Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost Wont Come On Initially But Then Stays Strong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2017, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Boost Wont Come On Initially But Then Stays Strong

I have a strange problem with my Evo. When I first start it up and drive it for a while (this while can range from five minutes to half an hour) it wont make consistent boost under wide open throttle. Some times the car wont even make over 11 psi, other times 17ish psi is where it gets stuck. Then just randomly I'll go WOT again and the car will make full boost (about 25 psi) and after that it's fine for the rest of the drive. It'll make full and consistent boost every time after it hits that max boost once. It's a very unsettling and annoying issue as I don't know if I'll have the power until it's happened at least the once.

Relevant mod list:
Forge wastegate actuator that is basically brand new (have replaced with a stock one to test and it still does it) with preload set to 14.7 psi, the stock Evo 4 boost
Evo IX turbo with less than 10k KMs on it
AEM truboost EBC

I have checked for boost leaks. The system holds pressure at 30 psi for about 40 seconds with a noticeable leak through the throttle body seals. Everything else is fine. T-bolt clamps are great in that regard.

Just to rehash and simplify; order of events of my problem:
Start car
Drive for a bit to let it warm up
Go WOT, car wont make anywhere near target boost, and sometimes well under wastegate spring pressure
Continue to try out of frustration
Eventually on a random WOT pull the car will start working properly and hit target psi of about 25
After it hits the target psi once it will always make target boost every single attempt after it until I go to drive the car again

Doesn't seem to matter if the motor is hot or cold.
Thought it was possibly a wastegate actuator issue and an EBC issue. I don't see how it could be either though, as if it was a boost controller issue it would get stuck at wastegate pressure, not 5 psi below it.

If there is any info you feel I am missing, or if something is explained poorly, please ask me to reiterate and I'll try to explain it best.

Thanks for any potential help!
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Subsitute the BOV.

Have you ruled out it being a Ecu control?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Subsitute the BOV.

Have you ruled out it being a Ecu control?
+1

try removing the bov and shut that hole.
if the issue is solved, its ur bov.
ignore the turbo flutter sound when trying this or else u'll have the urge to leave it that way
Old Aug 1, 2017, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to agree after rereading your post with checking the bov ^^
Old Aug 1, 2017, 08:20 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Is your car tuned to limit boost until you are up to operating temp?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferp
I have a strange problem with my Evo. When I first start it up and drive it for a while (this while can range from five minutes to half an hour) it wont make consistent boost under wide open throttle. Some times the car wont even make over 11 psi, other times 17ish psi is where it gets stuck. Then just randomly I'll go WOT again and the car will make full boost (about 25 psi) and after that it's fine for the rest of the drive. It'll make full and consistent boost every time after it hits that max boost once. It's a very unsettling and annoying issue as I don't know if I'll have the power until it's happened at least the once.

Relevant mod list:
Forge wastegate actuator that is basically brand new (have replaced with a stock one to test and it still does it) with preload set to 14.7 psi, the stock Evo 4 boost
Evo IX turbo with less than 10k KMs on it
AEM truboost EBC

I have checked for boost leaks. The system holds pressure at 30 psi for about 40 seconds with a noticeable leak through the throttle body seals. Everything else is fine. T-bolt clamps are great in that regard.

Just to rehash and simplify; order of events of my problem:
Start car
Drive for a bit to let it warm up
Go WOT, car wont make anywhere near target boost, and sometimes well under wastegate spring pressure
Continue to try out of frustration
Eventually on a random WOT pull the car will start working properly and hit target psi of about 25
After it hits the target psi once it will always make target boost every single attempt after it until I go to drive the car again

Doesn't seem to matter if the motor is hot or cold.
Thought it was possibly a wastegate actuator issue and an EBC issue. I don't see how it could be either though, as if it was a boost controller issue it would get stuck at wastegate pressure, not 5 psi below it.

If there is any info you feel I am missing, or if something is explained poorly, please ask me to reiterate and I'll try to explain it best.

Thanks for any potential help!
Hey man did you ever figure out your boost problem? Im having the same issue and can't figure it out, all th threads I've seen never report back.