Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

EVO 9 Loud Ticking (Another...)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2018, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO 9 Loud Ticking (Another...)

So I bought a 06 Evo 9 MR that has a loud ticking sound coming from the oil cap area. When the car is running and you hold your hand on the valve cover, if feels like something almost smacking the valve cover.

The car only has a few minor upgrades.
- Crowder Cams
- Vishnu Cam Gears
- Buschur Racing Intercooler
- Full Apexi Exhaust
- 5 Speed Conversion

As far as I know everything else is stock. I got a extremely good deal on the car due to the ticking and couldn't pass up. The owner said he was driving and it suddenly started ticking so he pulled over and parked it since. I've only started it a few times for a few seconds to hear the sound. When I checked the head out everything seems fine. Everything is tightened to spec and no signs of anything major. No metal shavings in the oil but there is some specs here and there laying on the bottom of the head. I would post a video to hear the noise exactly but don't want to mess anything else up.

The ticking is pretty noticeable, but it's not a knocking sound. It does it at start up and kinda gets faster when you Rev the car. You can tell it's coming from the head, almost sounds like it's right behind it. I've seen many different opinions on what it could be and my original assessment was a dirty lifter. But before I decide to throw money at it I want to get a better opinion on what it might be exactly.

If needed I can make a short video tomorrow showing the noise, but prefer not too if I can help it lol.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Video would def help. I ended up battling a ticking sound that sort of fooled me into thinking it was a short block issue. Replaced the shortblock, and the sound was still there.

Replaced the cams, and the ticking sound was drastically reduced.