Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What to look for when buying a used motor?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to look for when buying a used motor?

Hello EvoM. I've owned my Evo for 4 years now but never posted in this forum but I need help and advice.

This last summer my Evo spun a rod bearing. I caught it immediately and shut the car off (still ran fine right before I just it off it was just a bit noisy.) I drained the oil and found the gold.

So since then I have been saving to build the car the way I wanted to. I really want to go with a bigger displacement but it seems like everyone can tell me a reason why I shouldn't go with either of the options I was considering (2.3 stroker and 2.4 long rod).

While browsing facebook today I found someone selling a built 2.0 long block with JC pistons and H beam rods, 272 cams, FIC 1200 injectors, aswell as a BB FP black with a hood dump and an fp tubular manifold and he offered it to me for 6K+shipping which seems like a fantastic deal. I have a couple concerns with this however, he sent me videos of it running in which it was launched about 4 times. Now I know that no one builds a motor just to take it easy on it but it still concerns me. My other concern is that the block was built with H beam rods, my trans and t-case are stock and I don't really plan on pushing anything more than 500whp ever but I want this engine that I buy to be a sort of drop in, maintain and enjoy for 100k more miles sort of a thing. The engine has got 5k miles and was built by a shop on the east coast which he has all the paperwork and what not to show for.

What is everyones opinions on this? I would then be able to sell my block and my head (though I would probably swap my head onto it since I have s2 cams and beehive springs).

I have gotten a few other options, a few being 2.4lr blocks for $3500 with a head gasket and pump, I would need the rest. I was also offered to build my 2.3 for around the same $3k range.

This feels really overwhelming but I am working my way through it slowly. Any advice is appreciated thank you!
Old Jan 5, 2019, 06:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I know it looks tempting, but for $6K I would be more interested in having something built (fresh). Buying a running motor, w/all the unknown variables, would keep me away

Would likely cost you more, but "Buy once / Cry once"

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jan 5, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
I know it looks tempting, but for $6K I would be more interested in having something built (fresh). Buying a running motor, w/all the unknown variables, would keep me away

Would likely cost you more, but "Buy once / Cry once"

This ^^

All that trouble to pull your motor and put a used motor in is a gamble aint worth it unless you know the guy and car its from. If you're going to pull your motor anyway, if its still in good nick, why not spend your 6k on a reliable rebuild?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
at the minimum pull of the oil pan and valve cover and do somewhat of a visual inspection. It would be even better if you can take off cam, rod, main caps and inspect bearings. Also do a leak down test if possible as well
Old Jan 6, 2019, 05:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Would measuring the PTW clearance be too much to ask before purchasing
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
IMHO, you're better off sending the block out to ER and have them build it. It's better to have it done right(not saying the block in interest isnt but..) and KNOW exactly what was done.