel cut?
Doesn't sound like it. Fuel cut due to overboost is a rather violent little thing which you would definitely notice. It feels a bit like you blew up the engine, except that it restarts a half second later.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 02:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jbrennen

Doesn't sound like it. Fuel cut due to overboost is a rather violent little thing which you would definitely notice. It feels a bit like you blew up the engine, except that it restarts a half second later.

blew up the engine? u kidding me!!!!! what do u mean that it restart a half secs later?

Last edited by rizalhoo; Jan 26, 2004 at 02:22 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by rizalhoo

blew up the engine? u kidding me!!!!! what do u mean that it restart a half secs later?
Basically, it usually happens during hard acceleration, and the engine just dies -- total fuel cut does that to you. Then, just when you've had enough time to start worrying about it, the fuel flows again, the power comes back, and very possibly, your "Service Engine Soon" light comes on... And depending on what gear you were in and how hard you were pulling, the sudden change from acceleration to deceleration may be enough to almost lift you out of the seat -- but of course, you're wearing your safety belt, so you stay firmly in place.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

oh ok, but the service engine soon didnt came on when that happened and as i recalled there were no acceleration at all its like it was stop by the boost controller...LOL

anyhow thanks bro

btw so in conclusion whats wrong with me car again?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

also is this healthy for my car if i still trying to get my profec b tuned by myself on the freeway? (thats why I never trust myself to do anything with electronic)

but i dont really happy paying a "great" shop to just tune this and charge me $150-200 i mean im just a student loves cars and stuff but dont really have lots of money