Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th Gear Grind???

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2004, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th Gear Grind???

Ok...just in the last few weeks I have noticed when I get on it...and shift into 5th, it does a quick grind in. Almost as if the clutch isn't depressed all the way in. Is this the infamous 5th Gear Grind everyone talks about? It seems to only happen after I got on it some. Never happens at normal shifting and normal speeds.

If so...

Anyone know of a GOOD dealer in the Northern IL or Southern WI area that is trust worthy to work on it and NOT deny me because I have a couple of basic mods (intake, MBC, 3" TB Exhaust)??? Also...I do still have the 1-2 grind at higher RPMs...I'll need that done too.
Old May 25, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well the 5th gear grind happens to me too man, sorry don't know anyone around there, still looking for what i need to get rid of the grind.
later
Old May 25, 2004, 08:11 AM

Yep

I also had the 5 gear grind, it continually got worse as my OEM clutch went to ****. I just purchased a Hyper Exedy clutch and have not had the quick grinding sound since. Basically the OEM clutch sucks ballz
Old May 25, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same 5th gear grind problem. I'm hoping my cusco twin plate clutch will take care of the problem.
Old May 25, 2004, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

I had the 4th gear grind and after i got ridicuously bad they finally fixed it with new synchros. I shift so slow into 5th that I feel it would be impossible to mess that synchro up. After 4th gear fifth my car has pulled all i need and 5th is for cruising. I guess i have never had the need to do a high rpm shift into 5th on a regular basis but I have to admit after getting the new synchros 5th is a lil harder to get in gear. Good luck and take it to Mitsu and let a rep drive it with you in the car and maybe they will get it fixed.
Old May 25, 2004, 08:54 AM

I used to have the 5th gear grind. I stopped skipping gears, stopped shifting into 5th when I was still accelerating, and I don't have it anymore.
Old May 25, 2004, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

bump
Old May 25, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

There's a TSB out on it. Take it to any stealership and they should fix it for you.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Crystal Lake Mitsubishi is currently replacing all my rotors, and taking care of the notorious "5th gear grind". Mitsu is covering all expenses
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Any dealers mod friendly?? Libertyville Mitsu isn't!
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rebelzx
There's a TSB out on it. Take it to any stealership and they should fix it for you.

What is a TSB? I have the 5th gear grind as well. I have also heard that there is a special transmission fliud that will stop this and help ease all shifts. Lancershop.com sells it for like 30.00...
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

yeah...mitsu of Crystal Lake is mod friendly. I have full exhaust, intake, safc, and others. they have not said a word about it.

they are located at rt.31 and rt 176 in C.L.
tx: 815-459-9000
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes.. TSB is a technical service bulletin.. Its NOT a recall, but they are aware that some cars have an issue..

The TSB is specific to 5th/Reverse selector fork, and its synchro.. under certain circumstances the fork gets distorted, in turn it damages the synchro and you get the grind.. sometimes its due to a missed shift or a forced shift into 5th.. other times it happens for no reason whatsoever. HOWEVER according to the documentation that my dealer showed me.. Its a KNOWN issue that is only serviced if the owner complains about it.. and it is covered under your warranty. There are two revised parts for the transmission that will fix this problem.

I do also notice that the selectors in ALL of the gears gets out of whack after awhile (they either bend or get distorted with hard shifting or if the shifter jams and you force it) and they have to be readjusted.

All I can say is this isn't really a "Mod issue" but as a rule of thumb, we as Evo owners should ONLY deal with mod friendly dealerships, this will force the others to eventually become mod friendly.

but DEFINITELY go have it serviced.. it will only get worse.. a 5th gear grind is generally not an abuse issue, and will not generally be viewed as such.

Oh, and no matter what others say, this issue has NO correlation to the Clutch.. the reason the issue shows more, then goes away with a new clutch is the wear on the clutch (usually the throwout bearing or fork pivot ball) becomes misaligned an no longer fully disengages the clutch.. replacing the clutch means replacing the pilot bearing, the throwout bearing, and readjusting the pivot and fork (the hydraulic system is self adjusting so it takes care of itself) but it will eventually come back if its grinding due to synchro wear, and 5th gear synchro wear is a result of one of two things.. a missed shift grinding the cogs off the synchro, or the selector fork and gate are allowing the synchro to grind when not fully engaged.

Last edited by MalibuJack; Jun 1, 2004 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

good post Jack, preciate it. I called my dealer and they sd it could take a week, shoud it take think long to re-align or fix this syncro issue?
Old Jun 1, 2004, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

yes, you will be lucky to have it back in a week. My Evo was given to the dealership 3 weeks ago. They got the parts in on saturday. They advised me they would begin the work today. After speaking to them on the phone, they advised they will begin working tomorrow. NOW I AM PISSED!

Quick Reply: 5th Gear Grind???