Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

oil in cyl 3???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oil in cyl 3???

So i recently built an evo. It was a rebuilt 2.0 to a 2.3L, wiseco pistons, manlet tt rods, ported head and HKS 272 cams. I had the head decked and valve seals replaced and valves lapped. bored the block for 85.5 pistons.

After a month, the car started burning oil in cyl 3. I pulled the motor and I replaced the piston rings, valve seals and relapped the valves. Went to get a retune and injector 1 failed causing it to flood like crazy. Replaced the injectors and the car made 550whp on pump. He picked up the car and drove it home. A day later after normal driving he said it was a quart low. He pulled the plugs and cyl 3 is caked in oil. like a puddle on top of the piston. Thats too much for rings to be the culprit.

Is it even possible for the valve guides to cause this problem? I would think new valve seals would take care of the problem if that was it. It doesnt add up. Im asking for ideas on what to even look for at this point since im stumped. How can that much oil get through the guides and past the seals just driving around?

Thanks,
-Joe
Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be a number of things from cracked block, head or even valve cover gaskets.
The following users liked this post:
evolve_VIII (Apr 7, 2016)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rmr298
It could be a number of things from cracked block, head or even valve cover gaskets.
I thought about a cracked head. There is no oil galley directly next to the cylinder in the block. I dont know what would cause it to crack since it never overheated or anything. Theres no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil so i would just about rule out a block. its not a valve cover gasket since there is no oil in the spark plug well.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I seems you have touched all the other bases. Rope trick the valves in cylinder #3 and remove the springs and seals. Check for play by shaking the valve stems.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 05:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I seems you have touched all the other bases. Rope trick the valves in cylinder #3 and remove the springs and seals. Check for play by shaking the valve stems.
X2 I would also measure it for thickness and straightness if you decide to take it apart. By the way try to do a compression test and a leak down test. Did you checked the pistons for cracks and or crack rings?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
If you pull it apart again, take the head to machine shop or cylinder head rebuild facility and have them check the head for cracked valve guids. If it's not rings, gasket, seals or cracked head/block then that's the next thing to check. Also one of the valve stem seals could have gotten damaged during install and got worse as the car was driven.