Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Anybody have Alternator/Generator problems?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody have Alternator/Generator problems?

I'm having electrical problems, (my weak spot).
I had to get a jump yesterday.
When I got home, I checked my voltage (Blitz FATT), it was at 11.8 volts and dropped a point every 5-10 seconds). It normally reads 13.8 - 14.3.
I Started the car and unhooked the battery, it died.
I started it up and check the voltage at the alternator, 9-10volts.
I only have 7800miles. I don't have a sound system upgrade. I just have the battery relocated, (no problems with the battery the last 4000 miles.
I'm sure with the battery relocated, my waranty in void for the alternator.
Any body have any ideas or similar problems?
To pull the alternator is a *****.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well you could get that high dollar Ralliart alternator...
Old Feb 12, 2004, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Having your battery relocated could do somethings to the warranty, A relocated battery should be an easy fix back to stock.

Questions,, what size wire do you have going to the battery from its original place?

Does the battery have fuses on both ends of the connecting positive wire?

How is the Battery Grounded in the rear?

Are you Using an aftermarket battery?

How good is the connection at the stock positive battery connector and the wire going to the new battery location in the back?

What is going on with the ground wire that used to be connected upfront, does that lead anywhere else... (like back to the alternator in anyway?)

Once those are answered we can start picking it apart. The Best thing to do is put the battery back up front and take it to the dealer to have it warrantied. You should not have to pay for this if it was your mistake or not, the dealer does not have to know!
Old Feb 12, 2004, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

The only problem with putting back to stock is that I cut the stock battery box to mount the distribution block and fuse (for the alternator (which is good)).

I checked everything I know to check.
I grounded the relocated battery to the floor under the seat and to the original stock battery ground point. I also have my DIY hyper ground set-up. Both fenders, rear firewall, engine block, tranny, and intake are all grounded.
I used 4G wire for all connections.

The thing that makes me think it's the alternator is that when I disconected the alternator wire and checked the output at the alternator it was only 9-10 volts.

The battery is good and so are the connections.

I guess I could buy a new battery tray and re install the stock battery to get it waranteed?