Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

VRSF Muse Evo 8/9 Cat back Install/Review Pics!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VRSF Muse Evo 8/9 Cat back Install/Review Pics!!

Its been a while since I have been on the threads and what better way then to do this exhaust review for VRSF. I was looking for an affordable option to replace my loud AF eBay exhuast I have had on the car for a few years now. I have driven the car from NM to GA recently and it was drone city for hours and hours.😞 Saw this exhaust was all Vband and under $300 ($279.99)with free shipping and was like I have to give it a shot. Since I already use the VRSF 3" intercooler and Muse Stock location upper intercooler pipe on my Evo 9 with a SS JB FP Red. It has a resonator so I knew it would tone down drone problem for sure. Ordered on a Sunday the the box was at my door Thursday night.

Boxing and Packaging

Contents. Everything you need to install this kit on any downpipe setup. Also comes with Test pipe too. Which I didn't use because my DC downpipe is a cat delete. But will when I switch to the STM one piece for the FP SS housings!

Old eBay kit I bought and had bent at a muffler shop since the fitment was trash out the box.

Pretty straight foward for install if you have ever done work on your own car. Got the car on four jackstnads and worked from my back. I removed the old kit and mocked this new VRSF Muse Motorsports kit up. Only thing I added myself was my favorite brand of exhaust gasket (Remflex) to the adaptor from 2 bolt to 3" VBand section. The supplied gasket will work just fine but I had a new Remflex in my tool box. The flanges on the piping are all heavy duty and the welds look great compared to the old thin crap eBay setup. I installed everything and only tightened it all enough to get lined up. Used anitsieze on the 2 bolts and rear 02 sensor. Once it was all up in place with the help of my kids play wash bucket. I moved onto final alignment.

The 3" VBands this setup uses can be tricky if you havent used them before so you just gotta use your hands and some elbow grease and get everything lines up.

Once everything seemed good I started to tighten things up using a 13mm deep socket for the Vband clamps and a 14mm on the nuts, 17mm on the 2 bolts for the adpator and 16mm on the bolt for the muffler hanger/bracket. I went back and fourth a few times to get the finaly alignment and still might see about adjusting the muffler position after driving the car around a few times. But it might be as good as I can get it since I modified my downpipe for the FP Red SS turbo housing.

I did have to remove the little heatshield from the driveshaft bracket. It cleared just fine but did rub after a 20 min trip to town and vibrations from all the poly bushings on the car. Pretty much full poly on the whole car.

Only defect I saw was this mark on the muffler tip.

Overall impression and final thoughts. This kit fits great, the sound is mild and not annoying loud. Super affordable for the quality and a full 3" VBand setup. The only cons where the small defect mark and the muffler hanger/bracket is a little larger then the canister. But again I am super happy with the fitment, sound, and overall quality for the money. If your looking to keep some coin in the bank and get some better sound and flow this exhuast is great for that. Sure you can spend triple the money and get a Ti setup fron other vendors but like I said for the money this kit is legit. Be sure to hit up VRSF and Tiago will get you hooked up he offers a 5% military discount as well.

Last edited by Roberti22; Sep 4, 2018 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
FenixTX717 (Feb 26, 2020)
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Nice review! Any chance of posting a couple of sound clips?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackline
Nice review! Any chance of posting a couple of sound clips?
I am working on it. My phone records in MP4 so I'm looking into how to get it to work. I'll see if I can post one on the VRSF facebook page.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 04:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!
Old Sep 5, 2018, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I just discovered what my garage is lacking that would make it perfect - a sofa.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I just discovered what my garage is lacking that would make it perfect - a sofa.
We where trying to sell them but the person flaked.....wife wants her van inside the garage.

Last edited by Roberti22; Oct 14, 2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome job on the review and install man. It's threads like these we are missing on EvoM...brings me back to the good old days. VRSF stuff is awesome for the money. I run their intercooler and 02 dump currently. The intercooler I LOVE. The 02 housing can use a little bit of work. Haha
Old Oct 2, 2018, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
vrsf is great for the money

make an affordable front facing kit tiago or titanium exhaust.....make evos great again
Old Oct 2, 2018, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
How tight is the fit around the resonator? I've been thinking about welding one onto my exhaust in a similar location but am concerned about fitment.
Old May 13, 2019, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The muffler appears to hang low and stick out from the bumper. Or is it the picture angle?
Old May 14, 2019, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shadow1
The muffler appears to hang low and stick out from the bumper. Or is it the picture angle?
It does sit a tad low, but is also part of the angle too I think it could be adjusted with the band clamp it comes with by slightly modifying it. As far as sticking maybe slighlty like a 1/2 inch or something. When you look straight on at it from the rear it looks really good.
Old May 14, 2019, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Any drone?
Old May 15, 2019, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shadow1
Any drone?
Not bad. Maybe a little. Much better than my straight piped ebay exhaust I had before it would make my head ring on 1 hour plus drives.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
any sounds clips?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Great write up! If I ever needed a new "cheaper" exhaust this is probably what I'd go with.