Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX Head refresh/belts/WP/Exedy twin disk HD/Head Hot tank

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Evo IX Head refresh/belts/WP/Exedy twin disk HD/Head Hot tank

Hey guys, just wanted to share and get feedback from anybody who has been through this and understands.

My car just hit 120k miles and my Exedy Stage 2 Clutch started slipping.... So I'm going to be upgrading to an Exedy Twin Disk HD(whole kit new).. but while I'm in there I'm going to be performing a full timing service. Also all new belts and pullies , axle seals, rear main seal (which has had light residual oil for quite some time ) getting the head hot tanked... valves lapped and cleaned, new valve seals, imperfections cleaned/machined, new head gasket, clutch fork stop, ACT Monoloc, new TOB ect...

Between this service and the Blouch Dominator 2.0 XTR installed a little over 6 months ago... I look forward to enjoying her again.

On the technical side... do any of you guys who are into tuning or have a shop think that after refreshing the head and upgrading the clutch that it might be worth re-tuning? I got tuned 6 months ago but now with the new clutch... flywheel... hopefully better compression...?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I had it tuned after my turbo blew (my old bbk full- 7 year old journal bearing failed) I then upgraded to a full ball bearing turbo the blouch dominator 2.0xtr..but at the time we did a compression test which only yielded 130's and high 120's across all 4... (this is when I got tuned 6 month ago w the compression like this) do you feel with the current head work being performed by a reputable shop (refreshing/hot tank) that I will yield better compression and also therefore possibly need a re-tune? Also new exedy twin and new flywheel?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're in NJ so you should definitely go to Head Games. Dave is doing the same thing to my head eight now.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The only reason for a tune I see is if you don't like the one you have now.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
After the head work a tune should probably be done since the VE of the motor and AFR's would change
Old Jan 7, 2018, 01:46 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 575 Likes on 431 Posts
Did you do a leakdown test to make sure it wasn't the rings causing the low compression?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
strictly performance is pretty good for the head work.