Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

could use some input about changing back to pumpgas only

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could use some input about changing back to pumpgas only

ok ill start off with where my car sat as of my last tune.

evo 8
Mods
Engine:
self built 2l block/weisco 9.1,Manley Ibeams
acl race bearings
balance shaft intact
stock unported head/stock valves
Gsc s2
Gsc beehives/retainers
Buschur ported IM/TB
Pte 1250cc injectors
SpecOps double pumper

Turbo/Intercooler:
Buschur tubular turbo kit
Buschur maf intake pipe
Tial 44mm wg 20psi springs
Syncronic bov(old style)
Perrin air filter
Sparktech NonCdi
CBRD custom billet gt35r .82ar
CBRD Intercooler
CBRD custom IC pipes
CBRD modified 3" megan exhaust
Hallman mbc @34psi
Aem meth kit 550cc jet on uicp 50/50 mix

Drivetrain:
Shep ultimate ratio 5speed
Shep stage3 transfer w/quaife
QM twin disc

Power on 93oct plus meth:

547hp 437tq on CBRDs mustang dyno

That covers where the car was at as of my last tune.

Now after that tune i was looking into my meth jetting and found that according to the jet calculators that i wasnt even close to the proper jetting. I should have been in the 1100cc jetting. so i bought a new jet and was planning on getting a retune but then my QM twin **** the bed on a drive home. So i buy a carbonetic tripple and get my shep trans rebuilt. This was last year before fall.

In winter my car developes a ticking that i have yet to find a cause for. while trying to fix my tick i find different things that needed to be addressed.

#1 my gsc springs are now required to use the spring seats that came with the kit. otherwise you shouldnt go over 25psi at 7k with them. so i install them.
#2 my syncronic bov has been running with port c (boost source) vta. this means it doesnt open enough when i shift to let all the boost out. while running a boost line to port C i also change my mbc boost line so both get a source from my uicp. instead of "T" from my intake manifold.
#3 my boost source for my guage,meth,and double pumper i had coming from my fpr line. this i never liked so i will now have only my boost guage "T" into the for with my double pumper "T" into the brake booster and meth will be removed.

That brings me to where im at now. Ive decided that im going to get rid of my meth kit (for sale section) and go pump 93 only. now in doing this i hope to still make at least 500hp and 400tq. so here is where i need input on if what parts im going to add/change will put me there.

#1 switching to Tephra v7 instead of current stock ecu
#2 going speed density with omni 4bar and fuel temp sensor(as ait)
#3 4" intake setup
#4 GM 3port bcs inline with my mbc

Any and all help is welcome. I will try to get my last dyno graph up to look at.

Last edited by evoxsi; Jul 7, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

my main reason for this thread is that im sure that by just removing the little meth that i was using on my tune im sure that i can still make over 500hp but idk if I will still be able to hit over 400tq on just pump. I realy like the kick of tq i get when full boost comes in and id hate to lose that. thats why I wanted to do some small changes like a mentioned above in order to get back some of what I will be losing.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

i guess switching off of meth is as populare as running meth?
Old Jul 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I would think it all depends on how aggressive your tune was before with the meth....that will dictate how much power you will lose.

I'm actually doing the same thing (I have a very similar set up to yours) tuning it on 93....I’m curious to see what it'll do.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxsi
my main reason for this thread is that im sure that by just removing the little meth that i was using on my tune im sure that i can still make over 500hp but idk if I will still be able to hit over 400tq on just pump. I realy like the kick of tq i get when full boost comes in and id hate to lose that. thats why I wanted to do some small changes like a mentioned above in order to get back some of what I will be losing.
I doubt you will have a problem breaking 400 tq on 93, and a lot safer than running meth.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

it would be nice if i can get over 30psi on 93, but it seems 30 is the max most run on pump. im also gonna try the velocity stack with filter on my homemade intake and make a headlight intake duct.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

ordered a bezel lastnight that i hope will be the right size for the headlight duct. if it is i will have an extra one.

has anyone tried using a velocity stack + filter setup on the 8/9s like the x's are?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I dont get why you would remove meth. there is no safety net running straight 93. very risky. buy a good aquamist kit would be my advice
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I dont get why you would remove meth. there is no safety net running straight 93. very risky. buy a good aquamist kit would be my advice
Im removing it because if something goes wrong with it and my wife is driving it, she will have no clue. its more of a less things to go wrong situation.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good solution-- don't let wife drive car, or tell her not to go WOT and you will be fine -- speed density will be great, that way if an IC hose pops off she can still drive it, etc.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by evoxsi
Im removing it because if something goes wrong with it and my wife is driving it, she will have no clue. its more of a less things to go wrong situation.
what about when she puts 87 octane in by mistake? how do you think car will fair then?

aquamist has stupid good fail safe and is like a Cadillac compared to the vw kit you are dumping
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the wife really going to be boosting the car around? Putting 87 in and driving around town isn't going to cause any harm unless you are beating on it.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

i doubt she will boost very much, she does have a heavy right foot though. once she boosts it for the first time she will either love it or never do it again haha.

ive taken my car on long trips twice this summer with my wife and children and i enjoy taking my car over our new explorer.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
what about when she puts 87 octane in by mistake? how do you think car will fair then?

aquamist has stupid good fail safe and is like a Cadillac compared to the vw kit you are dumping
im gonna get a 93 oct sticker for the gas door so that doesnt happen i hope. also i know the aquamist is a better setup i just think less stuff to go wrong at this point is better for me.

ive spent thousands in the past 3 years fixing things that have gone bad and i want to get rid of some stuff for peace of mind such as the meth kit, and the my maf since i already sucked in the honeycomb once.

ive spent so much money on my car and i havent been able to enjoy it because i fix one thing and something else goes a week later. i havent boosted my car since october 2011 because of my clutch issues and now needing a retune. ive been holding off on a retune because i want to get my setup to where i want it so i dont have to get 4 more tunes. once and done for awhile.

i have yet to get a single pass on the drag strip with it because my first ever try 3 years ago melted my act clutch and from there its been one problem after another. once i get this next tune i want to finaly get this thing down the strip and focus on driver mods.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

installing new speakers this week. should help me stay above 500hp

Quick Reply: could use some input about changing back to pumpgas only