Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help! Max boost 13psi

 
Old Mar 11, 2019, 08:21 AM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
(Solved) Help! Max boost 13psi

*Solved by resetting ecu!

Hi guys,

been following this forum for years but never managed to register until today.

i own a stock very low mile (19k) 9RS.

at wot it used to boost around 17-21psi. Today, however, the boost would not go beyond 13psi.

no other odd behaviour from the car except the boost.

Would appreciate your advice on where I should start looking!

thanks guys

Last edited by V9RS; Yesterday at 01:37 AM.
V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 08:24 AM
  #2  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (3)
 
MinusPrevious's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: So.Cal
Posts: 5,617
Thanked 738 Times in 706 Posts
Hello / Welcome

Boost leak test is in order for sure.

You have an RS? Post up some pics here please

Thanks: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ry-thread.html
MinusPrevious is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 08:36 AM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious View Post
Hello / Welcome

Boost leak test is in order for sure.

You have an RS? Post up some pics here please

Thanks: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ry-thread.html
I shall obliged 😉

Will look into leak test, but car revs very smoothly and boost buildup is very progressive with no hesitation.

maybe I will check the BCS
V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 08:58 AM
  #4  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,259
Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
Sounds like your BCS is has failed or perhaps the wiring going to it has become problematic. Are you using the factory boost control solenoid or something aftermarket? 13# is right around WG pressure so that would be where I'd start.
heel2toe is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 09:15 AM
  #5  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Sounds like your BCS is has failed or perhaps the wiring going to it has become problematic. Are you using the factory boost control solenoid or something aftermarket? 13# is right around WG pressure so that would be where I'd start.
I have the same suspicion! The car has a factory boost control solenoid, but it does have a very modest reflash on stock ecu (the tuner might have modified the restrictor pill). I do have a brand new factory hose with stock restrictive pill, should I try to put this back?

Could my best bet be removing the intake box and checking the BCS and wiring?

thanks dude
V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 09:53 AM
  #6  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,259
Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
When did this start happening? Was it tuned and running the proper boost or was this a result after the tune? Would be good to narrow down if its tune related or something mechanical.
heel2toe is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 06:26 PM
  #7  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
When did this start happening? Was it tuned and running the proper boost or was this a result after the tune? Would be good to narrow down if its tune related or something mechanical.
The car was tuned years ago, and it ran fine until yesterday. So, I donít think it is tune related, but it could be the tampering of hoses and pull that could make them loose over time?

will remove intake box today
V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 09:32 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Took a peek at the BCS: no loose wire or hoses I can see.

Could the BCS be dead?



V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 11, 2019, 09:38 PM
  #9  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Current max boost (dropped from 1.2-1-4)
V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2019, 09:02 AM
  #10  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,259
Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
See if you can follow the vacuum hoses to see if they got pinched or disconnected somehow. One should go to the pre turbo intake and I believe the other goes down to the j pipe on the turbo, sorry forget how the factory solenoid is plumbed actually lol.

That being said if this just randomly started happening and no wires of lines are disconnected then my best guess is the solenoid has died. Do you have anyone you can swap with for a quick test?
heel2toe is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2019, 09:23 AM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
See if you can follow the vacuum hoses to see if they got pinched or disconnected somehow. One should go to the pre turbo intake and I believe the other goes down to the j pipe on the turbo, sorry forget how the factory solenoid is plumbed actually lol.

That being said if this just randomly started happening and no wires of lines are disconnected then my best guess is the solenoid has died. Do you have anyone you can swap with for a quick test?
I think so, too! No pinched/disconnected hoses I can see. The boost just randomly dropped to 13 the other day.

Just ordered a brand new factory BCS from Mitsi, hopefully will receive it within 10 daysí time.

planning to put the new factory hose and restrictor pill along with the BCS.
V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 12, 2019, 09:38 AM
  #12  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,259
Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
Yeah given that it it droped to right around 13# which is basically WG pressure its gotta be that. Report back when you get it!
heel2toe is offline  
Old Mar 15, 2019, 08:31 AM
  #13  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Yeah given that it it droped to right around 13# which is basically WG pressure its gotta be that. Report back when you get it!
Need a little help:

Got a little confused when I ordere the solenoid.

Majority of evos seem to use single solenoid, but just found out on other threads that my 9RS may use twin boost control solenoids. I did order the single brown solenoid (pic attached). Can I use this single brown solenoid on my RS, and do I need to replace the black solenoid



I ordered MN143554(Pic below) which has different mounting bracket compared to twin solenoid configuration, but I could unscrew the brown solenoid from mounting bracket and replace it on my RS bracket, provided that it is the suitable solenoid.

V9RS is offline  
Old Mar 21, 2019, 02:56 PM
  #14  
EvoM Super Moderator
iTrader: (41)
 
heel2toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 4,259
Thanked 64 Times in 62 Posts
Sorry I missed this. Do you have any updates for us? Sadly my knowledge of the evo platform is limited to what I've dealt with here in the states and sadly what we got is a dumbed down version. No ALS, duel solenoids AYC electrionic HVAC etc etc. Have you searched on MLR as I think that might be a better avenue for your JDM spec evo.

Alternatively if you have someone who can tune your car you could always pick up a 3 port solenoid and have it tuned for ecuboost( and up the boost a little while youre in there). However, I've also seen pictures of your evo and its minty fresh so perhaps keeping it 100% stock might be what you're after. Sorry I cant be any more assistance but hope you can get to the bottom of this!
heel2toe is offline  
Old Mar 22, 2019, 04:18 AM
  #15  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Bangkok
Posts: 13
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe View Post
Sorry I missed this. Do you have any updates for us? Sadly my knowledge of the evo platform is limited to what I've dealt with here in the states and sadly what we got is a dumbed down version. No ALS, duel solenoids AYC electrionic HVAC etc etc. Have you searched on MLR as I think that might be a better avenue for your JDM spec evo.

Alternatively if you have someone who can tune your car you could always pick up a 3 port solenoid and have it tuned for ecuboost( and up the boost a little while youre in there). However, I've also seen pictures of your evo and its minty fresh so perhaps keeping it 100% stock might be what you're after. Sorry I cant be any more assistance but hope you can get to the bottom of this!

dual selenoids arrived and replaced!

unfortunately the boost still peaks at 13psi 😢

will try replacing vacuum lines tomorrow
V9RS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.