Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Car still doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car still doesn't start

So I'm having a major with my car not starting right now. At first I was thinking it was a fuel issue and have a thread on here talking about all the symptoms that were leading me to think that.

Here is a link to the thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l-problem.html

Based on my most recent issues I'm not sure where the problem is now. So basically my car is not starting.....well at least right now it doesn't but tomorrow morning I'm sure it will.

Ok so Friday after the car died on me I got it started after about 30 mins and adding about a gallon of gas (my other thread explains why I did this). I got home and decided to swap out the iridium plugs I installed a few months ago to an extra set of NGK BPR7ES plugs that originally came with the car (originally gapped to .25). Car started fine and I drove the car all weekend. Then on Sunday evening while driving around I decided to go WOT just to get the juices flowing in the motor. It picked up boost and then a few seconds later it backfired hard and then started having this stuttering sound (kind of like what a WRX sounds like) I was able to drive home and I immediately swapped the iridium plugs back in. Well the car didn't start. It just cranked over and you can hear it wanting to turn over but nothing. After swapping the COP kit out for the stock coils I tried again but still nothing. After about an hour I decided to go back to the setup I was running all weekend which was the COP kit with the older NGK BPR7ES plugs. Car still didn't start. I mean I literally had the car running with that setup an hour earlier. I told my buddy that I bet the car would start in the morning. Well not to my surprise, it started right up this morning. It still had the sputtering sound but it started. I even drove it to my kids school and back. So I decided to get fresh NGK BPR7ES plugs and gapped them to .24 per a thread I read on here. Well guess what car didn't start. I checked the compression and all cylinders are at 170psi. I'm totally lost and frustrated with this car right now. I've swapped the starter, fuel pump, fuel rail, plugs, I've done a compression test, etc, etc. I'm fresh out of ideas and don't know what the problem is. I really need some help. I'm going to try to start in the morning and will update the thread once it starts (or doesn't).

I'm going to be uploading a video of me attempting to start the car in hopes that someone will be clued into the problem.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!!!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:17 AM

Here's the video of me attempting to start up. As you can hear it's cranking and almost sounds like it wants to start but just can't.

Old Oct 24, 2017, 01:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Check that your cam sensor is working.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
You need to stop throwing parts at it. It needs to be diagnosed. If your not capable. Find a evo shop with rep.

You need to do fuel pressure test and spark test to start.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 01:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The part where it died going down the road is a big deal. Not starting is one thing. Already running and shutting off adds to it.

It sounds like The fuel pump is either shutting off or not able to get enough pressure out. If you don’t have the tools to check fuel pressure, take it to someone who does. If you have any place local you trust to work on cars, they should be able to diagnose this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Is you IACV working properly? Cam/crank sensor, and trigger plate might be other avenues to look at as well.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
did the car run perfect for some time before this?
if so i would say IACV is acting up.

if not, sounds like tune...
it trying to start sounds like fouled plugs.
If you give it some throttle will it start and then run real ruff?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hutch959
did the car run perfect for some time before this?
if so i would say IACV is acting up.

if not, sounds like tune...
it trying to start sounds like fouled plugs.
If you give it some throttle will it start and then run real ruff?

The car ran fine but has had this starting issue for awhile now. It wasn't until recently that the car has been running sluggish. Like it doesn't have the umph to get going.

I did get it started however. Once again I feel like I'm chasing the problem. This time all I did was swap out one of the fuel pump relays under the dash. The car started and I drove around the block a few times. I turned the car off and attempted to turn on and once again nothing. A few hours later it started back up. Once again feel like I'm chasing something because I'm not quite sure if its a relay since it's started and not started with the same "good" ones.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 01:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
swap back the relays and see. work backwards and see if u find out the cause
Old Nov 1, 2017, 03:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
You need a fuel pressure gauge.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:50 AM
Rom
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Crank and cam angle sensors are notorious for starting issues. My Porsche had a similar issue - cold would start up no problem. Once the engine was warm it would never start (and sometimes died randomly too). Cool down, and again, starts right up. The hall sensor basically wasn't detecting the pulses when the engine was hot, but worked fine when the engine was cold.

Watching fuel with pressure gauge, and checking for spark, are two other things you can do.. Though I'd bet it was one of the crank or cam angle sensors (assuming your electrical system for spark delivery is fine).

Thanks!

S.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Check for codes. I'm thinking it's a cam or crank sensor issue. A fuel pump won't work and then not and then work again. The fact you said it died while driving makes me think a sensor.