Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My build advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2017, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My build advice

Hello this is my first post and basically looking for some advice from you
I am doing a build on my evo 8 and looking for a goal of
800+hp I’ve just purchased all the bottom end bits
Manley turbo tuffs, 1400hds standard sizes and everything else
for the bottom end so that’s sorted and I know the crank
is good for fairly high power and I’m not racing it.
Ive also just purchased a gt42r turbo kit second hand from a chap in the states
with custom made evil engineering twin scroll manifold with tial
44mm wastegates etc. From reading bits and pieces I’m going to
go with gsc s3’s I think, and also from what I’ve learnt
is that the standard head is very good and high hp is achievable
without porting with enough boost! I just need to know what else you guys think parts wise??
Stock or an aem ecu of some sort? What inlet mani is good for those figures and turbo set up? F1? Or Magnus
etc? I’m going to run a race fuel mix of pump fuel and a very good additive plus a snow performance stage 3
water meth kit so I can run decent timing! Any advice from anyone would be great as me and my
dad are doing this build and need a parts list really. Regards
Old Oct 27, 2017, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
There are plenty of build threads on evom with proven results. Compare a few builds. Maybe PM the owners and ask them specific questions about their builds (like if they wish they had done anything differently). Here is a good starting place https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ronic-e74.html
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Anything under 900wheel dynojet u don't need porting or crazy drag manifolds like mentioned, u can achieve 800 plus with 2.5 piping size, unported head, stock intake, t3 turbo, etc with a 6266 aside from ur s3s dual 450 wallys.

Don't make mistake of running big juice high end manifolds that are meant for top end strip setups, or big T4 twin scrolls, that will hurt ur powerband, no need.

Old Oct 30, 2017, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
You're turbo selection is extremely overkill IMO for 800whp. There are better options that will get you to that mark without breaking a sweat and will out spool that GT42. My other advise is ditch the water/meth injection as it is not reliable and if you are already going to use race gas of some sort, then it isn't needed.

As far as ECU, that would be your tuner's preference. Stock ECU has done your goals on several occasions and one of the best E-tuners on this board *TSCompUSA* has gotten there with customer's cars quite a few times as a bunch of other great tuners have as well. Look up his posts in the dyno sections.

Make sure your fuel system is set up properly. At least double pumper w/450pumps, 2150 injectors, etc.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:17 AM

In a perfect world I’d love to break the 1000hp mark which can be done I know! Is it just a bit safer to go with an aftermarket ecu???? That gt42r came at a decent price so I grabbed it, surely is no worse than a fp super 99 would be??? The additive I would use would turn vpower 98 to about 108-110 octane, would this be enough to achieve that power?? That’s why I thought about water meth and I’ve heard they are good? As for furling I was going to have my 255 wally feeding a surge tank with twin aem 380 pumps feeding the motor and id2000’s or possibly less would do as I’m not using e85 and ethanol needs massive injectors?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I am amazed that anyone is even thinking of pushing 800hp out of a motor a little bigger then a motor bike motor, all that HP pushing a car through a TC. The build in the gearbox, clutch and TC just to hold it will be a few bucks and all could go bang at anytime at full boost. I'd love to see this thing on youtube. By the way wouldn't it be better to build it for 500hp and enjoy it for a lot longer? or are we talking a trailered drag car setup?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The 42r is an antique. You would be much better served by one of the newer offerings.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
My build is over 800hp with a $600 turbo. T4 twin scroll is the best you can do when targeting over 800hp. I spooled 25psi by 5500 rpm with this junka$$ turbo. No E85 then meth injection is a must do unless you can get 114 or 116 octane race fuel. No need for dual 450's on straight gas with 2000cc injectors you'll be good to 950hp with a standard double pumper.

Here's my build

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...6-evo-8-a.html
Old Oct 31, 2017, 04:50 AM

Cheers for that guys! But what about my Garrett gt42r then, it’s a decent turbo right??
Its got a quick spool valve on it? The car it came off was running over 1000hp
please let me know as I’m interested
Old Oct 31, 2017, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

You can't use a quick spool valve with a twinscroll manifold. There's a couple 42r variants but I'm assuming it's the 76mm inducer, I believe that's the straight up 42r. What a/r are you running with the twin scroll? That's definitely a 1000+hp turbo only good for serious drag racing. It's way overkill for 800hp. Putting that turbo on an evo with stock transmission and transfer case is a bomb. Also Your gonna need CDI ignition. Seems too big for your goals.

GT4202r would be the one capable of 1000hp

Last edited by 2winscroll; Oct 31, 2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by 2winscroll
You can't use a quick spool valve with a twinscroll manifold. There's a couple 42r variants but I'm assuming it's the 76mm inducer, I believe that's the straight up 42r. What a/r are you running with the twin scroll? That's definitely a 1000+hp turbo only good for serious drag racing. It's way overkill for 800hp. Putting that turbo on an evo with stock transmission and transfer case is a bomb. Also Your gonna need CDI ignition. Seems too big for your goals.

GT4202r would be the one capable of 1000hp
OK SO THIS IS HOW IT WAS ADVERTISED WHEN I BOUGHT IT, maybe it’s not a twinscroll but it has a sound performance quickspool valve on it and I just messaged the guy I got it from and he said it wasn’t too bad at spooling with this on. What do you think 2winscroll??Evolution 8 or 9 IIIV IX 4g63 CT9A EVO 2003 2004 2005 2006 Turbocharger Boost
- Garrett GT42R ball bearing turbo
- Custom Evil Engineering tubular 304L stainless steel exhaust manifold
- Dual TiAL 44mm wastegates with dump tubes
- Custom 4" intake with K&N filter
- Sound Performance quick spool valve
- Oil drain and water hoses
- Lower intercooler pipe and part of an upper intercooler pipe
- 4" o2 housing
- 4 direct port exhaust gas temperature ports in exhaust manifold
- Huge AEM air filter

Very low mileage insane turbo setup here. Car made well over 1000hp. This kit is mostly complete, will need some minor odds and ends. Please check out my feedback on Ebay.

Local pickup welcome.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

If the price is right I say go for it. Just remember it's gonna need a lot of rpm before it builds boost. Totally a drag race setup that's going to require differential and t-case upgrades. That kind of power usually needs the block to be filled to hold up for any amount of time. It's a full blown race setup 4 sure. Quick spool I have no experience with but have heard good things. Must be a GT4202r because the GT4294 won't get you to 1000hp.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 03:06 PM

If the price is right I say go for it. Just remember it's gonna need a lot of rpm before it builds boost. Totally a drag race setup that's going to require differential and t-case upgrades. That kind of power usually needs the block to be filled to hold up for any amount of time. It's a full blown race setup 4 sure. Quick spool I have no experience with but have heard good things. Must be a GT4202r because the GT4294 won't get you to 1000hp.
I have got it already, I purchased it and the chap had it as a street car and he said it
was quite good with the quick spool valve! The turbo doesn’t have to run that much though
does it, it can surely be set to run High 800’s-900hp 2winscrool??
Old Oct 31, 2017, 03:09 PM

I have already purchased it, and have it now. The chap had it as a street car and he said with the
quick spool valve that it was quite good! The turbo can surely be set to run at High 800’s-900hp can’t it 2winscroll?? It doesn’t need to be at it’s full capacity??
Old Oct 31, 2017, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Oh yea you can run it at whatever boost you want but it will be a little more laggy than a turbo optimized for that horsepower. You always have the option to turn it up later.

Quick Reply: My build advice