Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Please help - intermittent power loss when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help - intermittent power loss when warmed up

I'll try to keep this concise...just wondering if anyone had experienced this before or had an idea of what might be causing it.

Filled up with E85 on Friday. I did some cruising around without any issues whatsoever (haven't had a problem with the car since I bought it 2 months ago...everything has been perfect until this point), and was going to take a road trip today so I topped off at the station here. Drove about 10 miles when all of a sudden I felt the car lose power. I was not in boost or anything...just cruising along at 75mph in 5th. The electrical was fine, but there was no power to the engine. It kicked back in, then went back out.

I limped it home...it was getting worse the whole time, but still the same issue. Power one second, no power the next.

Checked fuel pump - working/sounding fine. Ports all looked OK. Filter a little dirty, but nothing alarming. Smelled a bit like regular, so we tested it...very low ethanol content (65%). Figuring bad gas...drained the tank, filled with 4 gallons of fresh 93, swapped to the 93 octane tune and had the same issue.

Checked injectors...looked clean visually. Checked for boost leaks...did not hear or see any. No CEL's. Car is tuned on speed density, and I don't know if certain CELs are ignored because of that or not...I bought the car that way.

Here's the weird thing...the car works perfectly fine during the warm-up cycle. It'll idle normally, it'll rev normally, it won't cut out or anything. Once the warm-up cycle is over the problems start.

Here is a short video of the issue. Important to note - this was with me holding the pedal in a steady position.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking it may be a sensor since it works fine during the warm-up, but not sure which sensor would cause that issue or if it is an entirely different problem.

Thanks!

Last edited by AutoEuphoria; Apr 16, 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 02:05 AM

I have the exact same problem with you. Anyone has any ideas what has went wrong ?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

Look at your MAP sensor...believe that was my issue. Replaced that 2 days ago and it's been working normally since
Old Apr 23, 2016, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
map sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 07:05 AM

Sorry for being a noob but how could I tell if MAP/Crank/Cam sensors went wrong ? I don't have any logging cable to check at all.

Thank you for your help
Old Apr 23, 2016, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
A number of sensors implausibility could force the engine to shut off for safety.... TPS is one of them, and if crank/cam sync is lost may be another.
Anyway you can repeat this maneuver with data?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 08:11 PM

Hi detroit_pistins,

It's an intermiment issue and I could not replicate it at all.

Do you know how could I check the MAP/Crank/Cam sensors by any chance ? Can the tuner check it on his dyno as well ?

Thank you for your help