Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

All I want is BANG BANG BANG!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I want is BANG BANG BANG!

Ok... I know the Evo makes bangs, clunks, clanks, rattles, vibrations... etc..etc. I ignore most of the noises this car makes. This morning I was driving on the highway, when suddenly the car made a very loud Bang. Best way to describe it would be if someone threw a 10 pound weight on the roof of the car. I hadn't changed gears, or speed, I was cruising at about 70 mph. I don't really know where the sound came from, but my roof looked ok.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't tell me to take it to the friggin dealer. All they ever do is joy ride in yer car then tell you they couldn't recreate the problem... no help there.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Re: All I want is BANG BANG BANG!

Originally posted by Ultor
Ok... I know the Evo makes bangs, clunks, clanks, rattles, vibrations... etc..etc. I ignore most of the noises this car makes. This morning I was driving on the highway, when suddenly the car made a very loud Bang. Best way to describe it would be if someone threw a 10 pound weight on the roof of the car. I hadn't changed gears, or speed, I was cruising at about 70 mph. I don't really know where the sound came from, but my roof looked ok.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't tell me to take it to the friggin dealer. All they ever do is joy ride in yer car then tell you they couldn't recreate the problem... no help there.
You might have hit the bump stops on the suspention?

My friend was driving my evo and same thing big bang. Fleet it was the roof but just hit a nice pot hole.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

I didn't see or feel any pothole =/

The car runs and drives just fine though.... Still all these random (and sometimes disturbing) noises are getting very tiresome.

I am one of those people who obsess and worry on a constant basis... so the Evo is driving me crazy sometimes
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Ultor
I didn't see or feel any pothole =/

The car runs and drives just fine though.... Still all these random (and sometimes disturbing) noises are getting very tiresome.

I am one of those people who obsess and worry on a constant basis... so the Evo is driving me crazy sometimes
You think yours does weird crap, you should ride in mine

My car shakes so hard at idle I can't see out the rear view mirror!!!! But it's all normal, according to mitsu
Old Feb 18, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bluevilevo8

You think yours does weird crap, you should ride in mine

My car shakes so hard at idle I can't see out the rear view mirror!!!! But it's all normal, according to mitsu
Oh it is the motor mounts on this sucker are stiff!! I switch to STI mount on my WRX and boy you can feel the diffrance. WRX stock motor mounts were jell filled and the STI's were hard rubber like the EVO. Gives less flex and you do get more power to the ground.

ERic
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Did you get dive bombed by a bird? Did the sound really seem like it was coming fromt he roof?

SC~
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Did you get dive bombed by a bird? SC~
haha.
guess it could happen... sti's swallow birds, maybe evo's just get hit by them
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:13 AM
Evolving Member

that noise could have been one of your front springs slamming back into its perch.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Did you get dive bombed by a bird? Did the sound really seem like it was coming fromt he roof?

SC~
That what I thought at first, but my GF heard different.

I really don't know where it came from, but the roof looked fine. Honestly it was more like a general BANG! and I think I just assumed it came from the roof.

that noise could have been one of your front springs slamming back into its perch.
Could be... wouldn't I feel that though? The car made no vibration or anykind of motion.. nothing but the sound.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

I can relate to this. I posted a couple of times of clunks and what sounded like a Coffee Can dragging under my car. And then some clunking when i took a turn. I just ignore it LOL. IF it breaks back to dealer where i will get the run around. By time I am done talking with them I dont even know what I came in there for LOLOL
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

I vote for stuck clutch discs in the rear LSD releasing suddenly. I used to have a truck that would bang like that. Eventually it would only power the left wheel - speed up=turn right, slow down=turn left.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

What you heard was the rear diff. When you shift to quickly it happens
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tpm17
What you heard was the rear diff. When you shift to quickly it happens
I hadn't changed gears, or speed, I was cruising at about 70 mph.

I had been riding in 5th for about 30 minutes when it happend
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:28 PM

i get that noise too and thought it was from the rear diffs. but what exactly happens when it makes that sound? im assuming it's all normal, just like to know what the diff is doing
Old Feb 18, 2004, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Heh, i had a similiar sound not to long ago. Crusing down the higway near a park and BAM! I was like did someone throw a rock at my car. It turned out to be just a monster bird dropping on the side..

Quick Reply: All I want is BANG BANG BANG!